Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it just me? My Fly sound is 'nasal' and 'thin'  (Read 143 times)

Offline Fantasiasoul

Is it just me? My Fly sound is 'nasal' and 'thin'
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
I adore playing my Fly (2005 Classic) and with heavily distorted sounds it is absolutely great. I also have an NFV3 NiteFly and it is nowhere near as good and fun to play. All that is expected.

However, when I play with fewer effects for a much cleaner feel, the sound is invariably 'nasal' and shallow/thin (it's hard to describe a sound!). It that normal? I have read that some change the pickups to get a different, fuller, clearer, sound. Can any of you comment on the possibility and difference this can make?
2005 Fly Classic Cherry Red
1995 Nitefly NF3 (SSS) Black/White

Re: Is it just me? My Fly sound is 'nasal' and 'thin'

Online vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
I have those same guitars and I do play them with very clean sounds, so I can confirm that they should not be sounding thin for you. Adjusting the pickup height is something worth exploring as this makes a very big difference. Changing pickups is something that has been discussed on this forum; I've been able to get the sound(s) I want out of my Flys by adjusting pickup height and changing my string gauge and type.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97 || More Info

Offline Fantasiasoul

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:14:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply - it sounds very promising. However, I cannot see how I can adjust the pickup height. The manual does not mention this at all and looking at the pickups on the guitar I cannot see any screws or anything that would enable adjustments. Can you let me know how you adjusted the pickups on your Fly??

Online vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
No problem! The bridge-side coil under the B string is actually a 3/32” hex screw; same thing with the neck-side coil under the A string. Carefully unscrew them to loosen the pickup so that it moves freely in vertical space; then you can manually raise or lower the pickup height. When you’re happy with the sound, you can retighten the screws.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:36:12 PM by vjmanzo »
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97 || More Info

Offline Fantasiasoul

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:10:00 AM »
That's brilliant - my sound is so much better. Thank you very much for your help!

Online vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 05:03:30 AM »
So good to hear, and happy to help!!