Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: delivery time  (Read 5049 times)

Offline simonlock

delivery time
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 07:10:23 PM »
Pics posted in the Nitefly section. Careful they're huge photos[:o)]

delivery time

Offline Lwinn171

delivery time
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 05:18:01 PM »
Quote from JPage...ALL USA orders are scheduled 7 months out...   We just happen to be sold out for the next 7 months.
John

John,
No wonder you have time to visit so much on the forum! You've already sold that far in advance! They need to cross-train you as a luthier. Seriously, shouldn't you be building another shop (or two) to keep up with demand? At some point, that kind of expansion would more than pay for itself. If you could (and you'd better!) keep the quality up, there's no reason not to make twice as many, right? [:D]

Lawrence Winn
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
Fender acoustasonic 30
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 05:19:07 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

delivery time

Offline bno

delivery time
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lwinn171

Seriously, shouldn't you be building another shop (or two) to keep up with demand? At some point, that kind of expansion would more than pay for itself.
You know, with all the talk about alleged "QC" issues, the idea of instantly ramping up production to meet current demand is frightening.  Its not like you're slapping together another production line with more machines.  These people are skilled.  The current production facility has to reach five sigma* before they should start expanding production.  In this instance, slow and steady is the formula.  

*Six Sigma = a quality measurement and improvement program originally developed by Motorola that focuses on the control of a process to the point of ± six sigma (standard deviations) from a centerline, or put another way, 3.4 defects per million items.  Five sigma is 230 defects per million or a average maximum of only one defect per 4,348 guitars, in other words 99.987% of perfection.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

delivery time

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
delivery time
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »
quality should be paid for and waited for.
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

delivery time

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
delivery time
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »
Waited two years for one of my Steve Andersen archtops. Also waited nearly two years for my 1939 Super 400 to get refurbed (not by Gibson, but by Mike Lennon at the Apprentice Shop in Nashville). The Super 400, while a blonde original (one of seven!) was a basket case and needed a thorough redo. But it came out a GREAT guitar.

Yeah, quality can be expensive and IS worth waiting for.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Emerald Green (thanks, Jim!) * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

delivery time

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
delivery time
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 09:26:04 AM »
2 years is a long time, even for a redo - what was he doing in all that time?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

delivery time

Offline uburoibob

delivery time
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »
Well, in the case of Steve Andersen, that is simply his backlog. In the case of the Super 400, not entirely sure. I got regular progress reports from aquaintances who visited the Apprentice Shop and saw the guitar in stages of restoration. In all fairness, the Super 400 was a basket case when I sent it - top and back were unglued from sides. Sides were splintered out along the quilt lines in the maple. Multiple cracks. All held together with a combination of duct, electrical and scotch tape! Someone had tried to make the fingerboard thinner. But because the instrument was one of the "magnificent seven" pre-war blonde non-cuts, I figured it was worth the time, effort and money (about $2500 to have this done, back in 1992). And it was. Turned out to be Super Super 400. Sounds great. Plays great. Is loud... Very cool. I paid $600 for it in Basket Case condition. Then another $200 for a new case in which to ship it.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Emerald Green (thanks, Jim!) * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

delivery time

Offline esimms

delivery time
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 07:57:01 AM »
Hey uburoibob, I know that this Super 400 talk is getting off topic but, I have to say, 3300 US dollars for a restored, rare Super 400, even adjusted for inflation, is a steal. I assume that there's a picture of your model in the Super 400 book? Which page might I ask?

P.S.
 I waited 2 years for each of my Timtones and 2 1/2 years for my Campellone archtop. Standard waits for high end custom instruments.

-  Esau

delivery time

Offline uburoibob

delivery time
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »
Hey Esau,

It's the twin to Jerry Garcia's Super 400. I will try and find some photos of Jerry's. Mine can be seen on the cover of a Steve Greene CD "Acoustic Living". http://www.stevegreene.com

Bob

delivery time

Offline esimms

delivery time
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
Thanks Bob. I believe I've read some stuff about Steve Greene in either "Just Jazz Guitar" or "Jazz Improv" magazine. The mp3's posted on his site sound sweet indeed. Since you've produced, recorded and mixed Steve's CD's, in addition to doing the cover art and also running your own ad agency as your "day job," you're obviously very talented in a "right brain" sort of way. And yes, I've seen a photo some years back of Jerry Garcia caressing his Gibson archtop which I believe was part of their Citation series. Reminded me of the old Strombergs. Your Super 400 must move a lot of air! Anyway, I've done enough hijacking of the Parker forum. Back to my Fly Mojo.
   -  Esau

delivery time

Offline uburoibob

delivery time
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »
OK, I found one shot. Jerry's is also a 1939 Super 400 - I gotta think mine and his were made in the same batch - certainly the same piece of quilted maple. I have seen shots of the back of his, and mine is a twin.

Here's the shot:

And here is mine:

But that's Roy Berns playing my guitar - not me.

BTW, that was a black and white photo that I tinted by hand (well, by hand in Photoshop).
Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:41:32 PM by uburoibob »

delivery time

jwrooker

delivery time
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
I miss Jerry..

That's a sweet looking guitar, Bob.  Was your guitar used on that CD?

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
'02 Parker NiteFly M
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst
Gibson ES135 Vintage Sundburst
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

delivery time

Offline jamrcat

delivery time
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
Awesome, that's for the photoshop work and Super Awesome for an incredible guitar. Thanks to you Bob some great guitar history will be around a little longer![:)]
"A Fly for each hand!"

delivery time

Offline uburoibob

delivery time
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »
No, John. Just for the cover. Roy used his 1949 (I think) Epiphone Triumph for the recording. Steve used his 1947 L7, neither of which were on the cover. For the photo shoot, we brought a bunch of old guitars in, some borrowed, just to work on different ideas. Some shots had a lot of guitars. It ended up that Steve used a friend's old L5 and Roy used my Super 400 in an impromptu jam in the photo studio, and it worked out that it was the best photo for the cover.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com