Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A summary of the Fly changes, issues, and forum opinions through the years  (Read 304 times)

Offline JamieCrain

Re: A summary of the Fly changes, issues, and forum opinions through the years
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 04:59:35 AM »
Great summary of the main attributes.

I'll add 2c on one thing:

I feel the manual's description of the bridge having 3 modes is a total embellishment. There's floating, down-only, and ...well, just a tighter version of down-only.

Having said that, I should also say that once the bridge is set, it is the best.

Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:03 AM »
Thanks, Jamie, and thanks for noting that—that’s a good one! I remember being confused by that part of the manual. I’ll update above to include that.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
Great job on compiling this list of design changes ! 
I believe those white-colored nuts used on the '93 hard tails were actually Delrin (Acetal plastic), not bone.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »
Great job on compiling this list of design changes ! 
I believe those white-colored nuts used on the '93 hard tails were actually Delrin (Acetal plastic), not bone.
Thanks, and okay—I’ll note that!!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:40 AM »
I'm late to the party so all corrections are already made!  Ha ha ha.

I can tell you that the delaminating fretboard was due to a combination of glue type and hellish weather in the Chicago area that prevented the glue from drying adequately.  I've had one of my refined instruments delaminate because of that and I actually went to Chicago to get it fixed and got a chance to get a personal tour of the factory from Terry at the time and he explained a lot of his thinking and mods to me.

One missing point here is the change from the piano wire to a solid truss rod.  That happened of course during the USM tenure at about the same time as the radius went from conical to 14".

My greatest "bone" of contention with the refined model was the mis-cut of the nut resulting of angling of the strings, especially the low E.  A tooling error which was never corrected.

Possibly you should mention the creation of a 7-string at some point and the new Nitefly models.  These were all US made, not asian Parkers and I think US instruments is what you are covering here.

Since we are also speaking of opinions here, personally, the pre-refined models are my favorites, but I did love the Mojo's wiring and the ability to have both hum buckers engaged at the same time and the option to split coils.  Made for a very versatile instrument.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »
Thanks, Patzag! Great info and excellent additions, which I will integrate into the original post!