Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I just need one more Parker Guitar....  (Read 302 times)

Offline joedreamliner787

I just need one more Parker Guitar....
« on: December 23, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
After having amassed what I call my dream fleet of Parker's a including a Spanish Nylon Fly, a Supreme Fly I just need one more fly to complete the dream team and that would be a Parker Fly Bronze/Concert preferably a 99 or 98. Should anyone have one in great condition they are willing to sell or even trade for a 98 Fly Classic in Teal in great shape with cash on top I would be happy to do so!
My flys have specific uses for me and lend a specific feel only a Parker can deliver.

Thank you!

Re: I just need one more Parker Guitar....

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »
Good luck on your search! They don’t come up often.

If you’re just going for the sound of a Concert, you can string up a Fly (Deluxe, Classic, etc.) with 11-gauge phosphor bronze strings and use the piezo output only to get a very similar sound. If you have an Artist, you’d have the same wood as a Concert and can do the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:58:03 PM by vjmanzo »
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »

If you’re just going for the sound of a Concert, you can string up a Fly (Deluxe, Classic, etc.) with 11-gauge phosphor bronze strings and use the piezo output only to get a very similar sound. If you have an Artist, you’d have the same wood as a Concert and can do the same thing.

Thanks! Now you have me thinking...does the bronze fly have a wider neck profile like the Nylon and also what about the nut? I assume it would have to be filed to accommodate? I currently use 9's. I do have a fly classic 98 in teal with original electronics. I would also have to change the trem spring which I have an 11 kicking around.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:20:51 PM by joedreamliner787 »

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
Yep I know exactly how you feel.  Buying Parker Flys seems to lead to buying more Parker Flys.  I bought an Artist, then a Deluxe, then another Artist (then returned it) then a second Classic (not sure why) then most recently a Supreme.  After that I started looking for the Concert/Bronze to complete my collection but I never actually found one in great condition and sort of gave up. 

Good luck on finding one.  Btw, you have great taste in guitars !  :D
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline Mr303

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »

Cool idea.
I’ve going to try this with the hardtail.
And my friends wonder why I have more than a few Parker’s !?   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:49:54 PM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
[
does the bronze fly have a wider neck profile like the Nylon and also what about the nut?

The Fly Concert/Bronze is in many ways just a hardtail Fly Artist without magnetic pickups; same neck profile, nut, etc.  If I didn’t already have one, I was going to buy a Deluxe, block the bridge, string it up with phosphor bronze strings, and file the nut slots to accommodate them.

Could be a cool project! You could also remove the mags, fill the cavities, and cover the front of the guitar with a veneer! Just sayin’!  :o
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 10:20:29 PM »
I currently use 9's.

I should mention: the strings don't have to be 11s; I suggested that gauge because, IMO, it lends itself to a more authentic "acoustic" sound through the piezo. I've used 10s on my Concert and they also sound great; I'd just stick with phosphor bronze or 80/20 bronze as that really drives home the character of the acoustic. Otherwise, if you just use nickel strings, the piezo output will sound as it currently does on your Fly.

Also, if you use phosphor bronze strings, the mag pickups will still work because the strings have a steal core. The output won't be the same as nickel strings, but it can be a cool thing to experiment with. When I was doing my 12-string Fly mod, I first strung it up with D'Addario phosphor bronze strings and used the mags.

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 05:11:23 PM »
Yep I know exactly how you feel.  Buying Parker Flys seems to lead to buying more Parker Flys.  I bought an Artist, then a Deluxe, then another Artist (then returned it) then a second Classic (not sure why) then most recently a Supreme.  After that I started looking for the Concert/Bronze to complete my collection but I never actually found one in great condition and sort of gave up. 

Good luck on finding one.  Btw, you have great taste in guitars !  :D

Thank you for the kind words. It's funny how the flys just keep populating but now that I know just how good a supreme is and next a classic I have no interest in any deluxe. I like the fact the classic is slightly heavier with the mahogany as opposed to poplar on the deluxe. Sustain is longer and the guitar has much more button end for rhythm. I sold all of my deluxes. There really isn't a better fly than the supreme in my opinion. It gave me that same fuzzy feeling inside like when I first heard and played my spanish fly. We are so fortunate to have such incredible guitars that have been made and also even more incredible is a great tight knit community that plays them!

I use a kemper powerhead but just ordered an Ax FX II XL+ to see how well it does with recording. I will be laying down tracks in 2019 and the spanish fly shall be heard  8)

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
I currently use 9's.

I should mention: the strings don't have to be 11s; I suggested that gauge because, IMO, it lends itself to a more authentic "acoustic" sound through the piezo. I've used 10s on my Concert and they also sound great; I'd just stick with phosphor bronze or 80/20 bronze as that really drives home the character of the acoustic. Otherwise, if you just use nickel strings, the piezo output will sound as it currently does on your Fly.

Also, if you use phosphor bronze strings, the mag pickups will still work because the strings have a steal core. The output won't be the same as nickel strings, but it can be a cool thing to experiment with. When I was doing my 12-string Fly mod, I first strung it up with D'Addario phosphor bronze strings and used the mags.

I will most likely try 10s. I thought about modifying my classic and having shazrock sand it down to wood and do a clear finish over it. I saw a mahogany fly on Reverb and it looks awesome. I love the look and feel of real wood, so much I am currently having a custom wood table top built from reclaimed lumber we pulled from an old barn that got torn down. I built the table legs out of galvanized steel pipe.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
Very cool! Post pics if you end up doing that to your Fly; or better yet: post a picture of your sanded Fly on your reclaimed table!

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
Very cool! Post pics if you end up doing that to your Fly; or better yet: post a picture of your sanded Fly on your reclaimed table!

You know I will!