Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unique Custom Fly  (Read 684 times)

Offline daynwarren

Unique Custom Fly
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:06:15 PM »
Here is a unique Fly:

Formerly pre-refined, it now sports:

*P90 bridge pickup
*Charlie Christian neck pickup
*Free-way 6-way switch, which adds series in phase, series out of phase and parallel out of phase options
*Fishman Powerchip piezo and stereo jack

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:12:45 PM by daynwarren »

Re: Unique Custom Fly

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:37:57 PM »
Holy Moly!! Way cool! Nice work!

Did you manufacture the baseplate design with the pole-piece placement? I've been thinking of experimenting with a rail-style pickup, but, obviously, our Flys use the pole-pieces to mount, which complicates things a bit. This looks great! Would love to hear how it sounds!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
I have the JJ switch, which offers similar but different pickup options.

How do you like the different pickups?  Is the P90 noisy?

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:30:52 PM »
Holy Moly!! Way cool! Nice work!

Did you manufacture the baseplate design with the pole-piece placement? I've been thinking of experimenting with a rail-style pickup, but, obviously, our Flys use the pole-pieces to mount, which complicates things a bit. This looks great! Would love to hear how it sounds!

I didn't make the pickups, Pete Biltoft of Vintage vibe pickups did. He made me a similar set about a decade ago, fantastic pickups. You can see pictures floating around (and a few youtube videos) of an Emerald Green Hardtail Deluxe with those pickups. I sent him some real Fly pickups and he did the R&D to have the baseplate layout right so he can custom create pickups for Fly guitars. I have touted them over the years here not he forum. My friend Matt, who was a Parker dealer for a time (when he ran Cascade Guitars, later Cascade Guitar Lab), also had Pete make a custom set of Fly humbuckers, so I know Pete can make several different Fly pickup sets. I've also had over a don of Pete's pickups in other guitars.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:40:29 PM by daynwarren »

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
I have the JJ switch, which offers similar but different pickup options.

How do you like the different pickups?  Is the P90 noisy?

I have used several of the Freeway switches on Fly and other guitars. They are a lot of fun, and endless schematics, with a company owner who is always willing to help with customizing wiring options. I have used the 3x3, 3x5, and JJ versions, all of them provide different switching options. They even have some 10-way blade switches now.

These pickups sound amazing - I love single coil pickup tone, timbre, and dynamics. To get that sound you put up with a little 60-cycle hum. RWRP so noiseless when both pickups are selected in parallel in phase.

Online jb63

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
I love the freeway switches!

Everyone should try one in at least ONE of their guitars.

I'm pretty jealous about this guitar. 30 years ago I really could have used that setup, but I suppose the crappy Gibson I used worked out. (I just sold that guitar this year!) I would love to take that for a spin, but I have too many flys! (I never thought I would ever get to say that!)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »
...I have too many flys!

Blasphemy!!!!  :D
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Online jb63

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 10:49:46 PM »
How about I add:

"...and not enough paychecks!"

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
 :D

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com