Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Factory Parker Projects perts help?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline cip123

2 Factory Parker Projects perts help?
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »
Hi there, new to the forum figured this was the best place to ask!

I have recently come in to some very interesting "Factory Parkers" I don't really have reason to believe they're fake, if they are, they're very very good fakes!

Figure we're all Parker nerds here and I'd love to provide some details on these cool pieces and find out the best ways of finishing them, it's quite hard to find all the parts I need particularly for the tremolo!

One is a Parker DF842 apparently. The odd things about this is the "Fretboard" or the section that the fretboard is applied to is only long enough for 22 frets not 24. I can't see any Parkers with these specs so my assumption is that it's a mistake by the factory and thus why it was left around. This one is quite thin (compared to the other one) It doesn't have the rear carbon reinforcement, which I found odd since it's already rear routed, however I think I might be able to bond Carbon to it fairly easily. I have the fretboard for this one the main sticking points are the pickups and the tremolo. Can anyone explain to me how the pickups are to be mounted? The routes are fairly shallow and obviously there is no space for the pickup "ears" I may route out so it's easy to replace pickups (Would this make it more or less desirable?) But I would like to finish it as close as I could to Parker's design.

The second one is a bit of an oddity. It's thicker than the other one, has been bonded with Carbon Fibre on the front, and I assume some form of composite on the rear (Though there is no visible Carbon on the back). It has the fretboard applied. The interesting part is it's routed for 1 pickup and a fixed bridge. I could only find one instance of this being mentioned and it's a custom shop white one in Paul Ozz's review video.
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXbG_nSl92Y

Now he mentioned that the white one he used there is 1 of 2, the other being made for a Parker employee. So Is this true? Is this an elusive 3rd one?

This one is much closer to completion I have the bridge, the frets, the nut. However I'm finding it hard to source the 3 pins used for screwing the bridge in? They screw through the back. Anyone got any clues?

I've seen various models pop up on Ebay it seems to be when the Washburn factory closed. I'm happy to nerd out over these guitars and learn as much as I can, I've always wanted a parker and now I can have a couple custom ones!

Hopefully these pictures work if not I'll leave a link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuMirKfn8Jr/

Re: 2 Factory Parker Projects perts help?

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
welcome!  I may have some parts, depending on what you need.  pm me, but be advised I don't check in here as often.

looks like the real deal- the 842 only had 22 frets so the neck pup was closer to a strat position/sound

the ears on the pups are removed and mounted with the pole pieces into a threaded insert, (present in the bridge, missing in the neck).  lots of posts here about all that.

plenty of room to route the bridge pup, but the neck is very shallow and risky that you'll blow through if you route for ears. 

I believe all the routing was done before bonding CF to the back.

I'm guessing the CF front one is a hard tail, not sure why its thicker.  looks like the pup ear routes are there already, so no need for inserts.

and for a third one, I have a white DF from 2010/11, so that might be it?

be aware there might be some issues that you won't find until you try to mount parts.  If you want to unload the one lacking all the CF, let me know!

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline cip123

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
welcome!  I may have some parts, depending on what you need.  pm me, but be advised I don't check in here as often.

looks like the real deal- the 842 only had 22 frets so the neck pup was closer to a strat position/sound

the ears on the pups are removed and mounted with the pole pieces into a threaded insert, (present in the bridge, missing in the neck).  lots of posts here about all that.

plenty of room to route the bridge pup, but the neck is very shallow and risky that you'll blow through if you route for ears. 

I believe all the routing was done before bonding CF to the back.

I'm guessing the CF front one is a hard tail, not sure why its thicker.  looks like the pup ear routes are there already, so no need for inserts.

and for a third one, I have a white DF from 2010/11, so that might be it?

be aware there might be some issues that you won't find until you try to mount parts.  If you want to unload the one lacking all the CF, let me know!

Hey thanks for the reply, The DF842 is listed as 24 frets on Parkers site? I have found some issues already, the CF one has a big crack right in the center of the bridge route, unsure how deep it goes but it isn't through the back so I'll just fill it with some epoxy or something. Both are in pretty rough shape, the DF842 needs the "Freboard base" glued back down and filled on the bass edge side at the high frets, overall they just need some TLC before I'm even at the finishing stages.

The CF one is thicker, and the headstock is also longer I'm unsure why, it's the same scale length. Looking at them side by side it's as if the Cf one has a fender 70's headstock haha.

I've found most of the tremolo parts but would you happen to know if there is perhaps a schematic or something similar for how it all goes together?

I'd like to finish both however if I keep them both I'm unsure hence why I wondered if routing ears for the pickups on the 842 would make it more or less desirable to people buying.

That said I have wanted parkers since I played one in my first year of guitar playing, so I'd like to keep one at least. I do know there are 2 on ebay just now though, one in the US one here in the UK.

this is the single pickup white one I was referring to -

http://i.imgur.com/Tt6t82Q.jpg

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
The DF842 is listed as 24 frets on Parkers site?

Yes, it is: "The DF842 is identical to the DF824 with the exception of pickup configuration and a full 24 frets."

And also in the 2014 catalog.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline cip123

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
Would anyone know the thread they used for their fixed bridges? I tried an M5 bolt but it's just a little too big I assume they're using some UNF sizing?

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
you mean the screws for the hardtail?  M5 would be too big for sure.  It might be 8-32, M3, etc.  If you can measure the hole diamter on the back of the bridge, we can narrow it down to 1 or two possibilities.

Meantime, wondering how the projects are going...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:16:05 PM by billy »
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline cip123

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
you mean the screws for the hardtail?  M5 would be too big for sure.  It might be 8-32, M3, etc.  If you can measure the hole diamter on the back of the bridge, we can narrow it down to 1 or two possibilities.

Meantime, wondering how the projects are going...

Yea, tried a few sizes but no luck I'll have to get round to it.

Very slowly unfortunately, I'll be doing the hardtail first since it's closer to finished but I'm very busy setting up my own guitar company of sorts here in the UK. But I should be getting some more time soon, I'd like the hardtail finished this year.

Rest assured I'll definitely keep this place up to date, and try to document as much as possible as there are definitely some anomalies that I've noticed and I'm not that knowledgeable about the history of these things.

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
I can relate. Easy enough to bang things out in 10-15 mins, but it usually shows too.  90% rule is real.

In my case, what I lack are blocks of time that are bigger than 1 hour, where I can pick up where I left off and focus on the finer details. 

When I do have that kind of time, I can't make any noise because everyone is asleep...  I really miss the batcave in the old mansion.   :D

Billy

Online vjmanzo

• Global Moderator
  • ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »
This is the exact screw used on the original Fly hardtails:

https://www.macit.com/index.php?fuseAction=catalogs.viewItem&catalogID=1&catalogLevelID=11&catalogItemID=125

It’s made by one company called Mac It and it is #10-32 R&L x 5/8.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »
that looks right to me, VJ, nice link
Billy

Offline jb63

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
I have to go buy 6 of these right away!

But I'm sure that I only need 3 for backup purposes...

Online vjmanzo

• Global Moderator
  • ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
Happy to help; finding that screw as part of the Fly Clone project was a really mystery!! Ken actually told me where to find this a while back when I ran into a deadend trying to order every McMaster screw there is!

I tried these in one of my hardtail bridges and they do fit perfectly.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01 info

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »
no doubt, I did see something close on mcmaster, they are called "grub screws" or "screws for carbide insert holders" or "clamp screws" all on the same page.  Depending on what you search for they may or may not show up.  There seems to be a slight difference in length but I think they would still work.  https://www.mcmaster.com/grub-screws

The really tricky thing to find might be the threaded standoff that's pressed into the wood.  Its been a while since I've seen a hardtail, but that standoff is the part where the grub screw interacts with the body.  If I had to guess it would be something close to this:  https://www.mcmaster.com/93330a476

I may have a bunch of those screws, I will check my stash later.  Not sure if they are the same as the nitefly grub screws, but I assumed that's what they were.
Billy

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »
I do have some parts but unfortunately those double ended screws are not part of my collection. Not a bad deal from VJ’s link, looks like a pkg of 10.
Billy