Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: David Torn  (Read 518 times)

Offline Mr303

David Torn
« on: March 18, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
I saw Son of Goldfinger at a local jazz club (Tim Berne sax, David Torn guitar, Ches Smith percussion.)
David Torn was incredible! well they all were but Torn was something to see.

I’ve heard Torn on many albums but never have seen him live until last night.

His fluidity on the fingerboard and the mastery at manipulation of electronics is unbelievable and unless you see him live it’s hard to describe.
Even live it’s hard to watch and understand exactly what he’s continuously tweeking at while still playing guitar and playing riffs into a multiple loopers and effects.
2 hrs of non-stop avant-garde jazz....challenging listening!  Great!

No Parker guitars in sight.
He did have a really good sounding Ronin guitar made from redwood with electronics he designed.(Tornipulator)

Here’s a link to the model. https://www.roninguitars.com/mirari

But it has the tornipulator on the upper horn like the Morningstar listed here.

https://www.roninguitars.com/morningstar

I haven’t looked for a price yet because I know I can’t afford one....unfortunately that hasn’t stopped me before...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:08:25 PM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Re: David Torn

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »
I checked out a video online and the video was even more psychotic than the music! Lol!

I love Jazz but this was a little far out for me.  I also checked out a live performance - just in case - just as weird.  It seemed to me that the communication went through a deranged mind.

Probably in the year 2750 that will be recognized as the birth of cool, but I'm not there yet!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline Mr303

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:12 AM »
I did say it was “challenging listening”.

He only has hearing in one ear too!
I read somewhere that he sits with his good ear towards the speakers when he’s mixing albums and imagines the stereo effects he’s mixing.

Cheers!
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
I did say it was “challenging listening”.

You did.  But I rarely heed such warnings!  Lol!

He only has hearing in one ear too!

Now that makes more sense!  Possibly if you divide the number of notes in two and sort the notes by key you might be able to actually hear music! 

(Just kidding, of course!)

Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline jb63

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:41:15 PM »
I love David Torn! (and Time Berne)
Fortunately, there is a TON of youtube content where you can really see what he's doing. I've never seen anyone but Vernon Reid & Belew bring that much gear to a show, though.

Offline syncopa

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
I checked out a video online and the video was even more psychotic than the music! Lol!

I love Jazz but this was a little far out for me.  I also checked out a live performance - just in case - just as weird.  It seemed to me that the communication went through a deranged mind.

Probably in the year 2750 that will be recognized as the birth of cool, but I'm not there yet!

Listen to some of his solo stuff. The looping and atmospherics he pulls off are amazing! He lives here in Woodstock so he pops up locally all the time. Watching him "dance" amongst the electronics is a show in itself!
1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly