Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bring back the Master Volume knob !  (Read 8384 times)

Offline 21st Century Schizoid Man

Bring back the Master Volume knob !
« on: February 08, 2006, 03:37:53 AM »
I really like the sounds from my Mojo when I blend the mag pups with the piezo. However once you get the blend you like, it is then very difficult to adjust the overall volume. In fact its impossible to do while playing IMHO since it requires turning the two volume knobs to the right volume and then further adjusting the piezo knob to restore your preferred blend.
So I say bring back the Master Volume knob. Or else make one knob the master volume and the other a blend knob (that way you could get rid of the mag/piezo switch too)
Anyone agree?
Or am I missing something obvious (most likely answer [:p])

Offline sfw

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 09:25:19 AM »
I vote for the blend knob with the master volume too. I'm not sure how difficult the wiring might be/become though. Would that also bring back the tone control for the piezo's too? I know when I talk about what I want to do with my local guitar tech's they often say, hmmm, I'm not sure how that could be wired? Too much time spent doing boring things with strats and gibsons I guess. I don't know why more people aren't more interested in piezo on their guitars?

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350 (piezo & modeller killer)
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (still needs Cabs ):
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:37:50 AM »
I think this is one of those times where it makes more sense for you to alter your guitar then wish for something that might never happen and if it did would cost you way more money then altering your guitar.

You already have your guitar and if there is another issue which would influence your swap putting in a master volume is easy and cheap.

Get a stacked pot, replace your mag volume pot, wire up one pot for the magnetics and one in line with the output of the piezo. Now you have a master and a pot for the piezos you can use to set your balance.
[^]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »
^ +1

Offline trap

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:41:31 AM »
wouldn't it be easier to use a volume pedal?

Offline sfw

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 11:45:27 AM »
just expressing my personal preference too. I've got to learn more about wiring to put the blend in my p38. When I talked to a couple of local store tech about it, they said "what? We haven't seen many of these around." Gotta find better techs in my area :) Either that, or I'm going to have to move the whole family somewhere else...

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350 (piezo & modeller killer)
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (still needs Cabs ):
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man

I really like the sounds from my Mojo when I blend the mag pups with the piezo. However once you get the blend you like, it is then very difficult to adjust the overall volume. In fact its impossible to do while playing IMHO since it requires turning the two volume knobs to the right volume and then further adjusting the piezo knob to restore your preferred blend.
So I say bring back the Master Volume knob. Or else make one knob the master volume and the other a blend knob (that way you could get rid of the mag/piezo switch too)
Anyone agree?
Or am I missing something obvious (most likely answer [:p])

Hello custom shop, goodbye savings$$

Only through death may one truly live!
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:14:37 PM by Ocker »
Only through death may one truly live!
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by trap

wouldn't it be easier to use a volume pedal?

Only if you were looking for a pedal instead of a knob.  Actually, with the price of a good stereo volume pedal, it might be about the same cost, too, but you could always sell your stuff easier without permanent mods.

Offline Dann Glenn

• http://www.dannglenn.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
True. I endorse Morley pedals and they are not cheap.

Dann

Dann Glenn
Parker Guitarsâ„¢ Endorser
http://www.dannglenn.com

Offline rt0412

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 01:48:24 AM »
The stacked pot will only work in stereo mode...

The L.R. Baggs Ctrl-X will do the job though. I've tried it... the only problem is that it's somewhat confusing to use. Depending on whether you're in mono or stereo mode, the controls work differently. If you happen to accidently switch from mono to stereo while in the middle of playing, you might be in for a big surprise (and confusion).

The Fishman Powerchip is not as versatile and cannot function as a blend control. It's much simpler to use though.

Pick your poison...

Actually we need to have somebody combine the features of Ctrl-X and PowerChip and do away with the purists "unbuffered mag output on stereo mode" bull****.

These would be the features I'll come out with (if have the resources to develop a Piezo/Mag Blender):

* Buffer both the Magnetic and Piezo signal and use a blend (balance) control to mix the two. Blend control should have a center detent where mag and piezo output are equal. This eliminate the "mag only, mixed, piezo only" switch.

* There should be a trimpot to adjust the output of whatever signal is louder. Why? The piezo doesn't neccesarily would always be the one with the higher output.

* Phase switch.

* Master Volume Control - a single pot electronically controlling the output attenuation of both the mono (mixed) or stereo (seperate mag/piezo) signal.

* Low output impedance such that tone is unaffected even with the use of long cables.

* Autosense cable type and switch to mono or stereo mode accordingly.

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I think this is one of those times where it makes more sense for you to alter your guitar then wish for something that might never happen and if it did would cost you way more money then altering your guitar.

You already have your guitar and if there is another issue which would influence your swap putting in a master volume is easy and cheap.

Get a stacked pot, replace your mag volume pot, wire up one pot for the magnetics and one in line with the output of the piezo. Now you have a master and a pot for the piezos you can use to set your balance.
[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:23:52 AM by rt0412 »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 08:25:50 AM »
You say "you have done it" done what? Tell us about what you did how does it sound and how does it work? What year guitar was this done to?

The post was discussing an issue on the "refined" Flys which doesn't apply to the original Flys. The new Flys already use the Fishman power chip. Personally I would rather have a switch to go from mono to stereo. I think it gives you an interesting option impossible to get with an automatic switch. On my Deluxe I can run a stereo cable into a stereo rig and still switch the piezos into the magnetic amp you can't do that with auto sensing. [^]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo: 1996 Parker Fly Deluxe: 1998 Parker Fly Classic: 2005 Fly Bass: 2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50: 1982 Boogie MKIIC+: 2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline rt0412

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »
I have a NiteFly NFV2 (originally S/S/H with no preamp). I installed the LR Baggs Ctrl-X initially instead of the Fishman PowerChip. It can blend the mag and piezo signal.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_ctrlx.shtml

You can download the product manual. It's got both the installation instructions (for a Strat, but you can adopt it to a Parker) and user guide.

So by using Ctrl-X in mono-mix mode, I was able to blend the mag and piezo and use the volume control as the master volume control... that's what I have done.

I didn't like the extra mono/stereo pushbutton switch though and the confusing change of the controls function depending on the mode.
I eventually changed over to the Fishman PowerChip for operational simplicity.

The point is, if you want the capability to have a master volume control and a mag/piezo blender control, it can be done by changing over to LR Baggs Ctrl-X preamp/mixer.

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

You say "you have done it" done what? Tell us about what you did how does it sound and how does it work? What year guitar was this done to?

The post was discussing an issue on the "refined" Flys which doesn't apply to the original Flys. The new Flys already use the Fishman power chip. Personally I would rather have a switch to go from mono to stereo. I think it gives you an interesting option impossible to get with an automatic switch. On my Deluxe I can run a stereo cable into a stereo rig and still switch the piezos into the magnetic amp you can't do that with auto sensing. [^]

Alex

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:33:33 AM by rt0412 »

Offline crisden

• http://www.dividedskymusic.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »
Aside from all of the suggestions and workarounds, I agree with 21st CSM's original post. I was dismayed to find that my '06 Mojo doesn't have a master volume pot similar to my '97 Classic. I play in a prog rock/metal band and need to access many different tones and colors within each song and having to juggle the mag volume pot and the piezo volume pot at the same time can be a bit much. I think it was a strong oversight on the part of the Parker design team to opt to eliminate the master volume pot from an otherwise excellent instrument.
Crisden

Divided Sky
www.dividedskymusic.com
absorb--accept--embrace

Clips available at www.dividedskymusic.com and www.myspace.com/dividedskymusic

Offline porieux

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »
i really wish my '06 Mojo had the master volume also...

I never understand when good features go away...reverse progress?

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »
Right now my head is kinda spinning from all the tech talk, but I do want to say I'd like a master volume knob. I do own a nice Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal that works great, however when you get older like me you want to simplify everything. I guess I'm lazy but I'm tired of hauling all this little stuff around to my gigs!

Parker P36 (Red)
Adamas II 1982
Washburn RS-10V 1987
Fender Tele USA 1998
Korg AX1500G Toneworks
"A Fly for each hand!"