Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Classic Feedback  (Read 2039 times)

Offline mmelzer

Fly Classic Feedback
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:42:10 PM »
I know that "A camel is a horse designed by committee", but since you have a forum requesting feedback, I guess I'll give a little.[:D]

I'm new to Parkers, having gotten a Fly Classic about a week ago.  A few years back, I briefly owned a P-38 as well.

Now that I've had the chance to bond with the guitar some, I thought I'd offer a couple of thoughts:

- It would seem to me to be a no-brainer to use Schaller Straplock compatible strap buttons.  You don't have to include the whole straplock system, but if the buttons were there, people could easily use them without fear of putting a screw through the front of a $2k+ guitar.  I doubt there would be any difference at all in production cost.

- The upper fret access is unreal!  Never before have I had an instrument where playing above about the 17th fret was reasonably done.  Superb design!

- One area where the Fly trem system doesn't seem to get enough recognition is with it's ergonomics.  It's the most comfortable bridge system, trem or fixed!  There aren't any sharp edges like a TOM or vintage Strat trems, and the area you rest your hand against is very smooth and comfortable!

- Why was the P-38 cancelled?  I greatly prefer that NiteFly config much better than the current P series options.

- Personally, I have small hands and would prefer a less wide neck.  I know that for the shredders and bigger people the wide-flat is the in thing, but I would like to see one model of the Fly with a narrower neck (as an option maybe?).  Although I'm getting more used to it, with small hands it's hard to do the Hendrix-thumb-over-the-top-of-the-fretboard thing.

- I am partially disabled with a bad back.  The weight was a MAJOR factor in my purchase.  Great job on keeping the weight low!

- Any plans on bringing back the MidiFly?  Maybe as a SPO item?

- It would be great if you could get a far east repro of the Fly trem system for the P series, even if it requires standard springs instead of the flat spring.  The look and ergonomics of the trem I believe is integral to the Parker experience.

- On the back of my Fly Classic, where the upper horn joins the body, there is a ridge that runs parralell to the edge which digs into my side.  I'm guessing that ridge is there for strength to the upper bout, but it would be more comfortable if it was rounded more.

- How do I go about getting a replacement trem arm for my '99 Fly Classic?

Many thanks for all your efforts on the Fly's, and thanks for listening to the community!

Fly Classic Feedback

Offline bno

Fly Classic Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mmelzer

- On the back of my Fly Classic, where the upper horn joins the body, there is a ridge that runs parralell to the edge which digs into my side.  I'm guessing that ridge is there for strength to the upper bout, but it would be more comfortable if it was rounded more.

This is one beef many players have about the Fly.  Some have even sanded this off.  Leo Fender nailed the ergonomics of guitar playing with the revolutionary Stratocaster design - no edges on the guitar body and a beveled lower bout to accommodate the forearm - radical at the time.  And timeless, too.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Fly Classic Feedback

Offline Goose_Bend

Fly Classic Feedback
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:56:48 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mmelzer

I

- Personally, I have small hands and would prefer a less wide neck.  I know that for the shredders and bigger people the wide-flat is the in thing, but I would like to see one model of the Fly with a narrower neck (as an option maybe?).  Although I'm getting more used to it, with small hands it's hard to do the Hendrix-thumb-over-the-top-of-the-fretboard thing.

I would like my neck wider and thicker.I dont know how much bigger Classic necks are to the P series, but my P-44 neck is thin and not wide enough.

Fly Classic Feedback

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Fly Classic Feedback
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:57:53 AM »
I think that the width of the neck is fairly standard (1 11/16"). It's the depth that makes it seem wider.

Bob Martin

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Emerald Green (thanks, Jim!) * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com