Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gold switches as seen on Parker Fly Spring Edition  (Read 565 times)

Offline joedreamliner787

Gold switches as seen on Parker Fly Spring Edition
« on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:27 AM »
Hi guys,
     I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a pearl white fly and sourcing a on-on-on in gold color was easy but there are two switches I cannot find which are on-off-on and also a momentary (on)-off-(on) switch. I don't like the tiny switches that come with the graphtech ghost kit and noticed midi flys loaded with a ghost system do have a regular sized switches. There is a koa midifly on cmc guitars that has gold switches but I am having a heck of time trying to find them. Even if I can get them in silver I can bring them to a jeweler and have them plated?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Gold switches as seen on Parker Fly Spring Edition

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:09:16 AM »
I am looking for the same thing too! Finding one in gold is pretty much impossible. In fact finding a on-off-on with a fat bat, or a black cap has been difficult in itself. I decided to take out my gold bridge, gold pole slugs in pick ups, and just go back to silver and black.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
I am looking for the same thing too! Finding one in gold is pretty much impossible. In fact finding a on-off-on with a fat bat, or a black cap has been difficult in itself. I decided to take out my gold bridge, gold pole slugs in pick ups, and just go back to silver and black.

I hear ya. A jeweler can dip it in gold or even a powder coater by it's not cheap.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »

I hear ya. A jeweler can dip it in gold or even a powder coater by it's not cheap.

Depends on where you live but I’d call a bumper chrome shop they might do electric-plating or know an electro-plating company that would apply gold cheaper than a jeweler.

I have seen home electro-plate kits but off-hand not sure where to get them.
 I saw a US quarter once electro-plated that way and it was a nice gold finish.

An anodized finish might be considered but it won’t be a bright shiny gold but more matte, though you could use clear nail polish for shine.
 For that matter maybe gold nail polish or hobby type model paint would work.  Both would be easy to touch up and fairly durable.

There are drawbacks to powder coat on fine parts and pieces.
Powdercoating fills holes,thread,slots etc. and results in a thicker overall finish. 
I always see these guys building custom choppers on T.V. re-ream threads and bushing holes after the powder coating because of the electrostatic charge drawing the paint to all surfaces.

Just wanted to chime in with some of my experiences with plating and coatings.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:30:41 PM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »
So there's hard gold plating and soft gold plating..a jeweller will generally use soft gold plating, as in pure gold.

Industrial, mechanical and etc uses (like a switch) will use hard gold plating, which includes various other metals in trace quantities to create a much harder wearing durable finish.

Jewellery is decorative, and jewellers are more concerned with the integrity of the finish and purity of product etc. Soft gold plate will wear off quite quickly with repeated use/touching etc.

My dad was a jeweller, grew up with him plating stuff in the back room of the family home, amongst other things...find an industrial plater, you will have to dismantle the switch etc, but it is do-able, theoretically..

So, there you go!

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 07:13:38 AM »
So there's hard gold plating and soft gold plating..a jeweller will generally use soft gold plating, as in pure gold.

Industrial, mechanical and etc uses (like a switch) will use hard gold plating, which includes various other metals in trace quantities to create a much harder wearing durable finish.

Jewellery is decorative, and jewellers are more concerned with the integrity of the finish and purity of product etc. Soft gold plate will wear off quite quickly with repeated use/touching etc.
?
My dad was a jeweller, grew up with him plating stuff in the back room of the family home, amongst other things...find an industrial plater, you will have to dismantle the switch etc, but it is do-able, theoretically..

So, there you go!

B.S.

Interesting!
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
Big swifty right on the money, as usual!

Have you seen allparts.com?

https://www.allparts.com/Switches_c_496-1-3.html?applyfilter=L9DDyXcDA4pW7Z%2Bdhw0TZWBfd2ULI%2BUjOJcNi%2F%2BH0ql8%2F8SXW4uleRo4f9C7PqhGBAIUMfYEC%2Bex%0D%0AGPaE8VUIruBLMoyYBK7AqGVtfmupye0%3D

Even if they don't have exactly what you need, I'd check the manufacturer of the gold switches and see if they have something else on their own site or distributors site.  Worst case, I'd be inclined to frankenstein the gold bat from a switch I don't want (from same manufacturer) into a switch that I do want, or modify the contacts somehow.

Plating or powdercoating would require disassembly regardless and probably not at all cost effective.  Both services usually do things with minimum runs to avoid waste and set up fees.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]