Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Fly Classic 2001 & Boss WL-50?  (Read 609 times)

Offline KP

Parker Fly Classic 2001 & Boss WL-50?
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »
Hi,
I have a 2001 Parker Fly Classic and want a simple wireless system. The Boss WL-50 looks ideal but does anyone know if it works well with this Parker? I think I would lose use of the piezzo pickups but I can live with that. Thanks.

Re: Parker Fly Classic 2001 & Boss WL-50?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »
I don't see why you would lose the piezos. When you use any standard (mono) guitar cord, you can select mags alone, piezos alone, or both blended. That should work the same way with the Boss gadget.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
Because the Boss has a TRS plug for charging, I can see that it might not work with the Parker.

I use the XVIVE U2.  If the transmitter is positioned too close to the guitar's electronics, sometimes it makes noise.  Otherwise it works perfectly.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
Looking at this page, I see no red flags that apply to the OP's pre-refined Fly:

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/wl-50/support_documents/eade711c-1f5a-4951-988b-e8e863611c64/

The functionality of the following types of guitars will be limited.

Guitars with 1/4" stereo (TRS) phone output jack.
* Only the signal from the left (tip) channel will be output.

The following types of guitars are not supported.

Guitars with no sufficient space (cylindrical space with 18.5 mm diameter and 5 mm depth) to attach the transmitter around the input jack.
Guitars with special electrical wiring.
- Some guitars with active pickups *1
- YAMAHA Silent Guitar *2

*1 The typical TRS output jack wiring of guitar active circuit is audio to tip, ground to sleeve, and battery ground to ring. In rare cases where ring and sleeve are wired reversely, the guitar active circuit doesn't work properly with the WL-T.

*2 It is not compatible with the WL-T due to a special wiring specification.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
One thing to consider is that the Fly output level is on the hotter side than your average passive pickup guitar, so any wireless unit you use will need to have the ability to adjust the signal level going into the unit in order to compensate. For example, I used to use a Sennheiser wireless unit and I had to lower the input gain quite a bit to prevent clipping.

I don’t know much about the unit you’ve mentioned, but it’s something to keep in mind.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
Capacitance characteristics are adjustable, as described on the same page I referenced earlier:

Q: I'm using a guitar that has both active and passive pickups, so should I purchase the WL-20, the WL-20L, or the WL-50?
A:
You can use any of the three (the WL-20, WL-20L, or WL-50), but we recommend the WL-50, which lets you switch the CABLE TONE feature.
* For information on the CABLE TONE feature, refer to this (the "WL-50: What kind of benefits does CABLE TONE provide?" link).
The CABLE TONE feature simulates cable effects during combinations of passive-pickup guitars and cables.
The low-impedance signals of an active-pickup or preamp-equipped acoustic-electric guitar or other such instrument do not experience cable effects, and so setting CABLE TONE to OFF is desirable.

Comparisons of the CABLE TONE feature
WL-50
You can use the switch to select OFF, SHORT (characteristics of a cable of approx. 3 meters), and LONG (characteristics of a cable of approx. 6 meters).
WL-20
The characteristic are of a cable of approx. 3 meters.
WL-20L
This is off.
For Reference
When using the WL-20L with a passive-pickup guitar, the sound tends to be somewhat brighter than the sound when using a guitar cable.
When using the WL-20 with an active-pickup guitar or preamp-equipped acoustic-electric guitar, the sound tends to be somewhat warmer and softer than the sound when using a guitar cable.

... etc.

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:30:19 AM »
Hi,
I have a 2001 Parker Fly Classic and want a simple wireless system. The Boss WL-50 looks ideal but does anyone know if it works well with this Parker? I think I would lose use of the piezzo pickups but I can live with that. Thanks.

Just trying to clarify (I hope).   You don't lose the piezos, but you would be stuck with the mono mag/piezo blends if you have the piezos engaged.  Meaning, no stereo since both signals are summed to the tip, and the ring connects to the wireless unit's ground.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline KP

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks very much for all your replies. Just a couple more questions if that's OK...

1. As I now understand this, if I plug the TRS WL-50 transmitter direct into the Parker (ie: with no conversion to mono TR connection) both magnetic and piezzo pickups will be available either seperately, by switching to magnetic or piezzo only, or together by switching to the middle setting BUT in that case there will only be a summed mono out and no stereo split as you would get with a stereo cable connected? If that's the case the WL-50 will work fine for me. Your comment was helpful here Billy. Have I got this right now?

2. While checking into other "plug & play" systems the comment did come up a few times (dspiffy also mentions this) that using them in guitars with active pickups there could be noise because of the positioning close to the guitars electronics. The positioning of the Boss WL-50 transmitter cannot be adjusted so I wonder if that could cause a noise problem. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks very much for all your replies. Just a couple more questions if that's OK...

1. As I now understand this, if I plug the TRS WL-50 transmitter direct into the Parker (ie: with no conversion to mono TR connection) both magnetic and piezzo pickups will be available either seperately, by switching to magnetic or piezzo only, or together by switching to the middle setting BUT in that case there will only be a summed mono out and no stereo split as you would get with a stereo cable connected? If that's the case the WL-50 will work fine for me. Your comment was helpful here Billy. Have I got this right now?

Yes. It is the same as what's available when you use a mono guitar cable going to an amp.

2. While checking into other "plug & play" systems the comment did come up a few times (dspiffy also mentions this) that using them in guitars with active pickups there could be noise because of the positioning close to the guitars electronics. The positioning of the Boss WL-50 transmitter cannot be adjusted so I wonder if that could cause a noise problem. Any thoughts on this.

Can't say.

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
Has anyone confirmed that?  Since the Boss uses a TRS plug.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »
Has anyone confirmed that?  Since the Boss uses a TRS plug.

Is this ambiguous ... ?

The functionality of the following types of guitars will be limited.

Guitars with 1/4" stereo (TRS) phone output jack.
* Only the signal from the left (tip) channel will be output.

Apparently the transmitter only uses the third conductor of the plug when it's inserted into the receiver, which has a jack that can only be used with the transmitter. From the user manual:

TRANSMITTER jack

Connect the transmitter here.
* Do not connect anything other than the WL-T transmitter made by BOSS.
If you connect headphones, high volume sound might be emitted, or the headphones might be damaged.

The documentation is convincing enough to me ... but there is no way that the behavior with a pre-refined Fly can be 100% confirmed until someone actually uses that gadget with a pre-refined Fly.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 12:03:40 AM »
The positioning of the Boss WL-50 transmitter cannot be adjusted ...

Actually, it probably can be adjusted. It only cares about the mono signal carried by the tip and sleeve, so you could use a 1/4" mono male to female extension cable a few feet long to keep the transmitter away from the guitar.

Offline KP

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the extra information sybersitzen. I'm happy to order one of these now. I'll let you know how I get on  :)

KP

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
Keep us posted!

FWIW I think there is an IC on the pcb (that regulates power) which can induce a high pitched sound into certain signal paths if you get too close to it. 

A short "extension" cable might work great and also help to keep it out of the way.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline KP

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
Hi Billy,
I will keep you posted although there's a delay on the order so it may be a while  :)
I'm hoping I don't need to do an extention cable as ideally I want the simplicity of the straight plug in. Having said that, I have bought the Hosa GPP 151 TS right angle as I read somewhere that this may help to position the sender far enough away from the guitar's electronics - only time will tell!
KP