Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly newbie thinking of buying a 2007 Deluxe - tips and price advice please?  (Read 141 times)

Offline marmatkat

Hi Everyone. I'm looking at a 2007 Parker Fly Deluxe, mint condition with hard case. I'm new to the Fly, but I'm one of those oddballs :-) that it appeals to. I have a few questions for you smarties:

Q: I know it's asked a lot, and I realize the market determines the price, but would you please give your opinion on a reasonable purchase price might be? He's asking $3000, which is definitely high. I've looked at ebay completed purchases, reverb ones too, along with a few at GC. The older ones seem to be less, and of course condition makes a difference (as does hard case vs bag), but the asking prices seem to range from ~1600 on up to ~2400, with most being around the 2K mark.

Q: What should I look for when inspecting it? I can think of: Loose or bad frets, dings/marks, straight neck, scratchy switches/pots/jack. Maybe open up the back and look for ...? Also, I read somewhere that I should ask about extra springs (?) Any Parker-isms in particular?

Thanks! I'm excited to try it out.

Re: Fly newbie thinking of buying a 2007 Deluxe - tips and price advice please?

Offline dspiffy

Sounds like you have everything covered.  I would make sure it has the spring that fits the size of strings you normally use.  You can use a higher gauge spring, but not lower.

2k is the highest I'd go unless it's a rare finish.  The refined guitars sell for more even though everyone claims to prefer pre-refined.

Offline sybersitizen

If you do check in the control cavity, see if everything looks 'stock'. Ask specifically if the seller knows of any modifications.

Make sure the mags and the piezos all work as expected.

Check the edges of the fretboard. You don't want to see anything like a seam that could indicate it's not glued down properly.

Check the position of the bridge in its cutout. You don't want it to be touching the wood in front, which could indicate that the support posts are leaning forward.

Those two issues are fairly rare and can usually be addressed, but it would mean extra time and money on your part.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline marmatkat

Thanks a bunch you two! Hey - what springs did they come with - 9s and 10s, or were there more?

Offline sybersitizen

... what springs did they come with - 9s and 10s, or were there more?

9 was the factory standard. I've seen 8.5, 10, 11, and 12 as options.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline marmatkat

OK, I tried it out and there were issues. He said he was given it from the factory as an artist (!) and clearly hadn't taken it out in years. Here's what I saw:

- It wouldn't hold a tune. It was low and every time I brought it up, it went out again. Maybe old strings, maybe the whammy settling in, but it did not give me confidence. Not sure what's going on.
- The bridge pickup was too high, and the neck way too low. The bridge pu was tilted about 20 degrees. Adjusting height should be straightforward, but the angle worried me.
- Two frets came unglued when it was removed from the case. Fortunately I noticed the problem and found them on the carpet. He said his tech would fix it, but I have reservations that someone not familiar with Flys would do a poor and temporary job.
- The selector switches were bad. Toggling them a bunch of times helped. Maybe some contact spray would fix it, but maybe they need replacing.
- The bridge pickup sounded midrange-y and muddy. The tone control was at 10. The neck (from what I could tell) sounded OK, as did the middle setting.

I kinda' stopped looking for issues at that point. I forgot to try the coil split. I guess I was distracted by all the problems.

Do you think these could all be addressed adequately by a non-Parker tech? Even if so, I'd be very hard pressed to pay $2K. Would you be wary about buying this particular instrument?

Thanks!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
Sounds like a good “project guitar”, but, when you consider that $1200 - 1500 and some patient eBay/Reverb-watching can get you a Fly in great condition, I would not consider $2k to be a good deal. If it were me, and it was an Artist, I’d offer maybe half of what he’s asking, but only because Artists are less common on the used marketplace than the Deluxe. If it’s a Deluxe in that condition, I’d be in the hundreds given the amount of work required. 

The frets, in my opinion, would be the biggest money pit/time sink. Electronics you can completely redo. The bridge, if you were tuning it in floating mode, seems like normal behavior; if it wasn’t floating, then that could be a different problem, but it was probably just in floating mode.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline sybersitizen

OK, I tried it out and there were issues. He said he was given it from the factory as an artist ...

I'm not sure what that means. An Artist model vs. Classic model? The serial number letter code should indicate which it is. Also, Artists are generally much paler in color than Classics.

- It wouldn't hold a tune. It was low and every time I brought it up, it went out again. Maybe old strings, maybe the whammy settling in, but it did not give me confidence. Not sure what's going on.

All strings dropped, or just one or two? The latter could just be strings unwinding at the ball end. That's not uncommon.

- The bridge pickup was too high, and the neck way too low. The bridge pu was tilted about 20 degrees. Adjusting height should be straightforward, but the angle worried me.

Doesn't sound like a big deal.

- Two frets came unglued when it was removed from the case. Fortunately I noticed the problem and found them on the carpet. He said his tech would fix it, but I have reservations that someone not familiar with Flys would do a poor and temporary job.

Not good. Frets can be re-glued if it's only two (there's a video showing how to do it), but it's certainly better not to have that issue or wonder if others are going to come off

- The selector switches were bad. Toggling them a bunch of times helped. Maybe some contact spray would fix it, but maybe they need replacing.

Hard to tell with something that's been sitting unused for years.

- The bridge pickup sounded midrange-y and muddy. The tone control was at 10. The neck (from what I could tell) sounded OK, as did the middle setting.

There seems to be a lot of variation in the way people 'hear' pickups. Not sure what to say about that.

Do you think these could all be addressed adequately by a non-Parker tech? Even if so, I'd be very hard pressed to pay $2K. Would you be wary about buying this particular instrument?

Impossible to say for sure. It's a bit of a gamble, but so is almost every Fly bought through eBay or Reverb or whatever. I think I and many others here could deal with the issues, but I wouldn't want to spend two grand on a Classic needing the work.

Offline dspiffy

Frets coming unglued is the only thing that would have deterred me.

Offline marmatkat

Great points everyone! Re: "artist", I'm sorry to be confusing. I meant he got the guitar free from "artist relations" or whatever you call the company people who give out free equipment to promote themselves. It's definitely a Deluxe.

Given the fret issues, I'll pass. I liked the guitar, but it didn't blow me away. Maybe one that's set up properly would have done so...

Offline plan-x

• http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 03:38:58 AM »
Buy one that's in good condition vs this fixer. The seller wanting that much is a red flag. The value is severely reduced due to those conditions. Most techs don't know how to work on them so it's got be perfect. Frets don't fall off unless some cleaner, oil, etc. was used. I'd buy off Reverb where descriptions and returns are available. I purchased mine online and have enjoyed years of use. Sold off my other guitars. Parkers will out last other guitars. Their 95's can still be in perfect condition with years of use left in them. Depends on how they were cared for.
00' Fly deluxe S2 HSS
02' NiteFly P (Poplar) HH

John W...in the Mojave
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster