Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very Disappointed with PM20 Pro  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Baltes

Very Disappointed with PM20 Pro
« on: March 11, 2006, 06:27:41 AM »
I took delivery of a PM20 Pro Pearl White about 3 weeks ago. I bought it as Chuck Levin's in Washington DC. Got it home and started to look at the guitar in detail. Wow, I could not believe the poor workmanship on this guitar. So, I called Parker and asked for a replacement. To their credit, they agreed no questions. I got an RA# and sent the guitar back. I waited patiently for the new PM20 Pro to arrive. I got the call today from Chuck Levin's that the guitar is in. Great right? Well, not so fast.  I just got back from Levin's without the guitar! Why? - the workmanship was even worse on the new, replacement guitar. I decided to cut my losses with Parker and get my money back.  Basically, the guitar looks great from a distance and plays very well, but a close inspection reveals that it's just Korean-made crap.  This is not the quality that has become synonymous with Parker Guitars.  The dealer was less than amused as well!

Words cannot express my disappointment. I was contemplating a custom Mojo Single Cut, but now I have no confidence in Parker Guitars.

Regards, Mike [:(!]

jwrooker

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:46:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Baltes

Words cannot express my disappointment. I was contemplating a custom Mojo Single Cut, but now I have no confidence in Parker Guitars.

Regards, Mike [:(!]

Mike,

Would you judge the quality of Gibson Custom shop by playing an Epiphone?  Or a Fender Custom Shop by playing a Squier?  The P series is a lower priced Korean import. The represent a good value but you cannot expect Custom Shop quality. Try a NiteFly or a Fly if you can and judge the quality of the American made Parkers.  

Take care!

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Parker Southern NiteFly
Parker NiteFly M
Carvin AE185/12
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson ES135
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:33:55 AM »
To its defense, every PM-20 and PM-20PRO I have seen or played as been of the upmost quality.  And before anyone asks, no, these guitars were not made especially for me.  They are the same guitars as those that can be purchased by anyone.

Mike, no offense but I would make sure that you perform an inspection of any instrument or equipment that you purchase before leaving a dealer.  You may certainly find something down the road that could have been missed initially, but I would think that the issues you have (which seem to be many based on the tone of your post) would have been easily noticed at the shop.

I totally agree with John:  comparing Gibson/Epiphone, Fender/Squier, Parker US/PM-series is not an apples to apples comparison.

Jason Davis
guitarist/songwriter/producer
www.JasonDavisMusic.com

Jason Davis is a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, Mojo Strings, and BMG Music Publishing Artist.  Join Jason's MySpace community at myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic

Offline Jason Davis

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »
Sorry, I have to say one more thing (and this is not personally to you, Mike, but just an overall comment)...

I find it rather odd that anyone with an immediate issue of a newly purchased Parker guitar assumes that they should contact Parker directly in order to rectify the situation.  Why is this assumed to be the protocol?  If one buys a Fender or a Gibson at Guitar Center and has an immediate issue, is it standard practice to contact Fender/Gibson directly?  Isn't this part of the dealer's responsibilities?  If the guitar was purchased directly from the manufacture, then it would make sense....but that is rarely the situation.

Also, why is it always assumed that the issues found are that of the manufacturer?  Of course it is possible, but the guitar certainly does go through other hands once it leaves the factory and ends up with the buyer.  There's packaging, shipping, customs (in the case of overseas manufacturers), dealers, techs that set up the guitar, and the salesman not to mention other potential buyers if the guitar has been hanging on the wall for display.  Without knowing the issues that Mike had found, it can not be determined by us readers if the issues he had were with construction, set-up, or otherwise.  However, all of these can play a factor.

If I buy eggs from the grocery store and one is broken when I get home, should I call the farmer or the hen that produced the egg?  No.  I would go to the store and ask for a replacement.  Besides, I doubt that the hen would be inclined to put it back from whence it came.

Mike, it sounds like Chuck Levin's was in the loop with your issue as he should be.  Basing the situation off of your post (and not knowing the whole story), it should have been the store that worked with Parker directly and not you.  Regardless, the replacement and exchange was done through the dealer.

Sorry to rant, but it's been on my mind for quite a while.  No offense to those that have had issues with their guitars in the past.  I just wanted to say my peace.  That's what a forum is for, right?  8^)

Jason Davis
www.JasonDavisMusic.com

Jason Davis is a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, Mojo Strings, and BMG Music Publishing Artist.  Join Jason's MySpace community at myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic

jwrooker

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 12:00:24 PM »
Jason,

Well stated!  I worked for a nubmer of years in retailing, actually more years than I care to think about..  It seems to me that a dealer should make the initial inspeciton of an isntrument and determine whether it should be put out on display.  Price plays an important part in decided what gets displayed and what does not.  I have no idea of the dealer/vendor relationship between US Music and their dealer network, but I assume that dealers can contact the vendor if something is not up to standards and these issues would be corrected without a customer receiving a substandard instrument.  For example, a couple years ago, I purchased my Gibson ES135 from EM Shorts.  they told me that they individually inspect and setup every instrument and only ship out the ones they consider to be good.  The ES I received is of very high quality and the setup was perfect.  This is not a high end Gibson, just a reissue but it is a wonderful jazz/blues guitar.

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Parker Southern NiteFly
Parker NiteFly M
Carvin AE185/12
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson ES135
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Offline Baltes

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
Jason - I agree with you to a certain degree - egg/farmer thing.  However, as with most music stores - it's like organized chaos in those places and I'd prefer to cut them out of the loop all together.  I hope I haven't offended anyone by saying that. I feel like I saved myself at least a week of time between exchange and new guitar by taking direct control of the process.  I guess that's one of the reasons Parker/USM has a customer service line for customers to call when problems arise.

My problem with the PM20 Pro was cosmetic/workmanship.  The guitar had 3 stickers on the back of folk who signed as "inspecting" the first guitar.  Let me say again:  3 people inspected the first guitar.  I just can't imagine in my line of work letting something with that degree of low quality leave the office.  I'd be out of business in a hurry. Quality is always a priority.

You're right - when I got the guitar I was like kid in a candy shop.  I just had to plug it in and play it.  Can you blame me - it's beautiful and plays like a dream.  I did not inspect it as closely as I should have at the dealer.  However, I don't feel like I should have to inspect product from Parker that closely as I've come to expect only the best product.  I learned from that mistake and inspected the replacement - as I've already noted - it was worse.  So bad the dealer was embarrassed.  Chuck Levin's was great throughtout the entire process as was Parker.  No complaints about CS - just the guitar.

I assume you're Jason from the Custom Shop.  If you are, I would be more than willing to work with you on a custom single cut as long as Parker was willing to make good on the two lousy guitars it sent me.  I would certaintly consider cost + 10% if that works for Parker/USM.  I really like Parker Guitars and would like to own another.

Let me know.  None of your "rants" were taken personally.

Regards, Mike

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 01:01:06 AM »
Jason, I would also like for you to have me a Custom USA built Parker at cost + $12. [;)] Seriously, I don't mind. If you feel like restocking your Fender Picks at my expence, I'm OK with that. I'm just here to help a brother out!

www.USCustomShop.com "coming soon"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 01:32:24 AM by ChicagoKid »
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

Offline Baltes

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »
Apologies to Jason and Jamie for getting my J's mixed up.  It happens.  I was running out the door with the wife and was typing/thinking too fast.

Jamie - Proper response would have been to politely point out my simple mistake.  Then, considering the troubles with the PM20 Pro and the fact that you're a representative of USM, you should have offered up a phone # or directed me to the US Custom Shop website for contact info and noted for me to call you so that we can work together on the custom Parker guitar of my choice. Which I "was" very very serious about - emphasis on was.  But, I guess you're making big $$ off custom guitars and the opportunity cost of offending the odd Parker customer is very low.  Good for you, brother!

Thanks for offer to restock picks, but I'll pass.

Regards, Mike

Offline Jason Davis

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 10:30:29 AM »
Mike -
I could see why you'd want to take matters into your own hands as I understand your concerns.  However, the Customer Service line for Parker is not meant to be used that way.  Fortunately for you, they did work to assist you....but that is not their job.  John can correct me if I'm wrong, but the CS line is set up to answer questions, order replacement parts, and assist with problems that may arise with already owned instruments - not new purchases.  

Remember:  the dealer is making money on the purchase as they charge more for the guitar than what the manufacturer is charging them.  Working with the customer and assisting them with complaints on a new purchase is part of their "cost of doing business" as it should be as they are making money off of the buyer.  A company such as Cavin that sells direct to the consumer would use both their Sales and CS departments to handle initial problems, but 99% of the guitar manufacturers out there do not work this way.  Again, I can't imagine Fender or Gibson working the way that most of us expect Parker to in these situations.  I still don't get why that is...

The purchase of a perfect anything (guitar, egg, toy, mail-order bride...oh, scratch that) does not exist.  Why?  Human error.  Granted, there is more human error in some instances than others, but there is always human error...even from those of us that strive for perfection.  Therefore, I would suggest that you never take the inspection of a high-dollar purchase for granted...no matter the manufacturer.  I know I wouldn't walk on to a car lot and make a purchase without looking the car over.  Why should buying a high-dollar guitars be any different?

Although ChicagoKid's comments were dripping with sarcasm (and I personally am a fan of his humor), his point is right on.  I'm not sure why you are expecting that Parker "make good" on this.  You did get your money back, right?  If not, then I would agree that something should be done through the dealer.  But asking that Parker sell you a US-made guitar at dealer cost (not to mention a Custom US-made guitar which would much expensive) because of problems encountered when trying to acquire a much less expensive Korean-made guitar is not a fair comparison.  We're back to apples and oranges.  I'd love to go buy a Ford Focus and return it in order to get a brand new Mustang for a minimal consideration.  Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way.

If you have the additional funds to do so, I would suggest purchasing a US-made Parker instead of a P-series.  It sounds like the P-series guitars may not meet your expectations, but I am certain that the US models will.  There are many people on this board that are thrilled with their Parkers, so this should be a testament to what you can expect.  I hope you do go that route as I doubt that you will be sorry.  If you unfortunately are not able to make the larger purchase, then I would suggest to either save your money until you do or (and I hate to say this) look at making another purchase from another manufacturer.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.  

My 4-year old is watching me over my shoulder, so I think he has something to add.  I now hand the keyboard over to him:

rrrrrrrrrrrrrjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjpppppppppppppppppppppooooooooo
oooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhereee3r455eerr434r5e44e4

Nicely put, Josh!

Jason Davis
www.JasonDavisMusic.com

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 04:35:52 PM by Jason Davis »

Offline Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 01:37:47 PM »
Was that the silent Welsh bbbbbbbbbbhhhhhhhhhh, or the standard American flavor?
Nigel

Owner/Operator:
'02 Nitefly SA, P42, & PM20 Pro  
Line 6 & Trace Elliot amps
"Never, EVER buy weed from Lando Calrissian."

Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Blue Gator P-38, Carvin 12-String Quilt, and a whole bunch of Kiesel customs, in hopes that Parker someday gets their $#!T together again.

Offline ChicagoKid

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »
Jason, I think your 4yo has a career in CS! [:o)] Very well spoken young man. However, he might learn to make use of the space button. I think this page is now about 2 1/2 pages.... Wide! [:D] When i'm typing you can see my 3yo literally foaming at the gums to get her hands on the keyboard!
   Mike, I wasn't trying to offend you. This is a light hearted forum that's more like a community. After 7 or 8 negative posts on your part, I'm not sure anybody really knows what you really want. You have all of your money, No guitar in possession, nothing on the way & you've stated that you're not willing to go a 3rd round. Hello? You came here to complain and spread it around. Fair enough. However, people were here to listen, sympathize, offer suggestions etc. You're still complaining. I even suggested on the other thread you consider a PM20 Tangerine with an after market Duncan install. Readily available, Cool finish, No abalone & very affordable. The difference in price from the Pro would pay for the Duncans of your choice.
   You might also check out a US built Single Cut without all the bling like this one

Lastly, the majority of my humor was directed towards Jason as I knew he would "get it". I wasn't making light of your recent troubles. It's worth pointing out that I or Jason do not work for USM. JohnP is the man on the "inside". He takes weekends off from the forum. That alone proves his brilliance over mine!

Offline Jason Davis

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 09:22:25 PM »
He told me that space bars are so overrated, but I went ahead and put some spaces in while his back was turned.  Oh the wrath that I should face if he ever finds out...

Jason Davis
www.JasonDavisMusic.com

Offline klaetos

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:56:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoKid
   You might also check out a US built Single Cut without all the bling like this one

OK,

I am interstested maybe in this one.  I go back and forth with the PMpro or the upgrade.  I have been looking at some "Other X Brand" american made custom guitars for about a $1000.  How much does this one above go for at a realistic price (not list quote please).  

How much more would it cost to make a style like the PM pro in the US , something that I know I am  going to open the case and love from the first day, no bad cosmetics, no QC screw ups??  Since Parker is venturing out into the all wood (no carbon glass composite) in their Korean models how about a mid price good quality one made or finished up in the US, sort of like the idea behind the Epiphone Elitist (It seems like they are selling a lot of these)?  The reason I came looking at parker was for the flexability (coil tap) of sounds. Look how many Gibson Vintage Mahogany are sold.  How about a plain dressed down quality american made (all wood) Single Cut Parker with the coil tap for less then $1000.  

Thanks All

Chad

God gave us life, why not live your life according to HIS plan!

Offline JSanta

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 09:35:17 AM »
If I am not mistaken, Parker will not make a guitar with those specs.  The composite fingerboard and carbon/glass epoxy on the back of the guitar are what makes the instrument so stable.  If you want a single-cut guitar that is made like you want you might want to check out Carvin, their SC90 starts at $700.  I have their best model, and I have to say that my Parker just blows it away.  If you are seriously interested in trying to have Parker build you that guitar you should contact the Custom Shop and see what they say, but I am pretty sure that some of that technology is used on all of the American-made guitars, so good luck!

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Offline ChicagoKid

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 11:19:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by klaetos

OK,

I am interstested maybe in this one.  I go back and forth with the PMpro or the upgrade.  I have been looking at some "Other X Brand" american made custom guitars for about a $1000.  How much does this one above go for at a realistic price (not list quote please).  

How much more would it cost to make a style like the PM pro in the US , something that I know I am  going to open the case and love from the first day, no bad cosmetics, no QC screw ups??  Since Parker is venturing out into the all wood (no carbon glass composite) in their Korean models how about a mid price good quality one made or finished up in the US, sort of like the idea behind the Epiphone Elitist (It seems like they are selling a lot of these)?  The reason I came looking at parker was for the flexability (coil tap) of sounds. Look how many Gibson Vintage Mahogany are sold.  How about a plain dressed down quality american made (all wood) Single Cut Parker with the coil tap for less then $1000.  

Thanks All

Chad

God gave us life, why not live your life according to HIS plan!

Parker doesn't make the import style in their Custom shop. The closest to the PM20Pro but, built "Parker Style" in the US is the big brother to the PM20Pro, Fly Mojo Flame Single Cut (FMFSC). The guitar in the picture lists for $2700. The street price is $1950. The actual price is determined by the dealer or negotiated by you & your dealer. You can get it in black for a little less. Keep us posted!