Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How I Got More Sounds Out Of My Pre-Refined Fly (Wiring Mods)  (Read 102 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
How I Got More Sounds Out Of My Pre-Refined Fly (Wiring Mods)
« on: September 10, 2018, 02:18:33 PM »
Hey all, I know it's like I returned from the dead but I haven't really been into guitar for a while... lots of things have happened that kind of put that on the back burner.

Anyway, I was not happy being stuck with only three sounds with my '95 pre-refined Fly so yesterday I decided to do a coil tap switch on it. I did not want to drill a new hole, and wanted to keep the guitar original looking. So what I decided to do was to eliminate the master volume control because I never really used it (just unsoldered it from the ribbon cable and jumpered the hot connections) and in its place I put a 500K push-pull pot so I could use it to connect/disconnect the red/green and black/white wires from ground to get a "coil tap". I am so much happier now that I did this. Now I have six different sounds and I must say that the Gen 1 pickups don't sound that bad as a "single coil". In fact, I'd say that I like that sound generally more than the std humbucking set up. The push-pull pot fits in the cavity with about 2mm to spare.  :o

The other thing I'd like to do is get a blend control so I can pan between bridge and neck pickups when in the middle position, but I am not sure how to do that, or if it's really even possible. I want that to be active only when the PUP switch is in the middle position. The only hassle is the real lack of room in that cavity with the motherboard in there. Sorry, not interested in converting it to point-to-point. Anyone ever try to do this on any two pickup guitars with similar switching?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:21:56 PM by Paul Marossy »

Re: How I Got More Sounds Out Of My Pre-Refined Fly (Wiring Mods)

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
Wait a minute.....

How do we know you're the real Paul Marossy, and not just some ZOMBIE Paul Marossy???!!!!

I mean...the real Paul Marossy would know how to use the forum search function to search for blend mod, and lo and behold...the first hit is from... Paul Marossy!!

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16756.msg144269.html#msg144269

Somethings just not adding up, can't quite put my finger on it...

;)

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
Wait a minute.....

How do we know you're the real Paul Marossy, and not just some ZOMBIE Paul Marossy???!!!!

I mean...the real Paul Marossy would know how to use the forum search function to search for blend mod, and lo and behold...the first hit is from... Paul Marossy!!

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16756.msg144269.html#msg144269

Somethings just not adding up, can't quite put my finger on it...

;)

B.S.

Ha ha, no it's the real me here. That didn't really work. All it was doing was varying how much of one of the coils in the humbucker was grounded, it was not actually a real blend control. It kinda worked but it's really too subtle and you don't actually get single coils, the best you can get is a humbucker with a single coil when the "blend" control is at one extreme. With the coil tap switch I can get all single coils, but I can't blend neck and bridge when in middle position. I don't know that it's a big deal as that might not really be that useful, but I was thinking maybe it could give me a little more variation in sound.

Isn't that what the "refined" Fly did with the middle position, is make the two inside coils active and ground out the outer ones? Maybe I'm not remembering that correctly. Or maybe that's what my Nitefly Mojo did? I sold that one a couple of years ago. In any case, I feel like I have a whole new guitar now. Pretty cool...  8)

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »

Well, that's certainly what the pre-refined Fly does in middle position, two inside coils active, outside grounded.

Can't speak to the others, pretty sure the refined FLy's were the same, and the Mojo's added a coil tap?...someone here's gonna know.

Have a search for "spin-a-split" theres a few threads that may be of help.

And welcome back not zombie Paul!

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »

Well, that's certainly what the pre-refined Fly does in middle position, two inside coils active, outside grounded.

OK, so then what I've done is made it so I can have a pair of humbuckers in middle position, or pair of single coils in middle position, and either humbucker or single coil on bridge and neck. This allows me to get a wider range of sounds, which makes me much happier. I did the original mod four years ago, forgot some of the details about the original wiring.  :-[