Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Setup problems/Parker tech in L.A.?  (Read 469 times)

Offline 24dB

Setup problems/Parker tech in L.A.?
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »
Hi all,

New poster here, great board.
I have two parker Fly deluxes, both pre-refined.
One is green and has serial 041109BP. (1999)
The other is purple and has serial 033036BP (1996)
Very similar guitars in many ways, but for the life of me I cannot get the purple one to setup properly.
I keep comparing it to the green one, which was perfect when I got it years ago, no buzzing, great action, very close to the board. I've tried not to mess with it at all.
I dial in the same bridge and truss rod settings on the plum and its just a buzzy fretty mess. I have to loosen the truss and raise the bridge considerably to make it playable, and of course at that point it doesn't have the sweet action and playability of the green one, strings are all higher off the board by a millimeter at least. Nuts seem identical, measure the same. Both have .9s with the appropriate plate. Necks don't appear warped.
Any suggestions or ideas? If not, anyone know a good tech in Lost Angeles for Parker setup?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.
24dB
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:27:05 AM by 24dB »

Re: Setup problems/Parker tech in L.A.?

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
Check is a fret is lifting.
I had an issue with my 96 classic which I could not resolve.  No amount ion tweaking on the neck seemed to handle the fret buzz I was getting. Then one day .. Pop! the trouble fret came off.  Wow. Issue resolved.  I regaled the fret using the technique demonstrated on an online video by Terry Atkins and that was that. Same beautiful playability as ever.  Didn't even need to crown the fret or dress it.
So you might have one fret partially lifted.

To check on this, simply go up the neck until you get fret buzz and press down on the next upstream fret and see if the buzz disappears.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »
Welcome- and agree with patzag's comments.  Would like to add that a lifting fingerboard can do this to your fretting too.  Check for paint cracks along the top edges just below the frets. 

Keep your parker out of extreme heat and also don't use any oils or commercial cleaners on your fretboard, doing so can weaken the adhesives.

Post pics if you're in doubt and want second opinions.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline 24dB

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies! It was indeed a partially lifted fret, once I figured out where the buzz was coming from.
Fixed and now plays good as new. Much appreciate the good advice!

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
sweet!  glad to hear it worked for you.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]