Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Volume pedal for my Parker?  (Read 277 times)

Offline KP

Volume pedal for my Parker?
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
Hi fellow Parker owners,

I've got a 2001 Parker Fly Classic which has the magnetic & piezo pickups. I also use a Gibson 335 at times. From what I've read on the internet I should be buying an active (as opposed to passive) volume pedal as this will work well with both guitars. If that's correct, does anyone have any suggestions of qood quality ones that:
1. Provide a good sweep for ambient swells
2. Are not large (Eg: max Ernie Ball VP JR size)
3. Are available in Europe...?

Thanks,
KP

Re: Volume pedal for my Parker?

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 11:53:05 AM »
KP are great initials on this forum!  Welcome.

Anyhow, no, you don't have to have an active volume pedal.  I used a VP junior for years with no issue at all.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline KP

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 02:48:47 AM »
Hadn't realise my initials were the same as Ken Parker's! Nice link :)

Thanks for your quick reply.

OK, can you help me to understand this then. I'd read that when a guitar has a battery it would mean that there were "active pickups" and would therefore need an "active" volume pedal to work best. I assumed "active pickups" would include the piezos and/or the magnetics on a Parker. Is that not true then?

Are there any other volume pedals that are an improvement on the VP Junior? Perhaps that don't have the "string" issues but otherwise work as well, if not better then, the VP Junior? I do want a smooth long sweep...

Thanks,

KP

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
There are no active pickups in the Fly.  You have a preamp that buffers the output and allows the mix with the piezo. The preamp requires the battery.  But the pickups are passive.
Like I said, I used a VP junior with no issue for years.
I also have 2 VP juniors gathering dust because of repeated issues with the string.  Which is too bad, as the sweep and size were perfect for me.
I tried the EV500 and found it wanting so I got rid of it.
I now use a Fractal Audio EV1 which works both as a volume pedal and a controller.  It's a bit pricey and it's a big pedal but it is super smooth and has the same great feel as a "functioning" VP junior.  And it stay put without being stiff.  I recommend it.

Offline KP

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
Hi Patzag,

That was a beautifully clear explanation of what the battery is used for in my Parker. Thanks very much!

The Fractal sounds interesting and I see they have the EV2 now which is a smaller size which would suit me very well.
Looking at prices, I can get the Fractal EV2 for €160 or the Dunlop DVP4 Volume X Mini for €168. Little difference there. Any thoughts on which one to go for?

Thanks,

KP

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
I'm a fan of Fractal so I'm biased.  Never tried the Dunlop myself.

Offline KP

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 03:17:09 AM »
That's grand, thanks for all your help.

KP

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:46:47 AM »
That's grand, thanks for all your help.

KP

Anytime!

Offline KP

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 02:55:52 PM »
Hello again Patzag,

Well, I decided to get both the Dunlop DPV4 and the Fractal EV2 to try out at home and thought you might be interested in the results - nothing technical 'cos I can't do that stuff! I was after analogue volume pedal use.

1. The Dunlop is sturdy - the Fractal even sturdier!
2. Both do expression and analogue volume.
3. The DVP is smaller than the Fractal but the Fractal is also a handy small size and works better for me. The DVP just feels a bit too small although I'm sure you'd get used to it. However, it's all very well getting a very small pedal for the board to save space but when you have adult sized feet (as most of us Parker guitarists do!), you have to leave some space around the pedal anyway (at least at the top) or you can be pressing on another pedal when pedalling down! Therefore I don't think a very small pedal helps much with space saving on the board. Each to their own though!
4. The prices are similar.
5 The sweep on the Fractal, for those "full" volume swells which I was keen to get, is longer and more gradual than that on the DVP4. That's a big plus for me and the main thing that swung it.

So the DVP4 goes back even though it's a very good pedal and if you hadn't mentioned the Fractal I'd have been happy enough with the DVP4.

That's it. Thanks for your suggestion. I would never have heard about the Fractual pedal otherwise  :)

KP

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
Fantastic.  Glad I could help.
If you want to be blown away, try any of their modelers.