Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PDF60 versus PDF70  (Read 288 times)

Offline guitarplayr

PDF60 versus PDF70
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »
Picked up a used black Parker Maxxfly but I honestly do not know if it is a PDF60 or PDF70.

I read all the specs I can find, but it seems the only real differences are mahogany versus basswood, and black pearl versus black burst color.

is it just the glossiness of the paint that will ID me the exact model or am I missing something else?

Re: PDF60 versus PDF70

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:23:09 PM »
The black pearl has some metal flake in it, which would be a higher grade finish than solid black.

Some people will disagree, but mahogany might sound different than basswood to you.  (I personally think they sound a little different, and like them both.) 

Also, basswood is just slightly lighter in weight.

So, "better" wood and "better" paint means the pdf-70 retailed a bit higher than the pdf-60. 

Less info here on those models but still worth searching the forum a bit.

IMHO I wouldn't worry too much about slight differences, and just enjoy it!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline guitarplayr

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
I will take a closer look at the paint, thanks for the clarification.  Right now it is in the shop getting a setup.

I got it for a pretty good price, maybe because the trem bushing was cracked (of course). I think because the kid that sold it didn't know it is an easy fix (thanks forum). 

I have a bushing coming, now to get a trem bar, and unblock the tremolo.  I paid about 150 less than I saw one used online.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
you bet, great deal you got, simple fix.

You can look inside the control cavity too and check the wire holes for wood color.  Basswood is more white/yellow and mahogany is brownish pink.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]