Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sperzel Locking Tuner problem  (Read 391 times)

Offline buy14u

Sperzel Locking Tuner problem
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
The high e tuner on my parker NightFly will tune the string almost to a d pitch, then I hear a slight pop, and the string goes slack.  I've tried multiple times with the same result.  I checked to make sure the string was tight in the tuner and it is.  Any thoughts, or is the tuner shot?
Thanks for your help!
2009 Parker Nitefly, 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, 2011 Glazeguitarworks Tele, Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

Re: Sperzel Locking Tuner problem

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
Are you sure it's the tuner letting go? Or is it the string partially unwinding at the other end? Lots of people report the latter, and it has happened to me. If so, wrapping the string through the barrel end beforehand can prevent that.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
Agree, the ball end unraveling is more likely here. Some guys solder them but running the free end once through the hole in the ball end should do it. FWIW I only had an issue with d’addarios doing this.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »
+1.
Daddarios also caused me problems on the e string on my Nitefly. Changed to Ernie Ball, all good.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:22:07 PM »
Yeah, what is it with D'Addarios and that high E?

Havn't had it happen for quite a while though..

If it's not the string itself, then the internals of the tuner have some problem, a stripped cog/thread/whatever it's called, or partially worn so as it only slips when it comes under tension.

Or maybe the pin itself is worn at the end and not fully locking properly

Try tightening (a bit) the screw on the top of the tuner button, see if that helps, otherwise...

You could try unscrewing the back/locking thumbscrew completely, see what's going on in there, but pretty sure that'll wreck the threads, make it kinda bodgy from here on in..make sure you can get your hands on a replacement before going down this road!

Cheers

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
Crazy physics I think.  Something about the winding method and string diameter, along with torque initiated from stretching and then combined with the geometry of the hole. 

Had it happen on JB's mojo last night...
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline marvin jensen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »
I probably have a replacement Sperzel if yu find that the tuner is really the culprit.