Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ribbon Cable needes  (Read 526 times)

Offline Orange993

Ribbon Cable needes
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
Hi,

i need the wide ribbon cable for a parker fly deluxe pre refined. has anybody an idea where to get one? i know it´s difficult but maybe somebody has an idea?

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Dirk

Re: Ribbon Cable needes

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
I looked around for one myself and couldnt find anything.  I ended up repairing mine.

However there are a lot of advantages to converting to point to point and the graphtech system.

Or you could simply unsolder the ribbon cable connector from the board and solder wires in place.  Messy, but it would work.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
The ribbons are no longer in production, haven't been for a long time.

Best bet is putting out a call on the various Facebook/forum pages.

You can replace the ribbon with wires as suggested, but getting the connector off is a b*tch, easiest is to leave the connector in place and solder the wires to the bottom/underneath of the board.

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
I looked around for one myself and couldnt find anything.  I ended up repairing mine.

However there are a lot of advantages to converting to point to point and the graphtech system.

Or you could simply unsolder the ribbon cable connector from the board and solder wires in place.  Messy, but it would work.

Not all of us think that the original Fishman board stinks.  ;)

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
I still have a "cheater" semi-rigid flex design on my very long to do list. 

The idea is a very short ribbon with a stiff part at the end which plugs into the pcb but allows a point to point hybrid approach to connecting off pcb components.   Ideally this approach could also provide a little flexibility to minor wiring variations too.

If there's enough interest, I could try and move this higher up the list and maybe do a "group buy" to get some made at a flex pcb supplier.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »

The idea is a very short ribbon with a stiff part at the end which plugs into the pcb but allows a point to point hybrid approach to connecting off pcb components.   Ideally this approach could also provide a little flexibility to minor wiring variations too.

If there's enough interest, I could try and move this higher up the list and maybe do a "group buy" to get some made at a flex pcb supplier.

Now there's a good idea!..

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Orange993

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:03:39 AM »

Thanks. I´m interested in. Really good idea. 

orange993

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
maybe sometime in the next two months I can get something quoted.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline marvin jensen

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
If possible just trace the path of the ribbon  and solder a small wire from one point to the other, bypassing the connector (ony needs to be done on the faulty "line"

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
If possible just trace the path of the ribbon  and solder a small wire from one point to the other, bypassing the connector (ony needs to be done on the faulty "line"

If you're really good, you can even possibly scrape off the plastic between the two broken points and solder a short piece of resistor lead between those two points... but that all depends on the nature of the failure.