Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DiMarzio Pickup Wiring  (Read 986 times)

Offline dspiffy

DiMarzio Pickup Wiring
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
According to Dimarzio,

Red = hot
Black & white = coil tap
Green = ground

That is the same as how a Parker bridge pickup is wired, but the neck pickup is wired as follows:

White = hot
Red & green = coil tap
Black =  ground.

I cant find anything on the web of any other DiMarzios being wired this way.

I get that you're tying together the "west" side of the pickup instead of the "east".  I assume it's so you are still in phase while bucking hum in the dual single coil positions.  But I dont fully understand why.

Re: DiMarzio Pickup Wiring

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
EDIT: The pups are not rotated with regard to each other as stated, clarified later in the thread.

Yes, you've asked the question that consistently stumps the forum...

Working out the polarities and all that of PUPs does my head in, i did go through a whole phase (sic) of drawing the switch logic out and all the combinations of pickups  etc, but that was a while ago and it's sipped into the distant foggy past now.

It's worth remembering that the bridge pickup on the Fly is also physically turned 180 degrees from the neck pickup, if that helps clarify anything...

B.S.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:29:38 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »
Is it flipped?  I spent an inordinate amount of time going over the wiring with Jeff from JJ guitars, in part trying to figure out if one pickup was flipped or reverse polarity or had flipped magnets.  They both look the same way up, and the wiring only worked when I used his schematic for NOT flipped.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:05:37 AM »
Look, i'm not near my guitar ATM, however IIRC (and it has been a while) one of the pups is rotated in relation to the other.

Maybe this thread will cast light on it,

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,11013.msg100272.html#msg100272

I'll have a quick look later in the week

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »
I had the pickups out of both guitars, and I dont remember the wires coming out of the opposite side like in that diagram.  I'll have to look again.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 01:42:25 AM »
EDIT: The pups are not rotated with regard to each other as stated, clarified later in the thread.

OK, had a look at the bridge pup..nope, so....it's the neck pup that's rotated, knew one of them was!

Bit hard to tell, but the coils end at the top of the pup (where the knife blade is in the first pic) and the coloured wires run around the edge of the pup under the tape and comes out in the bottom corner, as per. You can kind of see them peaking out halfway along the inside edge of the pup.

Second pic is a closeup of where the winds end and the coloured wires start, which is the top of the pup, looking down at it from the playing posi.

Why?...Something to do with the way the switch logic works i also seem to recall..

Cheers

B.S.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:30:06 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 02:49:36 AM »
Interesting. I wonder what difference swapping the direction it makes to the sound?

As a side note I have long believed that the tonal differences between different pups in like-for-like configuration is greatly exaggerated (mainly by the manufacturers in pursuit of product differentiation) and something that can mostly be ironed out by bit of EQ’ing. As a popular thread on this forum argues, 90% of tone is in the hands. I’d also add that a further 5% is a combo of pups, wood, strings etc and the remaining 5% is in your head. ;D
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 04:33:56 AM »
You know..why didn't i try it to find out!!!

Sheesh.

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »
The reason for the flip is so when you  select the two-single-coil setting, it is still hum canceling.

Then the reason for the backwards wiring is so that even though one is still flipped, they are still in phase.

NOW my confusion is, with my JJ switch, the only wiring that worked was for a NON flipped pickup configuration.  Back to the drawing board.

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
Until you mentioned the jj switch, I wasn’t sure what the nature of your question was. 

But, mostly speculation on my part -my theory here is pretty rusty- I believe the phase is intentionally inverted in the pcb buffer for blending the piezos and mags. This is probably to avoid phase cancellations and help maintain consistent levels.

So, wiring the neck mag in reverse is sort of a “two wrongs to make a right” when split and not blended.  I think. The diagrams are likely correct.

Google “buffer inverted guitar signal” for more/better info?

I’m not sure how that affects your switch wiring, but probably easier if you can not run the mags through the pcb. There’s a number of posts here about that (bypassed mags).

Keep us posted on what you find..!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:21:33 AM by billy »
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
The switch is before the active electronics, and if you connect the output of the switch directly to an amp, it is the same as a guitar with no active electronics.

The JJ switch has several wiring options-- for guitars with nothing flipped, for guitars with one pickup flipped, for guitars with the poles reversed in one pickup, etc.  Not to mention the different wiring and color codes for different brands of pickups and guitars.

The only way I was able to get the switch to work was using standard DiMarzio color codes with nothing flipped or reversed.  That confused me, because in the standard guitar wiring, one of the pickups is wired inside out (see above).  That's even more confusing if it's also upside down.

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
Got it. You bypassed the mags.

One wrong = wrong.

Cool stuff.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
For testing purposes, I bypassed the active electronics, and solely used the magnetic pickups.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »
Because i'm a geek....

and FWIW,  (i have done this once before however here it is replicated with a new set of screen grabs..)

Pre-refined Fly deluxe phase test post pre-amp.

The phase of the pups.. tested by tapping each coil with a screwdriver. I 've only shown one coil of each pup in order to be able to fit it all in once magnified, so you're going to have to trust me, both coils on each pup showed the same.

Of interest is the difference in mag and piezo transient response, the piezo just jumps straight up there!
EDIT: On second thought, it may just represent the screwdriver approaching the magnet, as it's ferrous/magnetic, whereas the piezo has no forewarning, so to speak..

1. Mono...Guitar in Mono mode, you can see waveform goes up first .
2. Stereo..GUitar in stereo mode, you can see the waveform goes down first.
3. Combined...Guitar first in mono, then in stereo, with mag/piezo switch in combined/middle posi, and mag switch in middle posi, you can see absolute phase of all pups the same, and likewise all inverted in stereo mode.

Thing to do next is to measure directly from the mag pups, ie take the back plate off and connect to the switch..maybe another day.

Annnd...photobucket, you're breaking my heart, won't let me upload successfully ATM, so here's an Imgur link

https://imgur.com/a/xSmWRuV

B.S.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:30:40 AM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »
As I recall,  the pickups are not flipped or reverse polarity in any way.  The wiring modifies the neck humbucker to "start" on the south coil (white wire) which allows the inside coils in the middle position.  They are in phase as the polarity of the signal going through both pickups is the same. I've used the bridge pickup in the neck and vice-versa with no change to the wiring
scheme. If they were different,  this would cause problems and I've had no issues.

The Dimarzio polarity is...

(North Coil) Red@@@Black (South Coil) White@@@Green

where @@@ is the coil.

so the bridge humbucker -- the signal goes RED-BLACK-WHITE-GREEN

the neck humbucker goes WHITE-GREEN-RED-BLACK

so same direction,  just the order of the coils is reversed to allow for the center position coil tap that enabled the inside coils using the 4 pole switch.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.