Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One Original Saddle Needed  (Read 503 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
One Original Saddle Needed
« on: February 26, 2019, 08:33:32 AM »
I know it's a long shot... but does anyone have an original design saddle that they'd sell me? I have one that is being a problem. I might be able to fix it but I did that once and the fix didn't last too long.  :'(

Re: One Original Saddle Needed

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
I was not really able to fix it... well I sort of did but the output is too low to be usable. So does anyone know if the latest design of piezo saddles would work with the original electronics? I don't know how the output of those compares with the original design saddles (which are the ones that look like a big ball bearing, not the "dog bone" type).

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
I have successfully used all the different types of saddles with the Powerchip, including graphtech. I can't say specifically that the new Parker saddles will work with the old electronics, but since the old saddles work with the Powerchip, I expect you wouldn't have a problem going the other direction. However, I probably wouldn't mix/ match saddle types. I highly recommend all six of the same type.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 03:57:17 PM »
I have successfully used all the different types of saddles with the Powerchip, including graphtech. I can't say specifically that the new Parker saddles will work with the old electronics, but since the old saddles work with the Powerchip, I expect you wouldn't have a problem going the other direction. However, I probably wouldn't mix/ match saddle types. I highly recommend all six of the same type.

Yes, obviously I would use all the same saddle types. The $64,000 question is how well they would work with the original electronics. I'm not going with a PowerChip and re-wiring everything.

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
Sorry... just trying to help.  I wish you the best on figuring it out...

Offline jb63

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
I had a Deluxe for a little while that had 2 Nitefly saddles (with the little balls) and the other 4 were the originals. It played fine with no noticeable difference. I don't think this helps, I didn't have the guitar very long, but it was a thing that happened.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »
Do you think the issue is the saddle or the piezo element underneath the saddle? The original saddles (with the screw and the dogbone/balls) are stainless steel and the later "notched" saddles are not, but other than those small differences, they function the same. It sounds like the issue your having with low output is related to the piezo element not sitting close enough to the underside of the saddle.

I've never tried it, but I think it would be tricky to remove the original piezo from that saddle and then affix it to a new saddle, but that might be what needs to get done.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:56:14 AM »
I had a Deluxe for a little while that had 2 Nitefly saddles (with the little balls) and the other 4 were the originals. It played fine with no noticeable difference. I don't think this helps, I didn't have the guitar very long, but it was a thing that happened.

Thanks that's good to know... but even the dogbone ones seem to be non-existent.

Do you think the issue is the saddle or the piezo element underneath the saddle? The original saddles (with the screw and the dogbone/balls) are stainless steel and the later "notched" saddles are not, but other than those small differences, they function the same. It sounds like the issue your having with low output is related to the piezo element not sitting close enough to the underside of the saddle.

I've never tried it, but I think it would be tricky to remove the original piezo from that saddle and then affix it to a new saddle, but that might be what needs to get done.

The problem is the crystal is broken. I've tried a few ways to repair it but none of them got it back to full functionality.

Offline jb63

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
I have a few of the crappy Pewter ones if you want to try it.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
I have a few of the crappy Pewter ones if you want to try it.

Crappy how? Like they don't sound good as the originals? I like the design of them in terms of them looking less prone to failing because stuff (theoretically) can't fall out/off of them. But I would want to replace them all if I was going that route.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »
Getting the piezo elements to sit properly in the saddle can be a headache. When we did the 12-string fly mod, our lead electronics guy used adhesive-backed foam to do a pressure fit with the sensor against the interior wall of the saddle.  I’m not sure if the approach would work on existing saddles, but the sensors really need to be pressed right up against the saddles in order to work. If your piezo element is broken, however, you’d need to replace it, of course, and then try to seat it back in the saddle.

If you not averse to trying the Graphtech Ghost saddles, they do come with the piezo elements already glued into the saddles so I suppose you can cut the ends and wire those into the summing board. I’ve never done that. The saddles themselves are equivalent to the pewter saddles that JB63 is referring to. 
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
If you not averse to trying the Graphtech Ghost saddles, they do come with the piezo elements already glued into the saddles so I suppose you can cut the ends and wire those into the summing board. I’ve never done that. The saddles themselves are equivalent to the pewter saddles that JB63 is referring to.

I suppose that is a possibility.

Offline jb63

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Getting ready to travel, so I am slow at posting, but I saw this today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-Guitar-USA-FLY-Series-BRIDGE-2-SADDLES-Older-Style/153420641899

Maybe a quick fix, but they look black, not silver.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »
Getting ready to travel, so I am slow at posting, but I saw this today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-Guitar-USA-FLY-Series-BRIDGE-2-SADDLES-Older-Style/153420641899

Maybe a quick fix, but they look black, not silver.

Total gamble... seems like they don't know if they even work. Well, at least the one that looks like it could be functional. The other one is definitely useless for anything.