Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sperzel D-Thing Drop D tuner  (Read 3254 times)

Offline PeterMa

Sperzel D-Thing Drop D tuner
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:17:54 AM »
I am thinking about installing the Sperzel D-thing on my Fly Classic.  Does anyone have any feedback as to how it performs?

Thanks

Peter in MA
Peter in MA.

Offline Binner

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:24:43 AM »
They work pretty well, takes a little tweaking to get everything balanced just right. I put one on my Classic and my Mojo. Its also a very simple install.
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12
Peavey 4x12 with two V30s and 2 G12T 75s
SWR Bass 750 with Mesa 4x10 and 1x15
Mesa Bass 400+
...and a bunch of other stuff

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
This this is great, I think it should come with all Flys hardtail or not.  I put one on my supreme, and don't know how I did without it.  If you play a lot of covers or use detuneings often it's a must.  Once, you know how to use it you can adjust it with a tuner in a matter of seconds.  It won't go out on its own either, only if the string does or if the guitar changes from humidity etc. so you don't have to tune it up very often. I say buy it, worse comes to worse and you don't like it, it comes right off and there are no modifications.  Best of luck.

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:22:41 PM »
Hey KW,
I bought the DropD Tuner to put on my Hardtail Artist, which I did. The thing that I had a hard time with was tuning the guitar. So, my question is - are you supposed to loosen the part that provides the stops while you bring your guitar to pitch, and then tighten it up? It's very hard to bring the guitar to pitch while the little legs are flailing back and forth. I am thinking that, since it came with no instructions, just a receipt for $55, that I must have been too dense to figure out how to use it. I took it back off, and have been DropD free for several years. BUT, if I am missing something in how to use it, I'd happily throw it back on.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bob
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Binner

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:18:41 PM »
I could see how it may be a little confusing. Yes, you leave the stop loose while tuning. Tune to E or tuning of choice, then move the stop all the way towards you, when it makes contact, tighten the stop with the lever. then flip it to the second position until it stops and use the fine tuner to get in D (or one step down for other tunings). As I mentioned its a balancing act, some may find more useful with the trem stop in "bend down only" mode as the dropped tuning will affect the other strings a bit in full floating mode.
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12
Peavey 4x12 with two V30s and 2 G12T 75s
SWR Bass 750 with Mesa 4x10 and 1x15
Mesa Bass 400+
...and a bunch of other stuff

Offline bAcKyS

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:29:28 PM »
it works great.I use it alot and it's also looks very cool

Offline SLICK

• http://www.kinaeda.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:56:32 AM »
6 weeks after ordering I am still waiting for mine to arrive.
In that time I have just about perfected manualy dropping the tuning by turning the tuner 97.3 deg AC :)
Soon hopefully
Rgds Robin
www.kinaeda.com

Parker Fly Deluxe
Boss GT-8
Laney LC 30II

Offline PeterMa

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »
Hey Robin, Where did you order your D-thing from?_____________________________________________________________
98 Parker Fly Classic W RMC Peizo & Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz Pick-Ups
Takamine EF381 12 String/Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin/Yamaha AES 620/Charvel Acoustic.
Acoustic line is run through: Boss TU9/Boss Compressor Sustainer/Boss AD7 Acoustic Modeler/Ibanez Tube Screamer/Ernie Ball Volume Pedal/Boss Looping Station into a Crate CA-125D.  
Electric line is run through: a Mark Tremonti Wah, & Boss Octave Pedal Into a midi controlled Yamaha DG-80.
Peter in MA.

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 09:06:38 AM »
After looking at Sperzel's page and seeing the D-Thing drop D tuner, and listening to people talk about it here, I think that my drop D tuner must be missing something. There is no lever to loosen the "L-Shaped feet" that perform the stops. In fact, there's no way to loosen it at all. Just a hex screw that holds it into the machine head. Did I get a not-quite-complete drop D tuner?

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  *   1997 Parker Fly Deluxe Metallic Green  *  2003 PRS Hollowbody II Tobacco Burst  *  2001 Steve Andersen Emerald City Blonde  *  2002 Steve Andersen Little Archie Red/Violin color  *  1998 Steve Andersen Oval Hole Natural  *  1999 Steve Klein M43 Oval Hole Natural  *  1939 Gibson Super 400 Blonde  *  2005 Goldtone Weissenborn Solid Mahogany  *  2005 Chandler RS2 Lap Steel  *  2001 Taylor AB2 Acoustic Bass  *  2003 Cordoba Gipsy Kings Thin Classical  *  2006 Baby Taylor  *  2005 Kala Tenor Uke  *  Vox Valvetronic  *  AER Alpha Amp  *  1958 Gibson GA20T Amp  *  Roland VG-88, GR-20, ME-50  *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline SLICK

• http://www.kinaeda.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 12:16:10 PM »
PeterMA

Only place I could find that would order the special Parker tuner for a reasonable price was:

www.wdmusicproducts.co.uk

talked to a guy called Ben Green
ben-green@wdmusicproducts.co.uk

I live in Edinburgh UK so its a bit more complicated for me :(
Rgds Robin
www.kinaeda.com

Parker Fly Deluxe
Boss GT-8
Laney LC 30II

Offline PeterMa

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 11:14:10 PM »
Thanks Slick for the info.  Are there any American companies that anyone would recomend to get this from?

Electric line is run through: a Mark Tremonti Wah, & Boss Octave Pedal Into a midi controlled Yamaha DG-80.
Peter in MA.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 11:32:34 PM »
I ordered a couple d-things a couple days ago. They will probably take a few weeks to get. Sperzel is swamped with OEM orders from loads of companies. If you want some your best bet is to order direct from Sperzel good luck trying to find anyone that has some NOS ones in stock. [^]

The main man at Sperzel is in his 80's and the staff isn't a bunch of kids so don't embarrass us if you call them BE NICE.

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 02:23:34 AM »
quote:
If you want some your best bet is to order direct from Sperzel good luck trying to find anyone that has some NOS ones in stock.

NOS?  Nitrous Oxide?  is that because you'll laugh when they tell you how long it will take to ship?

(joke - i know what NOS stands for, honest!)
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!