Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pickguard for PM20??  (Read 625 times)

Offline Bluescam

Pickguard for PM20??
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
Hello everyone. I would like to add a Les Paul style pickguard to my PM20. Has anyone successfully done this?
Any input is appreciated. I think I am also going to swap out the pickups for some Tone Planet PUs.
Thanks!

Re: Pickguard for PM20??

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »
The PM20 (and PM10) were not designed to have a pick guard.The sculptured body falls away from the strumming hand making it less likely to need one unless you are a very aggressive player.

The guitar is truly a work of art and IMHO the look would be spoiled by trying to tack on an nasty piece of plastic, even clear plastic. Driving screws into the finish would also be damaging especially if you have a Bubinga or Burled top.

Because the body isn't flat, there is little or no room to attach a standard shape guard at the neck pickup, you would have to custom design one to fit below it, and attach under the strings--pretty ugly. These guitars are physically perfect just as the are. I would not do it.

The stock pickups are Alnico V's and are extremely good. But as with all guitars it's a matter of playing preference, and they can certainly be replaced (in fact I changed mine out). And don't forget the Pro version of this guitar comes with Seymour Duncans.
Keep in mind that the pickup routings in this guitar is for pointed mounting tabs. Most pups have rectangular tabs so you will likely have to grind the new ones to fit.

I have no direct experience with Planet Tone pickups but the samples on their web site do sound good. I would be inclined to go with the PAF's.

Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict

Offline willross

• GrammyPro
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
The guitar is truly a work of art and IMHO

Ditto!

Offline Mr303

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:07:33 PM »
Pick guard.
Pm-20.
See you can’t even write the words in the same sentence. 
But if you’re going to do it, do it nicely with good hardware and a custom piece for the guard, of wood or faux tortoise shell perhaps?
Cheers!
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain