Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (no longer) Disappointed with PM20 Pro  (Read 6276 times)

Offline JSanta

(no longer) Disappointed with PM20 Pro
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 09:17:41 PM »
Dave:
I agree with you that this place should allow people to vent and complain, and I am pretty sure that USMusic wants to know that when they are doing something wrong, and without people like you guys who can methodically and thoughtfully voice your complaints and concerns, no company can ever grow.  But I simply think that when I see only a handful of posts that voice complaints, or point out problems, many people take those concerns out of context and make blanket statements like "well, I heard that the frets on Fly guitars peel off easily," or "is it true that most emails never get responses," etc...  We know that is not the case, but people surfing through this forum might actually see them and believe them to be fact.  That is all I am simply saying.  Forgive me if I seem rude, I am not trying to be, but I think that people should know that Parker is generally more receptive to us as consumers than other companies.

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 09:20:17 PM »
Chad, if you did not receive a reply, we did not receive your message.  Try e-mailing me directly through this forum.
Nigel, I'd love to see some pics of the guitar that was sent to you.  And, you know, if you are not happy, we'll replace it.

Sorry for any inconvenience, truly.

Thanks,
John

Offline kurrykid

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 09:33:57 PM »
No problem Jim...I do not think you are being rude.  We are just having a discussion with our own points of view.  I know that Parker has taken care of many of their customers and will continue to do so.  Like I said, the ratio of issues has got to be quite small.

I worked as a quality engineer for many years and the first thing you except is that although you strive for 100% satisfaction, it really isn't reality.  An old quality saying goes that 100% inspection is only 80% effective.  You do the best you can but you can't hit every one of them out of the ballpark.

Thanks for the dialogue.

Dave

PM20, QB
Black P6E...very soon :-)
Dave

TTB DF
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
PM20, QB
Black P6E

Offline JSanta

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 09:42:29 PM »
Once again Dave, I have to agree with you.  You can never please everyone but you should always try, and I honestly feel that because Parker is represented by people like JohnP, that is exactly what they are doing.  And I can't wait for a review of your new acoustic!

/jim

-Buddha

Offline klaetos

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 11:05:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

Chad, if you did not receive a reply, we did not receive your message.  Try e-mailing me directly through this forum.
Nigel, I'd love to see some pics of the guitar that was sent to you.  And, you know, if you are not happy, we'll replace it.

Sorry for any inconvenience, truly.

Thanks,
John

JohnP,

I sent you a copy of the email.  

Chad
God gave us life, why not live your life according to HIS plan!

Offline Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »
Chad-
I've bought SIX Parkers for myself and two for my nephews. I bought all of them on eBay, sight unseen. Four came from a guy who sells nothing but USM blems & factory 2nds. I also bought three Washburns from the same seller. Frankly several of the blems I saw were so insignificant that I couldn't believe the factory would class them as b-stock. The best fit & finish I got is on the 2002 Nitefly SA. The rubber knobs on it suck, but otherwise it's perfect, and knobs are cheap to replace.

My point here is that I WOULD recommend buying a Parker guitar sight unseen. Yeah, yeah- there's gonna be the "pro guitar guy" who reads this and cringes or calls me a 'tard for saying that. But from my experience and the feedback I read from other people who made the same choice, I would never be afraid to buy a Parker FROM A DEALER without playing it. If I had good pics to examine, I'd have no reservations with buying an American Parker from someone who seems like a musician. They really are that good.

If you want a sweet deal on a P series guitar, check out P-Hill on eBay. He had a couple of Parkers listed as of last night, and lists more all the time. Jeff's a straight shooter and will take care of you.

Make the leap.
Nigel

Owner/Operator:
'02 Nitefly SA, P42,
Disgusted recipient of bin-worthy PM20 Pro,
Still thrilled with my Line 6 & Trace Elliot amps
"Never, EVER buy weed from Lando Calrissian."

Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Blue Gator P-38, Carvin 12-String Quilt, and a whole bunch of Kiesel customs, in hopes that Parker someday gets their $#!T together again.

Offline klaetos

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 12:25:15 PM »
Hi all,

JohnP was actually very fast in responding to the email I forwarded him and cleared up a number of items that I mentioned above.  The first being they had an issue with recieving emails for a while and he thinks that is what happened.  

If John's sense of priority of the customer is an example of the company I think I will be just fine as a Parker owner.  I am back on track for the PM20 Pro.  

Part of the reason I have been looking at Parker is because of the reviews online.  Most of the reviews from Parker owners I have read are very pleased with their purchase.

Look at Nigel here for example.  Got a raw deal, has every reason to be upset, and here he is still selling me on how great Parker is.  It does say something for customer loyalty, even when you have a bump in the road.

JohnP, thanks for the link, I will check them out.  When I finish scraping the rest of the cash together I'll let you all know how my venture into Parker goes.

Chad
God gave us life, why not live your life according to HIS plan!

Offline Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »
Chad-
Precisely. John DOES do a super job of uniting the customer and the corporation, who by definition have diametrically opposite goals: The customer wants to SAVE money and get the most he can for what he spends. The corporation wants to MAKE money, selling the least they can for the most possible money. I'm not knocking free enterprise or minimizing the buyer's responsibility to educate himself. John's forte is creating some sense of order from the combining of those two goals, and he does it remarkably well. His demeanor while doing so indicates a level of self-control and dignity most of us should strive to achieve.
I have ranted on about this "bin-worthy" guitar for two days now, and John has rolled his eyes (he didn't think I could see that) and known that I'd come around. And I have. Yes, I'll be emailing John the pictures of my guitar. He can post them here if he wants, but that's not necessary to satisfy me as a customer OR to meet the company's goals. Are there defects in the finish of my guitar? Yup. Would they be sufficient to categorize it as a blem? Yup. Do they hurt the playability, sound, or reliability of my PM20Pro? Not at all.

I take good care of my guitars. I've got a '65 Gibson acoustic that looks like it did the day my Dad bought it. I'll take the same care of my Parkers, and if I choose to sell the PM20Pro someday, it'll be 40 hells of a deal for whoever gets it. But I'm going to relax on this whole notion of getting it replaced. Seems to me that Marilyn Monroe had a black mark too, and a couple of freckles, and she needed a bit of work on her nut situation as well. But she's still the standard by which classic beauty is judged. Fact of the matter is, this guitar plays like a dream, has all the bite and growl and punch and projection and sustain I could ask for, weighs next to nothing, and it looks DISTINCTIVE. John, be on the lookout for those pictures. Show them to the QC guys and tell them not to keep letting that stuff thru. Then GET MY T-SHIRT SHIPPED and you can move my name back over into the "smiling" column.
Nigel

Owner/Operator:
'02 Nitefly SA, P42, & PM20 Pro  
Line 6 & Trace Elliot amps

Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Blue Gator P-38, Carvin 12-String Quilt, and a whole bunch of Kiesel customs, in hopes that Parker someday gets their $#!T together again.

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »
I hate to tell you this, but I had instructed CS to send you a hat and a t-shirt with your guitar.
I never rolled my eyes - seriously.

JP

PS - I also knew that a Dealer would step in and make Kurry Kid happy.  Does that make me prescient? 'Cause that would be really cool.

Thanks for your very kind words.

Offline Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 12:04:52 AM »
Yes, John... that makes you precious.
<BFG>
Nigel

Owner/Operator:
'02 Nitefly SA, P42, & PM20 Pro  
Line 6 & Trace Elliot amps

Offline Baltes

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 05:57:54 PM »
I took delivery of my PM20 Pro Pearl White about 3 weeks ago.  I bought it as Chuck Levin's in Washington DC.  Got it home and started to look at the guitar in detail.  Wow, I could not believe the poor workmanship of this guitar.  So, I called Parker and asked for a replacement. To their credit, they agreed.  I got an RA# and sent the guitar back.  I waited patiently for the new PM20 Pro to arrive.  I got the call today from Chuck Levin's - "your guitar is in."  Great!  Well I just got back from Levin's without the guitar!  Why - the workmanship was even worse on the new, replacement guitar.  I decided to cut my losses and get my money back.  Basically, the guitar looks great from a distance and plays very well, but a close inspection reveals that it's just Korean-made crap.

Words cannot express my disappointment.  I was contemplating a custom single cut, but now I have no confidence in Parker Guitars.

Regards, Mike

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 07:00:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Baltes

Words cannot express my disappointment.  I was contemplating a custom single cut, but now I have no confidence in Parker Guitars.

Regards, Mike

Sorry to hear about that. A Custom Single Cut would most definately renew your confidence in Parker. They're built to order right here in the USA. You can pick em up for around $1800. Worth every penny. It's really a shame that the Pro(s) weren't up to your standards. Could you elaborate a little on the problems you had with these guitars? Though you got your money back, I'm curious whether the local dealer agreed with your evaluation? I Hope you give Parker another chance to win you over.

www.USCustomShop.com "coming soon"
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

jwrooker

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Baltes

Regards, Mike

I can understand your disappointment, Mike, but comparing a Parker P series to an American Custon Shop guitar is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?  I've had a running email conversation with Jamie at the US Custom Shop and I firmly believe that he's the real deal and that you could order a Custom Shop Parker and be very pleased with it.  If I could afford it (I can't right now), I'd do the Custon Shop thing without a second thought.  Your dream guitar will be built entirely in the Costom Shop.  That's a big difference from a plant in Korea that turns out hundreds of guitars a day.  

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Parker Southern NiteFly
Parker NiteFly M
Carvin AE185/12
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson ES135
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Offline Reeper612

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 08:23:02 PM »
I'm glad that this isuue was brought up because it is one that I am very familiar with. I have serious issues with quality control, and I am very picky when it comes to blems. I don;t think that when one buys a brand new guitar that they should have to "learn to accept" its flaws. There shouldn't be any, its brand new. And if there are, then you certainly didn't get what you payed for, which is a brand new guitar.

I recently bought and returned several guitars for this very reason. First I bought a schecter c-1 plus and then a blackjack. I returned them both because there was an unreasonable amount of buzzing from both guitars. After being disappointed there, I then found parker. I played a PM20 at  a music store and fell in love with the sound and playability. I bought it a few days later.

After taking it home I saw that there was an issue with the pickups. The ribbon was damaged and had wax on it. While it didn't seem to be effecting sound, I returned that guitar nonetheless because I don't think that I should have to "settle for" an inferior quality product, minor as this blem may have been.

They then traded me for another one which was far worse than the first. It have scratches and dents, finish problems and in addition it looked like the guitar had been well used and sitting there for a while because it had non-factory strings and they looked OLD. (In parker's defense, this had nothing to do with them and rather just the bolagnaty employees at the music shop).

All these instinces have made me very cautious about quality. After deciding that I wasn't satisfied with any of the guitars I bought, I decided to take it all back and save up for something a little nicer.

That guitar was to be a new PM20 pro. I figured that it would be perfect since I loved the PM20 and it have more features. However, nigel's experience with his PM20 has made me VERY nervous about buying a Pro.

Nigel, you may be able to live with the blems on your guitar but I am not that willing to overlook such things if I payed full price. In addition I have "return fatigue" from having dealt with so many crappy Korean guitars that if I have to return another guitar for quality reasons, I'm going to be very pissed off. In addition, I will have to order a PRO online because no stores here caryy them, which means returning it will be a HUGE hassel and will cost MORE MONEY to ship back.

I want to believe that I can buy a parker and have confidence that it will be right THE FIRST TIME. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but they're not going to change. Please John, convince me that its worth my time to order one of these sight unseen. Or is a stickler like me doomed to only be satisfied with an american made quality assured product? I don;t want to lose faith...

Offline JSanta

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »
I have to ask you though, how can you blame Parker for guitars that a shop should never sell?  Don't you think that alone makes some of these claims ridiculous?  I'm sorry, when you buy a $400 guitar you get what you pay for, nothing more usually unless you get a Parker.  Quality contol is an issue for all companies, but the bottom line in most cases is that guitar shops want to make money and they are willing to sell something that is defective.  Don't blame Parker 100% for this.  And as a consumer, that is inherent risk you take.  Life isn't fair.  

/jim

-Buddha