Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: coil split  (Read 178 times)

Offline Mapletop

coil split
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
i just put a push / push tone pot .took out the push / pull.i wired it up just like the other switch that was in it .it will coil split the bridge but not the neck.anybody ever come across this?the guitar is a 2005 mojo
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:23:38 PM by Mapletop »

Re: coil split

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
If you used a like-for-like pot and the existing capacitor there should be no difference. Did you take a photo of the wiring before you changed it over?

And are you sure the neck pup was actually split previously?
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
+1. A coil split is one of the simplest switches; so the only thing that could go wrong is that the neck series connection isn’t being put to ground. Make sure each pickup’s series connection is soldered to its own middle switch lug, and that the ground wire is passing through both top contacts. If you end up with a phase and/or hum-cancelling issue, then you’ll need to switch which wires go to the middle switch lug.

Offline Mapletop

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
you know i got thinking about did i split the coil on neck pickup before i did this so i dont know.but i do know when i rewired it the neck pickup was making noise the bridge didnt.i was thinking something might be wrong with the pick but i got it stopped.

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Do you have an ohm meter?