Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any recommendations for a fret dressing in CO.  (Read 525 times)

Offline Mr303

Re: Any recommendations for a fret dressing in CO.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Never heard of this! The hardened SS frets on Parkers don't show any sign of wear. My Gibson and Fender would wear with string dents and I would still play them till they fretted out and buzzed. Parker's don't do that. Plecked a Nitefly and had to finished the sanding with 1-3k sandpaper to get that mirror finish. Won't pleck one again. Search for my adventure. I do wipe down after each play top and underneath string to preserve string life. Weird that OP went through 2 flys.
A Plek is just a tool, and still requires final tool mark removal and polish. A good luthier will do this. My fave guy refretted 2 of my guitars with steel and Pleked them. And they are incredibly smooth. I also had 2 Parkers Pleked (USA bolt ons - he won't do glued frets). Equally awesome.

I'm a big believer in the Plek - in the right hands.

I have a Pleked acoustic parlor guitar and it’s one of the most belittled underrated guitars in most guitar forums and on the net in general. 
Still, It plays very well and with a good set of strings the guitar sounds great. 
It’s a Zager EZPlay....I agree properly executed, a plek machine gives good results.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:14:05 AM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 09:07:27 AM »
Having seen and met the plek guys at NAMM a year or so ago, I can't see how it could fail to do a great job, especially in the hands of someone knowledgeable.  I'm sure someone could hack it up all the same, but you'd have to try.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
I can't say yay or nay to Pleking, having never tried it etc. but i think it's a good idea, in theory at any rate.

However, i enquired about having my DF pleked once a while back, and the guy stopped me mid sentence to ask if the frets were SS, which they are, and he said no, they wouldn't do it, don't do SS as it wears the blade on the machine too much, and those things cost $ and time to replace and all that, which actually sounds fair enough really.

This was a while back, maybe the machines have changed a little since then, but it does point to the many factors in all tech work, quality of tools, adjustments..machines need maintenance etc etc all real world factors that add up.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »
I can't say yay or nay to Pleking, having never tried it etc. but i think it's a good idea, in theory at any rate.

However, i enquired about having my DF pleked once a while back, and the guy stopped me mid sentence to ask if the frets were SS, which they are, and he said no, they wouldn't do it, don't do SS as it wears the blade on the machine too much, and those things cost $ and time to replace and all that, which actually sounds fair enough really.

This was a while back, maybe the machines have changed a little since then, but it does point to the many factors in all tech work, quality of tools, adjustments..machines need maintenance etc etc all real world factors that add up.

Indeed SS frets are not Plek friendly.
Maintaining the setup and cutter head is a major concern as is operator knowledge of his equipment.

Found this thread on harmony central from 2011

Was doing a Google search about Plek machines and this thread popped up. I know it's kind of an old thread but what the heck...

I got quite a chuckle about some of the misinformation on the subject matter in this thread. Here are the current facts about the machine...

1) There are no lasers in the machine

2) The cost for a new one, shipped, set up, and training, is about $100,000 USD

3) There is an ongoing mandatory monthly maintenance fee that is based on the number of instruments you process. This fee covers software upgrades and on going technical support.

4) The machine could be used mobile, but it is best left in a stationary location. When the guys from Germany bring one to show at NAMM, they pack all the moving parts so that they are locked down and cannot bounce around in transit. It takes some time to undo all the locked down parts and get the machine re-set up when it arrives at the NAMM show floor.

5) After the operator is properly trained to run the machine, there is still quite a learning curve in order to be able to produce stellar results. The nuances of how the machine does what it does can only be gained with experience over time. The person needs to have excellent experience in regular luthierie/repair tech skills in order to produce an acceptable Plek job. A crappy luthier will produce crappy Plek work.

6) A Plek machine will not make a "silk purse out of a sows ear" (whether the subject is a guitar or a luthier)

Cheers!
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »

Indeed SS frets are not Plek friendly.
Maintaining the setup and cutter head is a major concern as is operator knowledge of his equipment.

Found this thread on harmony central from 2011

Was doing a Google search about Plek machines and this thread popped up. I know it's kind of an old thread but what the heck...

I got quite a chuckle about some of the misinformation on the subject matter in this thread. Here are the current facts about the machine...

1) There are no lasers in the machine

2) The cost for a new one, shipped, set up, and training, is about $100,000 USD

3) There is an ongoing mandatory monthly maintenance fee that is based on the number of instruments you process. This fee covers software upgrades and on going technical support.

4) The machine could be used mobile, but it is best left in a stationary location. When the guys from Germany bring one to show at NAMM, they pack all the moving parts so that they are locked down and cannot bounce around in transit. It takes some time to undo all the locked down parts and get the machine re-set up when it arrives at the NAMM show floor.

5) After the operator is properly trained to run the machine, there is still quite a learning curve in order to be able to produce stellar results. The nuances of how the machine does what it does can only be gained with experience over time. The person needs to have excellent experience in regular luthierie/repair tech skills in order to produce an acceptable Plek job. A crappy luthier will produce crappy Plek work.

6) A Plek machine will not make a "silk purse out of a sows ear" (whether the subject is a guitar or a luthier)

Cheers!

PLEASE!  Can we get a "Like" button!  LIKE!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline jester700

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 01:08:08 PM »
Sure, steel frets are harder on a Plek - as they are harder on any other fretting tool. That's why those who will do steel frets generally add an upcharge for steel. That's fine by me - the job will last a lot longer, so fair trade, IMO.

The finishing of steel frets after Plekking is also harder and more time consuming, as is working steel frets in the traditional way. Again, upcharge. Or refusing to take the work. Luthier's prerogative.

Steel frets and glued-on are separate issues; my guy will do steel, but not glued on ones.