Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Deluxe Pickups  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Darth Tater

• http://www.chuckamuck.com
Fly Deluxe Pickups
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:37:01 PM »
Yeah yeah, I know...here comes the new guy with a topic that's been discussed a hundred times [;)]

Yes, this is my first post here. I actually just found this forum after I read that Ken Parker had control of the company again. I bought a gold Fly Deluxe around 1997..of course I love it and still play it almost every day.

So yes, I do have another pickup question. I have scoured the forums already and read a bunch of pickup info...I just need more.

Years ago, I added on/on/on switches to both the DiMarzio's in the fly so I have series/split/parallel on both pickups (although if I had it to do over I wouldn't bother doing this for the bridge pickup).

BUT I've always felt the bridge pickup could be fatter with more punch and more midrange. So the first question...

...since my Fly is so old I'm assuming it has the old style DiMarzio's. Do the NEW DiMarzio's really sound THAT much better? I mean is it worth $160 to change them out, honestly? I'm looking for fatness and punch.

Looking through DiMarzio's pickups, I see the specs on The Breed pickup and it seems right up my alley...and I see that they make it in a Fly version. Has anyone put a Breed Fly at the bridge?

Lastly, what's the best place to get the DiMarzio Flys, including all the other pickups DiMarzio makes in Fly flavor?

I'm fairly satisfied with the pickups in the Fly now, actually. The Norton in the neck pretty much rivals my PRS with an Artist Bass. Just compared to my other guitars with different pickups wired the same way the Fly bridge lacks just a little fatness...roundness...punchiness. Make sense?

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline 908ssp

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:33:01 PM »
Welcome to the light side Darth Tater and to the Parker forum. [:)]

I think the Parker 2nd generation pickups might be just what you're looking for. I have a lot of misgivings about trying pickups designed for other guitars in a Fly. I think that was the problem with the original pickups. I called the Dimarzio custom shop and talked to a guy there I am afraid I can't remember his name but he said he helped developed the 2nd generation pickups for Parker and it was the darkest deepest most midrangey pickup they made period. From what he said I understood that any other pickup in their catalog would be brighter and thinner then the 2nd generation Fly pickup. I have bought three sets replaced both the Deluxe and Classic pickups and the new ones are better.

That article about Ken buying back the company I am afraid is a bit out of date. He sold it again this time to U.S. Music. I do believe they are trying to both increase production and improve quality a tough thing to do. Like every board or club I have ever been on there are always a disproportionate number of complaints giving a unrealistic impression how terrible things are.

Nice collection of guitars and basses you have. I found that once I had really come to appreciate my Deluxe all my other guitars were just gathering dust. So I sold them all and bought more Parkers. I collect amps and lightsabers instead. [^]

I have a web site link is the little house in the boarder above.[;)]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Darth Tater

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:14:11 PM »
Thanks 908, the more I read the more I agree with you. I think I'll go with the new DiMarzio's made for the Fly. I found a place (actually saw it in an old post here) that sells them in zebra coil for $65 each.

Now I have another question...since I have series/cut/parallel switches for both pickups, the middle position no longer works like it used to. Now of course it turns both pickups full on, then it's up to the mini switches to choose what you want. So now if I go middle position with both pickups in coil cut, I've got nasty hum. Quite simply, would getting one of the new pickups reverse wound fix that?

And then on the other side, what effect would having one reverse wound pickup have on the other modes? Say like if I switch both  to parallel mode, what would having one reverse wound do to the sound?

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline PeterMa

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:08:44 PM »
I just went to the Dimarzio website and these are the options for Parker compatible Pickups.  There are more choices than I thought.

What pickups do you make for Parker Fly?
In addition to the Parker Fly Custom Neck model PHWP1 and Parker Fly Custom Bridge model PWHP2, which are currently standard on most recent Flys, we also offer Fly versions of the Humbucker From Hell®, PAF®, PAF Pro®, FRED®, Norton®, Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Tone Zone®, Breed™ neck and bridge models, Air Classic™ neck and bridge and Virtual PAF™ neck and bridge models.

Maybe I will go with a Dimarzio instead of a Seymour Dunacn in my next Parker.  It sure is easier than sending my guitar out to get the new pickups installed, which requires re-routing the cavities.  With the Dimarzios I think that you just bring it to a competant tech and have him swap it out.  Of course these pick-ups are a special order @ the evil GC.

Regarding your hum question with the pick ups running parrallel, etc-I don't know if we can adequately address this problem without knowing exactly how the guitar is wired.  

Just my 2 cents._____________________________________________________________
98 Parker Fly Classic W RMC Peizo & Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz Pick-Ups
Takamine EF381 12 String/Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin/Yamaha AES 620/Charvel Acoustic.
Acoustic line is run through: Boss TU9/Boss Compressor Sustainer/Boss AD7 Acoustic Modeler/Ibanez Tube Screamer/Ernie Ball Volume Pedal/Boss Looping Station into a Crate CA-125D.  
Electric line is run through: a Mark Tremonti Wah, & Boss Octave Pedal Into a midi controlled Yamaha DG-80.
Peter in MA.

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline PeterMa

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:11:25 PM »
Hey Darth Tater-Are you an evil Spud?

Electric line is run through: a Mark Tremonti Wah, & Boss Octave Pedal Into a midi controlled Yamaha DG-80.
Peter in MA.

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Darth Tater

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
Am I evil? You know it!

I called DiMarzio today and asked them about the reverse wound pickup and he said that's not really worth doing. He said I should instead get normal pickups and wire one of them to cut a different coil using the on/on/on switch so it will be hum cancelling.

He also said that the Fly pickups will be fatter and thicker in the Fly than a Breed would be. So, looks like the new Fly pickups are the way to go!

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline 908ssp

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater

Am I evil? You know it!

He also said that the Fly pickups will be fatter and thicker in the Fly than a Breed would be.

See I wasn't imagining things. [:o)]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline parkeraxe

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 05:22:01 AM »

Forgive my aging memory cells, but when did Parker introduce the P1/P2 replacement Dimarzios ?

Can one tell from the Serial No. or is it just the year ?

Thanks.
Deluxe '93 / Artist '94 / NiteFly '97 /  Classic '05 / P6E '07 / Nylon '08.

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 06:18:13 AM »
I just searched the forum and found this:

"Also of note you find this from Ed Romans website.....

--------------------------------------------------------
Tech Notes:

Flys built since April of 1999 are equipped with DiMarzio newer Parker Fly Custom Neck #PHWP1, and Parker Fly Custom Bridge #PHWP2. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 5/8" long.

From 1993 through March of 1999 Flys had the original DiMarzio pickups, which were based on the Air Norton for the neck position and the Tone Zone for the bridge position. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 3/8" long. These were the same pickups that Music Man was using in their Axis type model or earlier EVH but they sound worthless and weak in the Fly

Ed Roman"

-----------------
I would definitely check this out with both Dimarzio and Parker to be sure."

Roman may have a reputation for "taking liberties" but he most likely got close to right on the history above.

Custom Artist '03; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 06:39:01 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 07:12:16 AM »
I've got the 2nd generation PuPs in my 95 fly... I like them!
My interest is in you switching and pickup wiring.  First off, if you wire the pickups exactly like the Parker layout...http://www.parkerguitars.com/media/pdfs/original_wire_diagram.pdf
You will avoid the hum. Second, since you already have the holes in the guitar for the switches, replace one with a DPDT and move the 2 sets of the split wires off of the main switch to the new DPDT. (These are the Red/Green on the left and the Black/white on the right of the switch) What you'll have is all Humbucker or all single coil with the switch flipped.

Wish I had the guts to drill that hole... You've got two!! :-)

1995 Parker Fly Deluxe Emerald Green
I build my own amps. See:
www.loosechange.freeservers.com
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 07:24:09 AM »
Hey Loosechange. I just clicked on your home page and heard 45 seconds of top notch, tight guitar lead.

I can almost play like that for 15 to 20 seconds max but doubt I could ever make it to 45...[B)]

You guys sound great! [:)][:)][:)]

Custom Artist '03; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Darth Tater

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 09:51:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by LooseChange

Second, since you already have the holes in the guitar for the switches, replace one with a DPDT and move the 2 sets of the split wires off of the main switch to the new DPDT. (These are the Red/Green on the left and the Black/white on the right of the switch) What you'll have is all Humbucker or all single coil with the switch flipped.

I think that's what I've done..if we're on the same page here. I added a DPDT on/on/on switch for each pickup. The series/parallel/cut switching is done with the new switches. The only wires going to the original switch are the hot leads from the added switches so all it does is choose which pickup is on. And when I talked to DiMarzio he said I should not wire both the switches the same way (which I did). He said to wire the neck pickup so it cuts the opposite coil as the bridge, and it will be humbucking when the selector switch is on both pickups, and both mini switches are in coil cut. He gave me the wiring diagram to do that, which I didn't have at the time :)

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »
Darth, I get it. My idea was to have all PUPs single coil or Humbucker. Use the switch to select. The Parker is setup to use the outer pickups in the single coil mode.
Bill, I hadn't listened to the clip in a year. It's my Parker and a home made amp.  The cool thing is how it was recorded. One cheap large diaphragm microphone in the middle of the room, into a mixer (no eq) and straight into a direct to CD recorder.  (I'm talking a really cheap consumer grade recorder)  We use this setup for all notebook recordings during rehearsal.

1995 Parker Fly Deluxe Emerald Green
I build my own amps. See:
www.loosechange.freeservers.com
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Darth Tater

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by LooseChange

Darth, I get it. My idea was to have all PUPs single coil or Humbucker. Use the switch to select. The Parker is setup to use the outer pickups in the single coil mode.

Yep, that's precisely what I can do....I can have both pickups single coil and use the selector switch to choose the pickup. BUT in addition to that I can also set each pickup to series, or each pickup to parallel. OR one to series and one to parallel. So you have 3 totally different modes for each pickup, then you have the middle position where you can combine any of those sounds. For instance my favorite sound from any guitar is a bridge humbucker wired for parallel which you can't do with a stock Parker.

Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline dvallina

• http://www.highplaces.com.ar
Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Welcome to the light side Darth Tater and to the Parker forum. [:)]

I think the Parker 2nd generation pickups might be just what you're looking for. I have a lot of misgivings about trying pickups designed for other guitars in a Fly. I think that was the problem with the original pickups. I called the Dimarzio custom shop and talked to a guy there I am afraid I can't remember his name but he said he helped developed the 2nd generation pickups for Parker and it was the darkest deepest most midrangey pickup they made period. From what he said I understood that any other pickup in their catalog would be brighter and thinner then the 2nd generation Fly pickup. I have bought three sets replaced both the Deluxe and Classic pickups and the new ones are better.

That article about Ken buying back the company I am afraid is a bit out of date. He sold it again this time to U.S. Music. I do believe they are trying to both increase production and improve quality a tough thing to do. Like every board or club I have ever been on there are always a disproportionate number of complaints giving a unrealistic impression how terrible things are.

Nice collection of guitars and basses you have. I found that once I had really come to appreciate my Deluxe all my other guitars were just gathering dust. So I sold them all and bought more Parkers. I collect amps and lightsabers instead. [^]

I have a web site link is the little house in the boarder above.[;)]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha

sorry to bother... I've tried to send you an email but the forum didn't allowed me, so I put my question here...
Here it goes:
Hi Alex! I just got an used 97' fly deluxe from ebay and shipped to Argentina, where I live.
I've been surfing through the forum for 2 days and I can't find the answer to my problem. I reach out to You cuz You seem to be the Master Flyer...
The problem is: Magnetic pickups aren't working (the piezzo works perfect). When I switch to only mag or mixed it makes ultra low fried sound, like distorted but absolutely low volume. Iturned my PA in the loudest gain and volume trying to isolate the sound, just as I explained... bearly heareable distorted sound.
Battery ok, mono/stereo ok, cable ok and (looks like) the wiring is ok too... Any idea coming to yoiur flying mind?
Thanks a lot! Sorry if this is just a newbie thing... and also sorry for my indian-loke english grammar and spelling...
Best
Dan
Parker FLy Deluxe, electric blue. POD X3 Live from Line6 and a Fender Stage 100 Amp...oh... and 286 punds of viking rawk!!!