Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any recommendations for a fret dressing in CO.  (Read 690 times)

Offline Robbie

Any recommendations for a fret dressing in CO.
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
Hello, I’m new to this forum and forums in general. I appreciate in advance any helpful info. I’ve been gigging with a 97 Parker fly deluxe for the last 18 Years. I have two 97’s. My first guitar’s Frets got real bad so my wife surprised me with another 97 fly. Now the second one is starting to show some wear. I live in grand lake CO, about an hour and a half from Denver.  Summit county is also close. Does anyone recommend a luthier familiar with our guitars in this area? Thanks again for any leads.

Re: Any recommendations for a fret dressing in CO.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
I’m in Denver and have little experience with luthiers here...luckily I haven’t needed much work done.

Colfax Guitar Shop has a good reputation https://www.colfaxguitars.com/guitar-repair
They do both acoustic and electric repairs.

Dan Lenz owns Axe Haven on north Federal and is a really good guy and works on traditional electrics but I can’t speak to his abilities for Parker’s or their glued on SS frets.  He does nice work but is semi-retired ...

Matt McGibney is a good guitar maker in Thornton who might do fret work for extra money. https://www.mcgibneyguitars.com/

Forum member TaxguyDave is building his own guitars now and has a store on Reverb.com he loves Parker’s and has a few. Perhaps you could try contacting him through his Reverb store.  He’s in east Denver.
Estes Electrostring on Reverb.com

Make certain whoever works on it knows about the glued on frets.
  TaxguyDave would know but others won’t, guaranteed

Dave is the only luthier on this list I know personally.

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:47:59 AM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
The knowledge base and sense of community on this forum never fails to impress me!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline Robbie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
Thanx mr303. I will look into this after work.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »

Talked with TaxguyDave today and mentioned Fly fret repair.....SS fret work requires special hardened tools/files etc...possible lifting of frets, a reglue, resulting poor alignment etc etc etc.....problems most luthiers don’t want to tackle or could create without knowledge or experience. 

You might have to seriously consider sending it some place like Shazrock to ensure quality work.

Again, good luck
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:27 AM »

Talked with TaxguyDave today and mentioned Fly fret repair.....SS fret work requires special hardened tools/files etc...possible lifting of frets, a reglue, resulting poor alignment etc etc etc.....problems most luthiers don’t want to tackle or could create without knowledge or experience. 

You might have to seriously consider sending it some place like Shazrock to ensure quality work.

Again, good luck

Anything on a Parker Fly is like alien technology to 99.7% of luthiers

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »

Again, good luck

Anything on a Parker Fly is like alien technology to 99.7% of luthiers

agree with this statement about 99.7% luthiers, especially the "techs" who work in your local box store. 

However, the need for special tools, etc to do a fret dress is overstated.  I did a mojo shell with several high frets using standard files and got great results and without issue to the guitar, tools, etc.  Bigswifty's post here on the forum on doing the same work to his fly is what finally inspired me to try it.  (This was a scrap shell I got on ebay due to a slightly botched fretboard that had a few high frets.)

So if you take it somewhere, be sure they understand how the frets are attached and that they are stainless steel, but don't believe all the hype that it makes them impossible to dress.  It IS a little more effort, but really not that much.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Robbie

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »
Thanx again,
Looks like I need to take some time during the day to make some calls around Denver. I always get to this at night. I’m 2hours up the hill from the city or I would just check them out in person. This is for sure the first time I’ve been frustrated with my Parker love. I even have a custom tattoo with one on me.  Hopefully someone down there will be familiar with them. I would assume so. If not, I will be in the market for another late nineties fly when I burn through my current (2nd) one.

Offline Robbie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »
While I wish I had the money or space to be a collector of guitars, I do not. My Parker’s get played, a lot, and hard. Any advice on keeping my frets round in the future? I’ve always used d’addario 009’s. Three gigs then a fresh set. Do any other strings wear frets less? Is there anything else I could do ? I would love for these guitars to last a lifetime

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »
Good luck finding someone local. If they are willing but have questions send them here. Alternatively search for a plek owner who is willing to do your fly and ship it to them.

As for keeping your frets in shape as long as possible, my experience has been best when I wipe the strings after I play. Any crud that sticks to the bottom can act like a little file on the frets.

Unfortunately though some of us just have more acidic sweat and finger oils; I’m not sure what can be done about that.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Robbie

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
Is it ok to use quick fret? I never have, but I also never thought about body oil being bad for frets. I would have thought it would be good for them. I often grab nose or head grease for my fingers. If I’m mid rip, I lick my fingers. Sound gross, but it does the trick

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
The Fly manual says just use water, so I wouldn’t use anything other than water.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline plan-x

• http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 04:14:24 AM »
Never heard of this! The hardened SS frets on Parkers don't show any sign of wear. My Gibson and Fender would wear with string dents and I would still play them till they fretted out and buzzed. Parker's don't do that. Plecked a Nitefly and had to finished the sanding with 1-3k sandpaper to get that mirror finish. Won't pleck one again. Search for my adventure. I do wipe down after each play top and underneath string to preserve string life. Weird that OP went through 2 flys.
00' Fly deluxe S2 HSS
02' NiteFly P (Poplar) HH

John W...in the Mojave
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
Never heard of this!

The only person I know of who actually 'wore out' a Fly is Dave Martone. I can't say for sure what parts were affected, but considering his style and his gig schedule, I suppose we could assume the frets showed some wear. He replaced his first Fly a couple of years back and is working on number two.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline jester700

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
Never heard of this! The hardened SS frets on Parkers don't show any sign of wear. My Gibson and Fender would wear with string dents and I would still play them till they fretted out and buzzed. Parker's don't do that. Plecked a Nitefly and had to finished the sanding with 1-3k sandpaper to get that mirror finish. Won't pleck one again. Search for my adventure. I do wipe down after each play top and underneath string to preserve string life. Weird that OP went through 2 flys.
A Plek is just a tool, and still requires final tool mark removal and polish. A good luthier will do this. My fave guy refretted 2 of my guitars with steel and Pleked them. And they are incredibly smooth. I also had 2 Parkers Pleked (USA bolt ons - he won't do glued frets). Equally awesome.

I'm a big believer in the Plek - in the right hands.