Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: midifly grounded  (Read 1322 times)

Offline chemrat

midifly grounded
« on: March 20, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »
With help from comments posted here and directly from forum members (thanks Marc!) and on midi guitar sites, I have finally determined that my Parker midifly doesn't send any midi signals.  I have tried multiple batteries, all combinations of the onboard midi switches and do put a 1/4" guitar cable in the guitar-out jack which is necessary to activate the piezo pickups.

This is the guitar I bought as new-old-stock from a shop that was a Parker dealer until it was bought out by a large chain.  It is a great guitar in its own right, so I'm not whining too much.  But, it is my understanding that Parker doesn't support the guitar or the defunct midiaxe system that the midifly is based on, so ...

I'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions on how to regain the midi capability of the Parker.

As far as I can tell, I have all of the necessary parts, including the breakout box (it is a module, powered by a 9 V/1 amp wall wart, that goes between the midi out from the guitar and the midi in to sound module etc.).

I definitely have no clue where the break in the chain is occurring.  But, I keep getting deeper into this money pit that I have feeble understanding of (MIDI!!), and now have a Roland 2080 module and GI-20 (13-pin GK to 5-pin midi conversion box, to oversimplify things).  Everything works with my Brian Moore 21.13 (everything that I can figure out, which isn't much yet, but sound does come out when I play and the midi light flashes on the 2080).  

The main purpose of this started out to be a a way to obtain a detailed record of my improv, so I can try to figure out what I'm really playing and why it doesn't sound better (in other words more instructional than anything else), but, since my 13-year old son plays rings around me and my younger son play piano/keys, I'm now looking to branch out into midi guitar performance to backup the boys, and to give them a shot at midi technology if they are interested.

Has anyone dealt with dead Parker midiflys, or do you have suggestions?  Thanks!

Chemrat
St. Louis, Missouri
Fly Deluxe, MidiFly, Boogie 22, POD 2.0, Yamaha AG stomp (still lost in the basement), Strat Plus, 2 Tele's (Custom '72 RI's, one Korean, one MIJ), two 1970 Japanese LP copies, Brian Moore 21.3, Fender Twin, pair of Fishman Loudboxes, various acoustics including classical, dreagnought, jumbo and 12-string .... Just starting with MIDI/synth: Roland JV2080, GI-20, VG-8, presonus firebox/cubase LE, other GK control via my son's Godin ACS Slim and midi control by my other son's keyboard.