Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: capo or string deadener?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline PatricBrown

• http://myspace.com/patrickronaldbrown
capo or string deadener?
« on: May 21, 2006, 08:02:02 AM »
After watching those Guitars Suck videos, I'm wondering what Dave Martone has up there near the headstock of his Fly. At first glance, I assumed he was capoing it, for reasons not apparent to me,,,it's his business, of course, but then, after also seeing the Fat Mr. Crab segment, I see he also has a piece of cloth tied around the neck at the nut, but covering the strings too. I've not seen this before, and was just curious. I've been at guitar for 41 years, but during the 90's took a bit of a hiatus to concentrate on fiddle and traditional acoustic music, and came back more and more to the electric come '99 and '00,  till now, and continuing, and so I've missed some of the evolution of stylistic approaches,,though I'm trying to acquaint myself with them more and more now. I play alot of electric these days,,but have not seen this before now. ???
Is this not a capo(obviously not in the case of FMC, but in Martone's case, it's too far away to see clearly,) and the idea of having something up there to deaden open strings to keep them from ringing makes sense. I renewed my sub to GP in 2001, but haven't seen this issue raised therein, so I ask you.

Pat

2005 Fly Deluxe Majik Blue
THD Univalve w/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack)
Traynor YCV20WR
various & assorted other acoustic & electric
Home Studio
http://www.myspace.com/patrickronaldbrown

2000 Fly Stealth Gray Hard Tail, 2000 Reverend Slingshot, THD Univalvew/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack), Traynor YCV20WR, Ableton Suite 8, various & assorted other acoustic & electric, Home Studio

It is better to know than to believe.

Live is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

capo or string deadener?

Offline 908ssp

capo or string deadener?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:24:52 AM »
It is a bungee for a pony tail. Yea just some cotton wrapped around an elastic band. It is there to damp the strings not dampen as he doesn't want wet strings.[:o)] Lots of shredders use a device like this. Michel De Angelo claims to have invented one that uses felt from a piano on a hinge with a spring that holds the felt in either position. Jenifer Batten uses one when she played with Jeff Beck. [^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

capo or string deadener?

Offline PatricBrown

• http://myspace.com/patrickronaldbrown
capo or string deadener?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:35:18 AM »
Thank you Alex. I appreciate the info. I was kinda thinking that might be it, tho I had never seen it,,though the idea of that sort of thing is not new to me,,such as putting a piece of folded up cloth between the dowel stick and head of an old time open back banjo,,etc. Specially with a tubaphone tone ring.

Pat

2005 Fly Deluxe Majik Blue
THD Univalve w/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack)
Traynor YCV20WR
various & assorted other acoustic & electric
Home Studio
http://www.myspace.com/patrickronaldbrown

2000 Fly Stealth Gray Hard Tail, 2000 Reverend Slingshot, THD Univalvew/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack), Traynor YCV20WR, Ableton Suite 8, various & assorted other acoustic & electric, Home Studio

It is better to know than to believe.

Live is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

capo or string deadener?

Offline gryder

capo or string deadener?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »
I've heard of it in recording. The guitars on Bush's Glycerine I was told use a similar method. The top 3 strings where mutted with cotton and the amp set to the sweet spot for the bottom 3, then the process was reversed with the bottom 3 damped. Always meant to give it a go one day to see if there is any merrit in the maddness.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 10:14:45 AM by gryder »

capo or string deadener?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
capo or string deadener?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »
quote:
Michel De Angelo claims to have invented one that uses felt from a piano on a hinge with a spring that holds the felt in either position.

Actually, I believe that it was George Van Eps who came up with the hinged string mute waaaayyy back in the 50s or 60s. You see these frequently on old electric jazz guitars. Pretty much was a piece that replaced the truss rod cover with a hinged arm that had a felt pad on it and came down just in front of the nut. It was even named for him - the Van Eps String Damper. Note, George's last name is spelled with two "L"s sometimes on this page. The correct spelling is with one "L".

Here's a link about it:
http://www.scottymoore.net/dampers.html

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Emerald Green (thanks, Jim!) * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:35:51 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

capo or string deadener?

Offline 908ssp

capo or string deadener?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 02:05:41 PM »
Hi Bob you will notice that none of the Van Eps ones used a spring to hold the damper to the strings or away. I believe that might make De Angels' claim valid. When he demonstrated it he would flip it up and down at different time in the song and because it was spring loaded it held either position. Anyway lots of stuff like that is reinvented from time to time. Like VH getting credit for tapping when some Jazzer did it in the 50's. De Angles did it to facilitate two handed tapping by damping the open strings to prevent feed back on those. Other artists like Vai and Satriani for example will reach over their left hand with the right and dampen the strings while tapping with the left. [^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

capo or string deadener?

Offline simonlock

capo or string deadener?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »
quote:
felt from a piano on a hinge with a spring that holds the felt in either position. Jenifer Batten uses one when she played with Jeff Beck

I met Batten at a clinic and saw first hand the sheer size and overcomplicated damping system she uses. I told her about Martone's hair scrunchie. Just a way easier less hideous way to do the same thing.

capo or string deadener?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
capo or string deadener?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 12:43:10 AM »
Hey Alex, Agreed that different technologies and techniques DO get reinvented for various musical needs du jour. Just as a quick aisde, the Van Eps string damper does have a spring - it's a tiny flat-style spring that works with the pivot point to hold down the damper on the strings. Here's a quote about a newer builder of dampers about Van Eps,

" By the way, the string dampers that Pat makes are real works of art, and dampen better than the Van Epps. George would have loved the workmanship. I'm sure he would have argued for a quick release "spring-and-ball" locking system (like his design), rather than the "pressure lever" Pat uses."

Having used them a long time ago, I remember that the damper does sort of "snap" down onto the strings when the pivot gets to a certain point.

Pretty cool, and used for a similar purpose back then, but for very different music.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Emerald Green (thanks, Jim!) * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

capo or string deadener?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
capo or string deadener?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 03:04:59 AM »
joe satriani's tune "midnight" should be played with one - they are a really useful asset.  they also help reduce noise when recording - as long as your conscience doesn't regard this as 'cheating'
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!