Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitefly NFM-M piezo not working-where to start looking  (Read 367 times)

Offline buy14u

Nitefly NFM-M piezo not working-where to start looking
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
Hi all!
When I put the 3-way switch in the down (piezo) position, I get nothing.  The contacts on the switch are clean and working properly.  What do I need to check?
Thanks
Victor
2009 Parker Nitefly, 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, 2011 Glazeguitarworks Tele, Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

Re: Nitefly NFM-M piezo not working-where to start looking

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
Hi Victor,

Just to rule out the obvious: are you using a new 9-volt? Are you using a stereo cable? Can you verify that the magnetic pickups work?
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97 || More Info

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:11:25 AM »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline buy14u

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »
So-I replaced the battery with a new one, and connected a stereo cable-still nothing from the piezo.  What should I look at next, or is there a Parker repair center I can send it to?

Thank You
Victor
2009 Parker Nitefly, 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, 2011 Glazeguitarworks Tele, Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

Offline buy14u

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
Ah-Yes, the magnetic pickups work great!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »
If you've confirmed that you can't get sound from the piezos in any of the ways described in the document, you can hope it's just a loose wire, a bad switch, a bad pot, or a bad jack. If it's not one of those things, I suppose it could be a problem with the circuit board. Someone will have to open up the guitar to look around.

There is no Parker factory or repair center to send it to, but any competent local guitar technician should be able to at least narrow down the problem. Compatible replacements for most of the parts other than the circuit board are readily available. Even the board could be completely swapped out with a different one, but I assume it would have different control characteristics.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline axejock

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 02:59:58 PM »
I'm a newbie here, but I had trouble with my "new" DF 724 Piezos that I posted in the "new owner" thread under the general discussion section above. JamieCann (sp?) said that the 3 way switches used on Parkers were quite troublesome, and encouraged me to take a close look at the switch, disassemble it, bend some tabs within, and see if that helped. See the discussion on that thread as I thought the switch was fine, but taking it apart yielded some interesting problems. These switches have caused problems on many of my guitars and are the first thing I examine (or replace) when a pickup stops working! Jamie's advice was right on!