Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fluence installation  (Read 669 times)

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Fluence installation
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
I wonder if anybody tried to get a pair of Fluence pickups in the pre-refined fly?
I'm intrigued by these pickups and looking at feasibility.

First question is: Does anyone have a pre-refined dimarzio on hand and can measure the depth of the pickup? If it is much too shallow, then the rest is moot.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Re: Fluence installation

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »
Here you go, measures at a smidge over 14mm.

Or maybe a smidge under 15mm..

Either way, hope the Fluence will fit, they do look interesting..

B.S.

[\
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Hmmm, looking at this:

https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/fluence_electric_guitar_pickup_dimensions.pdf

The humbuckers are 18mm high...you might be able to get them in.

Figuring an elegant way to screw them down's going to be a bigger challenge  though...

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:21:13 PM »
I'm contacting Fishman.  Let's see what they say!

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
I’m interested too.

The fit issues at the bridge are 3 as I see them- the actual height is not 18 mm, but 22 because of the connector on the bottom side.  The mating connection may add a little more too. Definitely won’t fit without routing though. Plenty of room to go deeper at the bridge, the neck I wouldn’t recommend.

The second issue is the corner radii. The fly routes have bigger radii and the fluence have sharp corners that will interfere.

The last issue is how to mount them. Double stick tape could work but I think it would be best to route for the ears.

The mojo project I have posted here is a good example of how deep you’d need to go, and emg corners look about the same as fluence.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »
Actually the OpenCore version is just bobbins, like the DiMarzio. No sharp corners.
The bottom connector is the main issue I think.  I'm checking with Fishman if we can have some other alternative there.
I don't want to route my guitar. So it'll be black and white. It fits or doesn't!

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »
Mmmm, well just to get real geeky here (and split the difference..)

22.6 mm to the bottom of the tab - 2.49mm tab thickness = 20.11mm to the bottom of the connector thing.

That's on the "modern humbucker"

I'm presuming you'd cut the tabs off, but yeah, connecting etc..

Worth taking note that the connector on the modern 8 string is thinner again, so they may be able to conjure something.

B.S.

94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
Mmmm, well just to get real geeky here (and split the difference..)

22.6 mm to the bottom of the tab - 2.49mm tab thickness = 20.11mm to the bottom of the connector thing.

That's on the "modern humbucker"

I'm presuming you'd cut the tabs off, but yeah, connecting etc..

Worth taking note that the connector on the modern 8 string is thinner again, so they may be able to conjure something.

B.S.

Right.  I did that math too trying to take everything into account including the thickness of rubber at the bottom of the cavity.  It would be real nice if that worked out.  All I've ever wanted is a Fly that really sounds like a Paul!
The Mojo was close but the refinements eventually turned me off.  It didn't have the same "mojo" as my Deluxe.

And I made a mistake in selling my original Deluxe which had pickups tailor-made for me by Steve Blutcher at DiMarzio.

I also want to check if I can manage to install a switch that allows me to split the coils or not.  I miss the two-humbucker sound of everything on.

Ah! Never satisfied!!!

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
Yeah, never type a response regarding math and measures in a car with your wife driving and two kids in the back on the way to get ice cream.  and it was great too.

Agree with your math, in my head I was thinking its about 22mm with the mating connector but that's not what I typed. 

Cool about the open core versions- didn't know about those!

But I still stand by my comment that you'll need to route for depth.  You could probably squeeze by with a 1-2 mm height difference but these are taller than the EVOs and I routed the pockets on my mojo project to fit those.  I don't remember how much but it was something like 4-6 mm deeper and then I also made deeper pockets yet for the ears. 

It may be possible to drill a pocket for the fluence at the connector only and that might get you there.  But I think you might need to do more, which could also potentially interfere with the pole piece mounting approach.  Not sure how willing fishman is to do custom type stuff...

Love to think about creative approaches for stuff like this so please don't take my comments as a wet blanket, they're just things that IMHO bear some consideration.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
Yeah, never type a response regarding math and measures in a car with your wife driving and two kids in the back on the way to get ice cream.  and it was great too.

Agree with your math, in my head I was thinking its about 22mm with the mating connector but that's not what I typed. 

Cool about the open core versions- didn't know about those!

But I still stand by my comment that you'll need to route for depth.  You could probably squeeze by with a 1-2 mm height difference but these are taller than the EVOs and I routed the pockets on my mojo project to fit those.  I don't remember how much but it was something like 4-6 mm deeper and then I also made deeper pockets yet for the ears. 

It may be possible to drill a pocket for the fluence at the connector only and that might get you there.  But I think you might need to do more, which could also potentially interfere with the pole piece mounting approach.  Not sure how willing fishman is to do custom type stuff...

Love to think about creative approaches for stuff like this so please don't take my comments as a wet blanket, they're just things that IMHO bear some consideration.

Lol!   Billy I would never take your communication as a downer. You're one of the most helpful persons I know.

I've been through the exact same thought process on this and I'm not particularly hopeful that this project will see the light of day.  Im just looking at options and possibilities. And right now, it looks like it's going to be too tall.  Let's see what Fishman comes back with.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
Yeah yeah, the old "kids/wife/car/ice-cream" excuse....heard it all beofore... ;D

So..if the 1st gen DiMazzios are 14.5 mm, then you're going to need to find say 6mm..

Now, there's enough wood under there for the threaded insert things, so...

Gotta watch that contouring though.

I've also been through all the various pup/wiring wants and urges (who hasn't?!) but ultimately i've ended up just loving it for what it is..you know, that old thing....

Personally, i wouldn't do it to my Fly.

I would, however, think about getting another one for experimenting on...

B.S.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:26:42 AM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
;)  what’s not to like about ice cream
Billy