Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Piezo low volume on two strings  (Read 277 times)

Offline JamieCrain

Piezo low volume on two strings
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:10 AM »
 Hi folks,
I’ve noticed that the volume on two strings is about 50% compare to the other strings when using the Piezo.  The strings are relatively new, and the 9 V battery is still showing about 8.5 V so it should be okay.  I have turned the preamp up to 100% but it has not made a difference.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose the issue?
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Re: Piezo low volume on two strings

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Any issues I've ever had with the piezo on my Fly Deluxe were due to the wire coming out of the saddle having to be resoldered to the bridge summing bar.

That's on the original saddles.  I understand the dog balls have different issues if they separate from the saddle main body.  What type of saddles are we talking about?
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:51 AM »
Mmm, well it’s a 2015 model so the saddles are “new”. I can see 14 wires coming from the back of  the bridge to a small device where they convert into just two. Is that the summing bar? It is free floating around in the cavity I.e. nowhere near the bridge. The two wires then run to the preamp. I can’t see anywhere that has soldering.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline JJMT

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
Hi! There are people here that will help you sort out any possible issue with the functioning of the bridge/piezo. But I thought I would chime in and verify that that you've checked the easy stuff? Since all the strings are sounding through the piezo, have you checked for mechanical things that might be deadening those two strings? Maybe there is string silk that has gotten between the string and the saddle, which would potentially muffle the sound. Or maybe the saddles themselves are loose (loose tuning screw), which would such up some energy by sliding around. Or maybe the strings themselves have flattened out in come way causing irregular contact with the saddles? You should be able to tap on each of the saddles and see if they work.

If that's not it, then there is this popped up with a quick search:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=16952.0

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
Thanks for that, I did search for other threads but didn't find that one so thanks for pointing it out.

The only thing I can see is that for one of the problem strings, the extra wire wrap around the base of the string to hold the ball in place is so long it's actually resting on the saddle. I've seen this before, the wrap on Ernie Ball strings is nearly twice as long as most other brands and it interferes with the saddle. Maybe I should try a different brand of strings.

This isn't the case on the D string but I'll try new strings anyway.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK