Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does anyone have non-stock Pickups in their Fly or P Series?  (Read 238 times)

Offline dspiffy

I swapped the pickups in my P-36 for Bill Lawrence Keystones and I LOVE the difference. 

If I keep my P-42 I may swap the pickups.  The stock pickups sound comparably dead after playing a Fly and the upgraded P-36.

Also toying with replacing the pickups in my Fly.  I love the idea of a split middle position but it has almost too much quack for me-- it sounds like bridge/middle on a Strat.  I prefer neck/middle or neck/bridge (i.e. Tele).

Anyone done any pickup swaps and loved/hated it?

Re: Does anyone have non-stock Pickups in their Fly or P Series?

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »
Re:Pickup swap in a Fly...I've done several, and documented one here.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15918.msg139328.html

It's a fair bit of work to get them in there, but anything is possible. (: Its not a project for the squeamish.

I still have the one from that post, and I do in fact like it. I've had plans to put more interesting pickups into more Flys, but life's other projects have taken over...

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
Swaps in p series should be pretty easy, no pup modding needed. Great guide by reset there.

I went through a few pups in my df, which came with a Duncan custom custom. Stayed with Duncan but tried a few. I finally put the custom 5 in and I’m really pleased with it. Basically a slightly hotter paf with ceramic mags. The others had great lead sounds but chords left me wanting a little more crunch.

I have a mojo shell I modded to use a Tom bridge. It has dimarzio evo2, which are too tall for stock fly routes.  They do fit with the extra routing I did to the shell. Not sure how much I like them though, I only installed them long enough to check that they work before taking it all apart for paint.  Maybe they need a bit more gain or volume to shine.  I’ve had a fred in other guitars and liked it, so if the evo doesn’t work out I’ll do that.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:41:48 AM »
Two Flys: One with Gravity Storms and the other with an Air Norton and PAF Joe. Some day I’ll get around to putting AN-Bluesbucker sets into both.

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »
What are the advantages of your replacement pickups?

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:16:21 PM »
I just like trying different pickups. I’ve more-or-less settled on the AN/Bluesbucker combo being what I prefer in my Flys but, between the hassle of replacing Fly pickups and my having settled on a pair of Strandberg Bodens as my main guitars, those projects have been relegated to the back burner.