Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P38 trim pot for peizo adjustment  (Read 502 times)

Offline michaeldeanrogers

P38 trim pot for peizo adjustment
« on: February 18, 2019, 06:14:10 PM »
Hi Parker Guys,

Is there an internal trim pot to adjust the peizo volume to bring the magnetics into balance? Mine is too loud.

Don't want to take it apart if its pointless.

Thanks for any help!

Re: P38 trim pot for peizo adjustment

Offline jb63

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:45:36 PM »
There sure is!
If you have a fly, just take off the back cover and it’s almost self-explanatory!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:43:10 AM »
I do have a Fly, but my question was about the P38. Do they share the same electronics?

Thanks for the response!

Offline jb63

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
I don’t think so.
The p38 piezo board is going to be cheaper, but I’ve never seen inside one! Take a picture and post it! Let’s find out!

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
Why don't you just open the scratch plate and have a look?!
It's a minor PITA to loosen strings and remove some screws. You're spending more time on the Forum talking about than it would take to do it.

Then you'll know, and can stop wondering, eh?  :P
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
Barry, that is a major reason people go to forums, to get basic questions answered. As you don't know the answer about the P38, I will do what I was hoping to avoid and take it apart and post the results so others will know if this is available or not. Your "answer" was not helpful.

BTW, its taken me maybe five minutes of time, with no risk of damage to the instrument to ask the question, while tearing it down and putting it back together again will likely take an hour if things go right. Hopefully, the pot is there and it won't be wasted effort.

Offline Barry

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:10 PM »
Michael, I didn't mean to be rude, my comment wasn't offered in that manner.
I run a brand-specific guitar forum and its adjacent web site, and I was a guitar tech for many years so I do understand why people come to forums.
In my experience many folks are reluctant or just nervous about doing their own maintenance, and I always encourage them to get involved with their instruments. Loosening 6 strings and removing some screws should not take an hour to accomplish even if working slowly and being extra careful. And even if it does, so what?
Part of the joy of playing guitar is really understanding it and you do that by being intimate with its construction. It's the best way to really bond with your instrument.

(Looking back at the time since your original post 'til now you've certainly invested a lot more than "5 minutes".)
Look, I dedicated my time to answer your post, and now this one.If you don't like my advice fair enough, but there is no need for a snarky and condescending comment. Respect for fellow players and forum members is expected when in a forum. This ain't Twitter.

And if you are seriously worried about "risking damage" then perhaps you should take it to a tech to do the inspection.
'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:36:47 PM by Barry »

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
Barry, thank you for your reply. I have done all my own guitar work for many years and definitely realized that I could just do it, but I have upgraded this P38 with locking tuners and just put on new strings with very little winding on the posts, and didn't want to replace them if possible. And even techs make mistakes on occasion, like myself, and I've made bone-head moves on simple jobs. I was hoping to avoid that small risk if someone had any knowledge of this guitar's electronics. This was not a time-sensitive job, so I was OK waiting.

After tearing it down, the electronics on the P38 appear to be the same as the Nitefly as far as I can recall (I've had two in the past) and as the control layout suggests. There is a trim pot on the main PCB, very evident. Although trimming it down did improve the balance, it didn't quite get it right, though a lot closer.

I purposely included what I thought were the proper search terms in the subject to help others in the same situation.

Offline Barry

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
Glad you got it all sorted Michael!All the best.

Offline jb63

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:01:20 PM »
After tearing it down, the electronics on the P38 appear to be the same as the Nitefly as far as I can recall (I've had two in the past) and as the control layout suggests. There is a trim pot on the main PCB, very evident. Although trimming it down did improve the balance, it didn't quite get it right, though a lot closer.

That's great! That means you can get some good nitefly stuff out of it. I had to adjust my nitefly piezo a few times to get it right but once I did I haven't had to touch it at all. If you like the neck, the P38 looks like a great bargain!

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
As I ended up having to change strings I tried an experiment. Instead of the normal 10 gauge electric strings, I put on a set of acoustic strings (80/20) that we're light top (11) custom gauge to see how that affected the tone and playability. It took a new setup and additional springs on the tremolo and the action is a bit higher to accommodate the greater amplitude of the strings, but it is still low for an acoustic. I think it sounds fantastic, much more acoustic-like on the peizos, and the extra metal helped balance the mags (I also raised the pups a bit to account for the higher action). The balance is now very close, an unexpected bonus.

The tremolo is stiff as you would expect, but the tone and playability are a good trade-off IMO. It's not as easy to play leads, but does the job and the acoustic sound is MUCH better.

Don't know if others have tried this, but it might serve those in situations where they need to go back and forth quickly, like in worship settings.