Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So now the Russians are attacking the Parker Fly market with "Fake Features"  (Read 453 times)

Offline TheGrail

• Lifelong guitar synth guy
    • My soundcloud (hours of fusiony fun, all played on Parkers)
Just stumbled into this on eBay.  Kind of amusing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Fly-Mojo-Very-Rare-Ebony-fingerboard/123261841449?epid=78656950&hash=item1cb2fa7029:g:9XYAAOSwH8FbUm1z

Bask in the glory of that rare ebony fingerboard! (never was a Fly made with anything but graphite fabric and glued stainless frets)   You can just feel the mahogany tone oozing from the wood (serial number says it's poplar).
93 Deluxe, 97 FrankenFly, 98 Deluxe w/GK pickup, 98 Deluxe w/no electronics, 03 Mojo

Re: So now the Russians are attacking the Parker Fly market with "Fake Features"

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
I saw that listing when it first went up--the original owner must have had to replace the fretboard or the truss rod or something like that. Swapping the original carbon fretboard for ebony certainly wouldn't be a mod that I'd want done unless it was completely necessary!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97 || More Info

Re: So now the Russians are attacking the Parker Fly market with "Fake Features"

Offline TheGrail

• Lifelong guitar synth guy
    • My soundcloud (hours of fusiony fun, all played on Parkers)
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work - the graphite is only 1/16th of an inch thick - any thickness of ebony would be way too high and the frets would all be too high.  I think he's just over hyping because it looks like ebony.

Roy
93 Deluxe, 97 FrankenFly, 98 Deluxe w/GK pickup, 98 Deluxe w/no electronics, 03 Mojo

Offline sybersitizen

Sure looks like wood to me:

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

Looks like wood to me too. Agree with VJ, must have had an issue that required a fretboard replacement. Also agree the carbon fretboard is very thin so you can’t just slap a piece of ebony on there.

However, having just successfully replaced a mojo fretboard myself, a veneer would still allow for cutting fretslots into the wood below- but it would not add much stiffness. So I’m betting they planed the neck flat to allow adding a 3/16” or so piece of ebony with the correct radius on top. A side view would be telling. 

Not something I’d want to do to a fly either, but given the resources available, especially in Russia, this is imho a clever repair that should allow a broken guitar to be playable again.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Looks pretty legit though... if it's a copy it's very well done. I wonder if someone custom ordered one like that? Parker used to do some kinds of customization, but this is not something I can ever recall seeing before. Usually it was more like putting sustainer pickups in, or things along those lines. Maybe it's a prototype they were toying around with? I dunno...

Offline Big Swifty

Photoshop?

Anyway, i asked the seller the question, see what the response is.

B.S.

Edit: And got a response within 5 mins:

"Hello!
Yes, it seems to be an unusual one. I have never seen this model with ebony fingerboard before, only carbon, but I have contacted with Parker official support with photos and they confirmed it to be original, but special order.

Feel free to ask questions if there are any."

So...i guess they had access to ebony boards at the time given the other ranges on offer. Seller seems legit, be a nice guitar to have..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:42:08 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
I believe the main guy at Parker during that time was Terry. 
He chimed in on a couple of forum threads (I think in 2009) as he was trying to solve the dilemma of falling off frets (due to de-bonding from the fret board).
At some point, he toyed with idea of using standard frets (with tangs) on a composite fret board. 
This involved slicing through the composite, which he eventually realized was a bad idea.
I would not be surprised if this ebony finger board was one of Terry's "experiments" as a direct result of his work on the fret issue. 
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
I believe the main guy at Parker during that time was Terry. 
He chimed in on a couple of forum threads (I think in 2009) as he was trying to solve the dilemma of falling off frets (due to de-bonding from the fret board).
At some point, he toyed with idea of using standard frets (with tangs) on a composite fret board. 
This involved slicing through the composite, which he eventually realized was a bad idea.
I would not be surprised if this ebony finger board was one of Terry's "experiments" as a direct result of his work on the fret issue.

+1

Offline billy

you know, I do think I remember seeing something about Terry trying an ebony fretboard. 
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]