Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Mojo Single-Cutaway carbon fiber?  (Read 466 times)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
Fly Mojo Single-Cutaway carbon fiber?
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
Hi everyone,

Can anyone confirm that the Fly Mojo Single-Cutaway model has a carbon fiber exoskeleton on the neck and back like the Fly? I have no experience with these instruments, and the catalogs are not clear about an cf being used beyond the fretbiard.

To me, the notion of a “Fly Mojo” single-cutaway suggests that this instrument is a Fly Mojo with a different shape, but I don’t want to assume. Thanks.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Re: Fly Mojo Single-Cutaway carbon fiber?

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
I had a Mojo SingleCut at one point (I added P-Rails and an internal GK3 kit).

It is indeed the typical Fly Mojo construction with the carbon fiber exoskeleton, albeit the different body shape.

Very cool guitar!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
Thanks, Dayn, for the info. I have a friend who was looking into Les Paul alternatives, and I thought I'd come across someone commenting that this guitar was more or less (no pun intended) Les Paul-like. Before I recommended it to him, I wanted to do a little homework, but couldn't determine if it had the usual cf exterior. Thanks for confirming!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 05:12:12 PM »
This reminds me.  I've heard the term "Carbon Fiber Exoskelton" many times here on the forum.  So I'm actually thinking it not correct, because as I understand, the main body of the guitar does NOT have a carbon wrap, rather it has a fiberglass wrap.  Ken actually talks about it briefly in his latest video that vjmanzo posted.  Ken said the Fly has carbon/glass-wraped neck and uni-directional carbon strip extending from the neck halfway into the body.  I seem to remember the patent drawings confirming this.  So, if I'm correct, the carbon exoskeleton really occurs on the neck only.

Not that this is a big deal, I'm splitting hairs really.  I just figured I'd mentioned it in case someone else noticed the back of a Fly body having the paint chipped off and said "why is it not black?".
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
My use of the term exoskeleton referring to the carbon fiber composite is loosely quoting the "The Making of a Parker Electric Solidbody Guitar" video Premier Guitar did a decade or so ago:

https://youtu.be/Yt085421u_U?t=115
At two minutes into the video, the Parker Guitar technician is holding a Fly wrapped in carbon fiber.

Can you find the time in the KP lecture video I posted where he mentions the strip? Maybe he's referring to the same thing?

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
Pic from video:

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
... as I understand, the main body of the guitar does NOT have a carbon wrap, rather it has a fiberglass wrap.  Ken actually talks about it briefly in his latest video that vjmanzo posted.  Ken said the Fly has carbon/glass-wrapped neck and uni-directional carbon strip extending from the neck halfway into the body.  I seem to remember the patent drawings confirming this.  So, if I'm correct, the carbon exoskeleton really occurs on the neck only.

The video in question is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkm_IhBi-M

The carbon fiber part of his talk begins around the 43:20 mark and lasts for several minutes. Ken explains pretty much what you said. I wonder, though, if that's how it was always done with every instrument. Going back to the 1993 catalog, the 'official' description was much less specific: '... carbon and glass fibers bonded with high strength epoxy resin ...'

Some videos that were made at the factory (long after Ken sold the company) can be problematic in terms of information accuracy. For example, at the end of the one referenced earlier, the employee says that Ken did a stunt where he stood on a Fly resting between two chairs:

https://youtu.be/Yt085421u_U?t=115

That was actually a Ned Steinberger stunt ... although Ken might have stood on a Steinberger at some point too:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=12277.0

In this other factory video, an employee repeatedly refers to all of the wrap as 'carbon fiber' and the final color is consistent across the body and the neck after application, with nothing to visually indicate that different parts have different composition. However, note that the neck material is stored separately from the body material, which is consistent with the idea that the carbon really only exists in the neck material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqhR5X34r4

Hard to form a 100% reliable conclusion.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »
Just adding to the mix: the fretboards were assembled separately; the frets were glued to the fretboard sheet and then later affixed to the neck.

So, regarding the material covering the back of the Fly in the photo (previous post): is the suggestion that 1) this was a technique used later on and inconsistent with early Flys, and/or 2) the material is not carbon fiber in some capacity?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:32:59 PM by vjmanzo »

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
There's another clue in this incredibly poor quality version of a Discovery Channel video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR01zIjj4_w

At the 9:55 mark we get to hear about 'glass and carbon fiber' and we get to see an employee doing stuff to the neck and back of a Fly.

At 10:15 he applies a long, thin strip of something to the back of the neck. Although it's white when we see it applied, the next shot shows - for just a fraction of a second - a dark stripe along the neck. We can surmise that it's the directional carbon fiber strip that Ken has mentioned, and that the white stuff was only backing material that was removed after application.

Next we see the employee peeling white backing off of what looks like a big, single piece of identical material - dark in color - and applying that to the entire back of the body and neck, and trimming away the excess.

What to make of that? This is my interpretation: Both materials look very similar, and both are impregnated with the epoxy resin that creates the bond... but most likely the thin strip is the carbon fiber and the big sheet is just black fiberglass fabric devoid of carbon.

If that is the case, it means that employees who appear in these videos are either unaware of the difference or they don't consider it important enough to point out the actual difference. Or - and surely much less likely - it could mean that sometimes, in some cases, carbon/glass fabric really might have been applied to the entire back.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
I like the part when Larry Fishburn speaks!

Way better than the beginning of the video when Larry Fishman speaks!  :P

I have to laugh that, in this thread, we're trying to sort out inconsistencies with material nomenclature and production details, and the videos that we turn to as an authoritative source are not only inconsistent in those details, but, in this case, in providing the Fly co-creator's last name!  :D

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 10:59:22 PM »
The real Laurence Fishburne:

Morpheus: "Do you know what I'm talking about?"

Neo: "The carbon/glass matrix."

Morpheus: "Do you want to know what it is?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doofg9m5w_Q

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 11:19:58 PM »
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online jb63

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
I had one of these for a weekend. It was a really, really heavy guitar.
The pm20 is lighter, easier to find (and spell-check just told me easier to finger) but if you have one fly and a mojo singlecut, you will never play that singlecut unless you are sitting down.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
Thanks, JB (and spell-check). Good to know!

As I mentioned, this inquiry was for a friend who played my Mojo, but didn’t find it “Les Paul-y” enough, so I thought maybe the single-cut was more along the lines of what he wanted. I’m happy with my Flys, but it’s good to know that the single-cut’s weight is along the lines of what he is looking for with a Les Paul :D

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 12:10:08 AM »
I have to laugh that, in this thread, we're trying to sort out inconsistencies with material nomenclature and production details, and the videos that we turn to as an authoritative source are not only inconsistent in those details, but, in this case, in providing the Fly co-creator's last name!  :D

Great point.  that's hilarious  :D
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail