Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MIDI mod for Deluxe Single 2 - with Master Volume  (Read 729 times)

Offline daynwarren

MIDI mod for Deluxe Single 2 - with Master Volume
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »
I just completed another MIDI mod for a Fly owner, which I always enjoy.

This one was fun at it was a Deluxe Single 2 (I owned one of these at one point in the same Silver color - my friend Axel Rudich modded it for me with Lipstick pickups, and a few other forum members owned it as well after I sold it).

The goal was to try to retain as much of the "stock" pre-refined look as possible, as well as to incorporate a master volume (for both piezo and mags, like the original Fly).

The guitar now boasts a Master volume in the stock control location, as well as mag volume and mag tone in the stock locations. It has a 5-way switch with stock pickup settings, and a real Parker pre-refined switch handles mag-both-piezo just like stock. The piezo control location is a stacked pot, the top portion handling piezo volume, the bottom handling synth volume. The stacked knob is very similar to the stock pre-refined knobs that are on the other pots so it retains the stock look even if there is a slight control departure in trading piezo tone for synth volume.

The owner did not need/want any of the other optional synth controls, so the guitar retains its stock look albeit with the black Graphtech saddles.

Battery location stayed the same, with a battery to power the piezo system. Red button location got a new 4-pin switching barrel jack in the owner's preferred black color (there is a story there if anyone ever wants to do that mod), as well as the addition of the 13-pin jack where the 1/4" used to reside.

It is a PHENOMENAL sounding guitar, and looking pretty near stock, a sleeper!

A lot of work, and lots of custom parts and wiring, but a great result. I don't think I've ever seen a MIDI mod Fly (or pure piezo mod Fly) with Graphtech having the master volume added, I like it!

And here it is:

Re: MIDI mod for Deluxe Single 2 - with Master Volume

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Wow Dayn.  This is a masterpiece!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
Wow Dayn.  This is a masterpiece!

Thanks! I think a lot of Fly owners who liked the pre-refined master volume function, will be happy to learn they can have it with Graphtech too!

Offline vjmanzo

• Global Moderator
  • ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
Fantastic!! Nice going!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Offline jb63

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
So mags, piezo & synth all feed into the master volume?
VERY nice!

I like mags & piezo into the master volume and then that it what feeds into the synth so the master volume decides how much of those mix into the guitar volume in my synth patches, but this is a much better idea for most players!

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »
So mags, piezo & synth all feed into the master volume?
VERY nice!

I like mags & piezo into the master volume and then that it what feeds into the synth so the master volume decides how much of those mix into the guitar volume in my synth patches, but this is a much better idea for most players!

Actually it is just a master volume for the piezo and the mags, just like the original pre-refined system. Synth volume is separate and not affected by the master volume. In other words, it is what you would prefer!

Offline jb63

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
But the output from the master volume (Mags & Piezo) is what goes into the guitar in for synth patches, right?

Still, I've never seen that fly with graph-tech parts! That's an accomplishment!

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
But the output from the master volume (Mags & Piezo) is what goes into the guitar in for synth patches, right?

Still, I've never seen that fly with graph-tech parts! That's an accomplishment!

Yes, the master volume affects the overall mags and piezo signals sent into the 13-pin (and therefore the individual mag volume and tone settings, and the piezo volume, are also there, relative to the master volume setting).

It is the first time I have seen or heard anyone doing the master volume mod with Graphtech - I didn't know it was possible, but learned about the mod and did it and it works great!

Prefect for those who love the pre-refined master volume, but have gone point to point with Graphtech parts and want to add the master volume in there to keep thing familiar with the controls.

MIDI mod is not necessary to have the mag/piezo master volume.

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »
Nice post! I personally do not like the sound of the acoustiphonic so I figured out how to install just a hexpander combined with the orignal Fishman preamp and ribbon cable.
I did it to my 98 fly deluxe.