Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Deluxe Pickups  (Read 4906 times)

Offline 908ssp

Fly Deluxe Pickups
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:05 AM »
Sorry Dan no idea. When the PCB electronics screw up I just tear them out and convert to PTP.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Re: Fly Deluxe Pickups

Offline Wilmington only

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Roman's probably a little off on the dates.

When I joined Parker in 1996, one of the first things I noticed was that the pickups weren't as good as the rest of the guitar. Having done lots of pickup winding at my previous gig at Peavey and having known Steve Blucher (pickup designer at DiMarzio) since our run-in over Washburn's Super Distortion pedal when I was working there in '86, I asked Ken if I could take a shot at making the pickups better. Ken was always about making things "more wonderful" so he gave me his blessing to go ahead.
Making the Fly was different than anything I had previously done in the Music Products Industry so I thought that the pickups probably needed to be designed FOR the Fly from the ground up. I sent Flys made from Poplar, Mahogany and Spruce to Blucher, told him where I thought the tone needed to go (more low/more mid) and he took it from there. I still have the prototype set for what would become the Gen2 pickups in my Artist.

All that said, the first Gen2 pickups probably showed up on Flys closer to '97 or '98 not '99

I just searched the forum and found this:

<font color="green">"Also of note you find this from Ed Romans website.....

--------------------------------------------------------
Tech Notes:

Flys built since April of 1999 are equipped with DiMarzio newer Parker Fly Custom Neck #PHWP1, and Parker Fly Custom Bridge #PHWP2. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 5/8" long.

From 1993 through March of 1999 Flys had the original DiMarzio pickups, which were based on the Air Norton for the neck position and the Tone Zone for the bridge position. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 3/8" long. These were the same pickups that Music Man was using in their Axis type model or earlier EVH but they sound worthless and weak in the Fly

Ed Roman"

-----------------
I would definitely check this out with both Dimarzio and Parker to be sure." </font id="green">
Roman may have a reputation for "taking liberties" but he most likely got close to right on the history above.

Custom Artist '03; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo
Fly Artist
Spanish Fly
Flybass Prototype #1
Flybass Prototype #2

Offline Mr303

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »
Roman's probably a little off on the dates.

When I joined Parker in 1996, one of the first things I noticed was that the pickups weren't as good as the rest of the guitar. Having done lots of pickup winding at my previous gig at Peavey and having known Steve Blucher (pickup designer at DiMarzio) since our run-in over Washburn's Super Distortion pedal when I was working there in '86, I asked Ken if I could take a shot at making the pickups better. Ken was always about making things "more wonderful" so he gave me his blessing to go ahead.
Making the Fly was different than anything I had previously done in the Music Products Industry so I thought that the pickups probably needed to be designed FOR the Fly from the ground up. I sent Flys made from Poplar, Mahogany and Spruce to Blucher, told him where I thought the tone needed to go (more low/more mid) and he took it from there. I still have the prototype set for what would become the Gen2 pickups in my Artist.

All that said, the first Gen2 pickups probably showed up on Flys closer to '97 or '98 not '99

I just searched the forum and found this:

<font color="green">"Also of note you find this from Ed Romans website.....

--------------------------------------------------------
Tech Notes:

Flys built since April of 1999 are equipped with DiMarzio newer Parker Fly Custom Neck #PHWP1, and Parker Fly Custom Bridge #PHWP2. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 5/8" long.

From 1993 through March of 1999 Flys had the original DiMarzio pickups, which were based on the Air Norton for the neck position and the Tone Zone for the bridge position. These are identified by a DiMarzio logo, which is 3/8" long. These were the same pickups that Music Man was using in their Axis type model or earlier EVH but they sound worthless and weak in the Fly

Ed Roman"

-----------------
I would definitely check this out with both Dimarzio and Parker to be sure." </font id="green">
Roman may have a reputation for "taking liberties" but he most likely got close to right on the history above.

Custom Artist '03; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo

Talk about a cool necropost.
Good info, thanks Wil
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
Awesome info, love to see this kind of info!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
...that said, the first Gen2 pickups probably showed up on Flys closer to '97 or '98 not '99

I just bought a '97, and it appears to have Gen2 pickups.  It's being shipped now so I can't measure the size of the DiMarzio logo to confirm.  Anyone happen to know?

'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »
^ Those look like the Gen2 pickups on my '01 Deluxe.

However, the Gen1 pickups are known to exist on Flys made as late as '99. Apparently there was a long period of overlap where both types of pickups were used.

Also, I notice that your bridge has a black bushing with a seemingly round hole rather than a metallic bushing with a hex hole. Odd. Maybe it's just been painted black.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »
^ Those look like the Gen2 pickups on my '01 Deluxe.

However, the Gen1 pickups are known to exist on Flys made as late as '99. Apparently there was a long period of overlap where both types of pickups were used.

Also, I notice that your bridge has a black bushing with a seemingly round hole rather than a metallic bushing with a hex hole. Odd. Maybe it's just been painted black.

Thanks for the pickups info Syber.  I hadn't noticed the bridge bushing until you mentioned it.  Looking at another photo, the whammy bar appears to be round, not hex.  The bushing must have been replaced, but I don't know why someone would ever do that.  I've never heard of the old ones being replaced.
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline jb63

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »
I guess you'll find out soon!
That is a beautiful catch, used just enough to make it affordable, and now you can take it out and not be scared of scratching it!

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »
I guess you'll find out soon!
That is a beautiful catch, used just enough to make it affordable, and now you can take it out and not be scared of scratching it!

My thoughts exactly!   Thanks JB.
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
OP, did you ever swap pickups?  How do you like them?

Offline billy

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
Wow, this an old thread! Names I haven’t seen in forever. Used to be a lot more action in those days.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]