Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Parker. Help identifying a P-40?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Redseele

New to Parker. Help identifying a P-40?
« on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

First of all, this is my first experience being a Parker guitar owner. I remember when I had just started playing guitars around 94, I saw a blue Parker Fly in a Guitar World magazine. I thought it was so weird, but somehow so beautiful, and read and re-read the article over and over... as a 14 year old I would never be able to buy one such guitar. I always dreamed of having a Parker, and finally came the time. This week, while in Lima, Peru, I saw a Parker P-40 for US$200.

I got it, and it's beautiful and the neck is a dream to play. It is much lighter than my Jazzmaster and my Mustang, but it is a configuration I have never seen, even for other P-40s I've seen around. It has two humbuckers, no coil splitting, no piezo, hard tail, no tremolo. The humbuckers do not sound super full, but that's ok with me, as I am more of a single pickup person anyway (these work for me, as it they were noiseless pickups). I have not seen this particular model sold on eBay or Reverb, not even in the sold listings. I have NO idea when it was made or anything.

Can someone tell me something about this model? Find a few pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xv8rhf12dzfkla1/AACVL0IwqKIM-LwgTrm4HtuEa?dl=0

Thank you!

Re: New to Parker. Help identifying a P-40?

Offline Mr303

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
Odd to see;
The headstock shows “made in China”?
And it has a battery recycle symbol with no battery compartment?
Headstock noticeably has a flat transition rather than rounded and the high e side of the top end looks more round than the square-ish p-36/44’s on Reverb.

Here’s a listing for a P-44 on Reverb now.

https://reverb.com/item/15346157-stunning-parker-p-44-in-cherry-sunburst-gently-used-electric-acoustic-solid-body

It’s a winner no matter what model if it plays well and you like it.....I have a couple guitars people laugh at but then I play them and really give’em a chuckle....because I’m not very good!   :o
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:02:21 PM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Redseele

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
I forgot to mention that I've seen this very same model in different auction sites throughout Latin America, especially in places like Mercado Libre. I wonder if it was a basic model not released in the US.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
I'll hazard a guess that it was a fairly limited (geographically limited?) run that never made it into the catalogs.

The same headstock shape appears on other P models (some with that two-string tree) in catalogs as early as 2004 and as late as 2009.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Redseele

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »
I'll hazard a guess that it was a fairly limited (geographically limited?) run that never made it into the catalogs.

The same headstock shape appears on other P models (some with that two-string tree) in catalogs as early as 2004 and as late as 2009.

Thank you for that insight. I really wish I could just contact Parker and ask them directly... alas, I guess if it plays well it's what matters :)