Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some tips in moving  (Read 907 times)

Offline Gitariz

Need some tips in moving
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:24:18 PM »
Moving out of our apartment soon and I have some troubles with packing my guitars. Stringed instruments like guitars need a lot of extra care during packing. Do you guys have any tips on how I can safely store and transport it to our new home? I'm having doubts on including my musical instruments with the movers. I have a friend who owns a truck and he insisted on helping us. It has a truck bed cover and I'm thinking of the guitars there.

Anyway, is it good to put crumpled newspapers in the hard case or should I stick with packing peanuts or shredded paper?

Re: Need some tips in moving

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:01:31 PM »
how far are you moving? 

I've moved numerous times.  Maybe a dozen times in my adult life and each one involved at least 2-3 guitars, amplifiers, etc.  I moved the most expensive ones myself, and let the movers handle the others. 

Typically, I had no issues and the movers have insurance coverage as long as you tell them you want coverage on the instruments.  The worst thing was losing an upholstered pad for a chair and a sledgehammer.  And I got reimbursed.

If its not cross country, then I'd probably just take your friend up on his help with the guitars and anything fragile.   

Assuming the cases fit well, they're made for short trips in a car or van, without any extra crumpled paper, packing peanuts etc.  Just don't put a ton of other stuff around the cases.  If not too far, a separate trip might be worth it.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline EdwardHoward

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 05:14:08 AM »
Need Recommendations I have been using Behringer TU300 Chromatic Pedal Tuner since 8 years but now its damaged looking forward to buy an another pedal which has  Urdu News - ARY News rigid plastic housing and bright led as Behringer TU300. Tuning gets very easy with bright led's.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:44:13 AM by EdwardHoward »

Offline Tangerine~Fly

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:19 AM »
Moving out of our apartment soon and I have some troubles with packing my guitars. Stringed instruments like guitars need a lot of extra care during packing. Do you guys have any tips on how I can safely store and transport it to our new home? I'm having doubts on including my musical instruments with the movers. I have a friend who owns a truck and he insisted on helping us. It has a truck bed cover and I'm thinking of the guitars there.

Anyway, is it good to put crumpled newspapers in the hard case or should I stick with packing peanuts or shredded paper?

Oh h*'ll yes, move them all youself and anything else that is irreplaceable. 
Theft from movers going across state lines gets really ugly over jurisdictional prosecution.
1996 Tangerine Fly Deluxe

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Make sure they have flight cases, then if you can't transport them yourself, box the case and ship them via UPS or FedEx padded well with instructions to "Hold For Pickup" at the nearest location to your final destination.

UPS and FedEx have a good reputation for shipping gear, Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Sam Ash and others do it all the time.

Insights and incites by Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida