Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking to by a Fly-- What is the difference between Artist, Classic, and Deluxe  (Read 86 times)

Offline dspiffy

Only thing I can tell from the interwebs is the artist is made of different wood.

BTW when filling out the questionaire to join, one of the questions was "What color is snow?".  I was upset it would not accept "yellow"

Re: Looking to by a Fly-- What is the difference between Artist, Classic, and Deluxe

Online sybersitizen

Artist: Spruce body; normally with a visible grain finish, but I think there have been painted ones
Classic: Mahogany body, normally with a visible grain finish, but I've seen painted ones
Deluxe: Poplar body; normally with a paint finish

These distinctions are explained on the Parker website and/or in the downloadable product catalogs.

(Apparently Frank Zappa was not consulted by the forum designers.)
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Re: Looking to by a Fly-- What is the difference between Artist, Classic, and Deluxe

Offline dspiffy

I couldnt find the Classic on the Parker website.

Offline dspiffy

Also, why does the Classic have less knobs?

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
Welcome to the forum!

There have been many changes to Flys through the years (some minor some not-so-minor) so, if I can make a recommendation: I think you might find it helpful to read through the catalogs on the Parker website starting with the earliest year and then work your way up to the most recent. The biggest difference between Fly models is the wood combinations; Parker’s website also provides some narrative regarding how those different wood types translate tonally into the unique construction of a Fly.
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Online sybersitizen

I couldnt find the Classic on the Parker website.

If you want to know about the Classic (and a bunch of other Parker models) you have to dig into the catalogs.

Also, why does the Classic have less knobs?

There were two chronological generations of Flys. The generations have several differences including the number of knobs. An Artist, a Classic, and a Deluxe of the same generation will be the same in their controls and layouts except for the woods and the finishes.

Again, the story is in the catalogs, but an overview is here:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,7128.0.html
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers