Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I want another Parker Fly BUT....  (Read 920 times)

Offline jtees4

I want another Parker Fly BUT....
« on: November 17, 2018, 06:09:15 PM »
I had a 1997 Parker Fly Deluxe. That guitar saved my life. I had a very bad back for a long time starting after heart surgery which also affected my hands and arms. The Parker Fly saved my life a few years back by being about 4.5 pounds, it was the only guitar I could play. I loved the trem and the sound generally too. The piezo even sounded great, better than any other electric I've had with one (had about 5-6). The only reason I sold it ultimately was because I found the neck way to thin, otherwise I'd still have it today. The thin neck started causing hand cramps when my hands would act up. I now can play guitars that are around 7 pounds. Luckily I love SG's and most are under that weight, I also have a Tele that is a bit over 7 pounds and do OK with that. What I would like to know is, are there any Parkers that are known for having thicker necks, or maybe specific years etc. I would love to get another Parker (old or new) just for the hell of it, after all....at the time that guitar really was a blessing to me. Thanks.  :)

Re: I want another Parker Fly BUT....

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:31:00 PM »
The neck profiles of the Fly are "officially" all the same depth, which, obviously, is not "actually" the case. I used to think that the refined Fly Deluxe between 2007 and 2010 had a greater chance of having the thicker profile, but, really, the neck profiles seem to really be all over the map. Somewhere around 2011+, I think Parker started making the Flys more consistently with the thin neck profile.

All of that to say: I have lots of Flys and it's a mixed bag. If you're hoping to get a thin neck Fly, you can ask sellers to measure the neck profile or just buy and try then return them if they're too thin. However: the NiteFly does have a thicker neck profile; my NFV3 is the same thickness as my chunky neck Flys and, to me, feels very much like it (with a little extra weight), so, if you went with one of the lighter NiteFly models (which are also great and very comfortable guitars) then you might find them to be very similar in terms of "feel" to your Fly.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:08:36 PM by vjmanzo »
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Offline jtees4

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:51:14 AM »
The neck profiles of the Fly are "officially" all the same depth, which, obviously, is not "actually" the case. I used to think that the refined Fly Deluxe between 2007 and 2010 had a greater chance of having the thicker profile, but, really, the neck profiles seem to really be all over the map. Somewhere around 2011+, I think Parker started making the Flys more consistently with the thin neck profile.

All of that to say: I have lots of Flys and it's a mixed bag. If you're hoping to get a thin neck Fly, you can ask sellers to measure the neck profile or just buy and try then return them if they're too thin. However: the NiteFly does have a thicker neck profile; my NFV3 is the same thickness as my chunky neck Flys and, to me, feels very much like it (with a little extra weight), so, if you went with one of the lighter NiteFly models (which are also great and very comfortable guitars) then you might find them to be very similar in terms of "feel" to your Fly.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I never played a Nitefly, while I'd love to get another Deluxe I have nothing against trying another model....and I will.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
They're very nice guitars--very Fly-like, in my opinion; just a little heavier.

If it were me, though, and I was hoping for a certain type of neck profile, I'd keep an eye on Guitar Center's used inventory for a Fly so you can buy it, see if it's comfortable for you, and then return it within 45 days. Some Reverb sellers also have a return policy. I'll keep an eye out for thicker-neck Flys for you as well.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Offline jtees4

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
They're very nice guitars--very Fly-like, in my opinion; just a little heavier.

If it were me, though, and I was hoping for a certain type of neck profile, I'd keep an eye on Guitar Center's used inventory for a Fly so you can buy it, see if it's comfortable for you, and then return it within 45 days. Some Reverb sellers also have a return policy. I'll keep an eye out for thicker-neck Flys for you as well.

Thanks....The good news for me is that thicker neck Fly's exist! I enjoy the hunt, now that I know I'm not just wasting my time. Although looking for guitars is something I enjoy no matter what.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Nice!

Offline plan-x

• http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »
Get a Nitefly for the thicker neck. They're about 7lbs.
00' Fly deluxe S2 HSS
02' NiteFly P (Poplar) HH

John W...in the Mojave
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Offline jtees4

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
Get a Nitefly for the thicker neck. They're about 7lbs.

Thanks. I'm seriously going to look into it soon. Do the years matter as far as neck thickness or other things? I see there were many Nitefly's over the years and I think they are still made today....lot's of variables. Does anyone know the differences other than pickups?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:43:54 PM by jtees4 »

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »
There’s a NiteFly history document here that discusses variations over time; I don’t know if the neck shape changed.

Offline jb63

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »
I've got a Southern Nitefly with exactly the same neck as my 1997 Nitefly, if that helps!

Offline jtees4

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »
Thanks vjmanzo and jb63. Lots of good info!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 10:12:29 PM »
Happy to help! Keep us posted when you take the plunge :)

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 12:08:32 AM »
The new Nitefly / Maxxfly (2013-15 6 string models) necks are wooden bolt-ons with no carbon and are thin, but not ultra-thin like some Ibanez Wizard necks. I find them very natural and get no fatigue. The 7 string Maxxfly (which is carbon) feels a little chunkier probably because of the wider fretboard, but it is still a lightweight guitar. Both these guitars are about 3kg/6.6lbs.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK