Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitefly w/Fishman Piezo, Sustainiac, & internal GK3  (Read 167 times)

Offline daynwarren

Nitefly w/Fishman Piezo, Sustainiac, & internal GK3
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »
I did this one a while ago, but never posted about it (just came across the pictures this morning):

Nitefly came to me for mods/repairs as stock but had a non-functioning Fishman piezo system.

I repaired the Fishman system, added an internal Roland GK3 kit, as well as a Sustainiac.

Fun custom controls with Fly knobs (can't remember at this point what is what) and a cool custom output jackplate.

I'm sure JB63 will chime in with some details as it is his guitar!

Re: Nitefly w/Fishman Piezo, Sustainiac, & internal GK3

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
So cool!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline jb63

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
Basically this guitar was the result of realizing just how I actually USE the guitar and then what controls I actually need onboard. I’d never had the $ for a Belew guitar, but check out how complicated that thing is. It would take a LONG time to get used to those controls.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qc7xoLazVQ

I know it could happen, but that’s not really what I do now.
Basically, I run a stereo cable into channels 3 & 4 of a Roland BA-330.
Channel 4 is for piezo acoustic and with a little onboard tweaking of the Roland, it’s pretty convincing.
Channel 3 is for mags, but I keep it off unless I need it. It’s sort of a back up “real guitar” channel.
Channels 1 & 2 are the stereo in from the Gr55, many of the patches don’t even use the “guitar in” but several of them do, and it’s summed piezo & mags that bleed into the modeling.

So I needed (or wanted) all of the nitefly controls to be stock but I had to add a gK3 and it’s 2 switches (there used to be a GK2 strapped on to this) and then I wanted to add a sustainer. Where?!!!

The gK3 seemed appropriate to control with switches where the MIDIfly put them. And the are a little in the way when seated if I slump too much, but wearing a strap solves this. So the lower horn controls all the midi.

The next switch is the 3-way sustainer switch, explained pretty thoroughly here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9b73wMWhw

(In fact, that schecter is probably the best designed layout I’ve seen!)

Instead of one more darned switch I chose a push-pull on the sustainer knob. Pull is on and then you can roll it all the way to 11.

I’d like to try the same thing on a df radial just because it is so much lighter but I sure would miss the carbon wrapped neck. Anyone who has some ideas about control layouts to do this on a maxfly just jump on in!