Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ken Parker lecture: Innovation in Guitar-Making  (Read 108 times)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
Ken Parker lecture: Innovation in Guitar-Making
« on: December 07, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share the video from a lecture Ken gave recently at my research lab:

http://electricguitarinnovationlab.org/event_Ken_Parker_11-27-2018.html

I'm especially like the moment at 1:18:39 seconds in when Ken adjusts the action on his archtop without changing the tuning!  ;)

Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Re: Ken Parker lecture: Innovation in Guitar-Making

Offline Tangerine~Fly

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »
VERY cool.

Thank you for sharing this.
1996 Tangerine Fly Deluxe

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 11:59:18 PM »
Happy to do so!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline jb63

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »
This kind of thing is my bag, baby!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »
This kind of thing is my bag, baby!

:D If you’re near central Massachusetts or want to make the drive, you (and everyone else!) have an official open invitation to be my personal guest at any and all future events happening through my lab!

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
Wow, thank you vjmanzo !   I have only watched a third of it so far, but this is a wonderful talk.  I find it intriguing how Ken combines stories and personal experiences with a bit of science and manufacturing sprinkled in into his unique talks.  Please give him a high five for me next time.

-Luke
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
Happy to share this, Luke! I totally agree: Ken has a wonderful way of storytelling and is, obviously, quite knowledgeable about guitar-making. He was very kind enough to tailor this talk toward my students who are primarily engineers, and he was a real inspiration and encouragement to many of them in small discussions after this lecture. Class act!

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
Now I'm starting to think I know why some Fly's from the same year had amazing quality of craftsmanship while others had issues.

2 hours, 9 minutes and 8 seconds into the video, Ken is describing his job managing production of the Fly guitar.

'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
Yeah, that scenario might just be the nature of working with the types of people that are interested in having careers around musical instruments.

My impression is that, while Ken was at the helm, quality control at Parker Guitars was excellent, and that employee work that fell short of the mark just created more work for others, as opposed to instruments leaving the factory with issues; I can imagine that becoming very fatiguing!