Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ngd 95 Parker Deluxe IP QUESTION!  (Read 726 times)

Offline MadMax

Ngd 95 Parker Deluxe IP QUESTION!
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
Hello I recently picked up a Parker fly deluxe and everything is great but I can’t seem to remove the trem arm. I’ve loosened the set screw but it won’t pull out!

Re: Ngd 95 Parker Deluxe IP QUESTION!

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
I'd try a drop of WD40

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
If you're careful, you can hammer it out from the bottom.  There should be hole in the backplate that allows you to access the trem arm bushing from the back of the guitar.
Insert appropriate tool and tap it out.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline VagabondJack

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
LOL. I'm not even sure where my bar is

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
If you're careful, you can hammer it out from the bottom.  There should be hole in the backplate that allows you to access the trem arm bushing from the back of the guitar.
Insert appropriate tool and tap it out.

this.  Try to avoid wd40 on your parker.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »

Why?

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »

Why?

two main reasons-

the first one is that it can degrade the bond to your frets, like any other lubricant.  Not likely given the location of the bar, but easy to get on hands/fingers etc.

the second reason is that it attracts dust and dirt and over time creates gook in a place that's kind of hard to clean.

one more reason (based on assumption) is that the bar is probably stuck because someone put too drastic a curve on the end (or maybe didn't and glued it in!) and wd40 just isn't a strong enough lube to do the trick in that case.

easiest and most effective way is to set the guitar face down on your lap and tap it out from the back using a nail set and small hammer.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline MadMax

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP! Tried both the WD-40 only a controlled amount and a hammer and Allen key roughly same size as the trem arm and tapped it out. I cleaned the guitar and the area and my hands so no WD-40 got anywhere near the frets. The previous owner probably lodged it in as far as they could.
Anyways this thread is useless without pictureS.

DISCLAMMER NOT BRAGGING OR TRYING TO JUSTIFY, this has been a dream guitar of mine for years! First ever Parker and I couldn’t be happier! With that said I GOT IT FOR $169.99 (185 after tax) at a Sam Ash with the orginal gigbag.
The only issues with it other than the obvious misstreatment of the body was broken spring, already replaced, stuck trem arm (fixed).

Overall I pinch myself everyday that I have one of these.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
Looks fantastic! I’ve always wanted a Fly in that color—seems like you got the deal of a lifetime with that one too! Congrats!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »

two main reasons-

the first one is that it can degrade the bond to your frets, like any other lubricant.  Not likely given the location of the bar, but easy to get on hands/fingers etc.

the second reason is that it attracts dust and dirt and over time creates gook in a place that's kind of hard to clean.

one more reason (based on assumption) is that the bar is probably stuck because someone put too drastic a curve on the end (or maybe didn't and glued it in!) and wd40 just isn't a strong enough lube to do the trick in that case.

easiest and most effective way is to set the guitar face down on your lap and tap it out from the back using a nail set and small hammer.

It's worked for me for rusted/stuck guitar parts for decades, never had an issue.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
It's worked for me for rusted/stuck guitar parts for decades, never had an issue.

I think Billy's caution here is with regard to the Fly's unique glued on frets and the risk of the WD-40 touching them; unless someone reads it in the Fly manual, it's not always obvious that any sort of chemical can unglue the frets.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »

I think Billy's caution here is with regard to the Fly's unique glued on frets and the risk of the WD-40 touching them; unless someone reads it in the Fly manual, it's not always obvious that any sort of chemical can unglue the frets.

Yeah, thx VJ, exactly that and hope to save someone a little heartache!  dspiffy I'm glad you never had an issue, but personally I wouldn't use that stuff on a fly.  That said - no way I'd force you to take my advice. lol  My personal experience is that it makes a bit of a mess, and especially so when applied by others. 

madmax- glad you got it sorted!  I would also love a fly in that color, and you got a screamin' good deal.  Play it like you stole it.  Because you kind of did. :) 

now that you know, don't use any type of oil or cleaners on your frets.  A damp microfiber cloth should do it.
Billy

Offline meltedbuzzbox

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 03:57:39 AM »

Another really good reason to avoid wd40 is that it is really bad for electrics in general.

Why?

two main reasons-