Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quality Control & Parker  (Read 8015 times)

jwrooker

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2006, 03:28:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by trap

oh boy oh boy,thats 249!

I feel a party coming on!

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Parker NiteFly M
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst
Gibson ES135 Vintage Sundburst
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Quality Control & Parker

Offline bno

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 09:27:47 PM »
Lou - if more young men were like you, I think the world would be a better place.  You don't flame, you express yourself.  You always seem to cogently articulate valid arguments on a variety of subjects and you have always exposed an inquisitive mind.  Don't let these smelly old dinosaurs give you any grief.  There is a huge difference between your youthful exuberence and our pre-geriatric hubris.  

Let me go back to a point I was trying to make.  The Fly line seems to have been pretty consistent over its short life.  I don't own a new one, so I can't say I'm the voice of experience on the quality USM era instruments.  But, I do believe that the relatively uniform quality of the Fly line has set an unusually high bar for the Parker brand.  As Parker moves mainstream with other designs the Fly is still the standard bearer.  Its a very tough act to follow.  That's just my opinion.

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Quality Control & Parker

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2006, 07:20:39 AM »
part of the reason we chose a parker rather than the traditional design is because we are fussy and picky about what we will and won't put up with.  i agree some of the flaws sound worrying, but in general we are looking at parkers with a fine tooth comb.  do people do that with strats when they buy?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Quality Control & Parker

jwrooker

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 07:43:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by David Tomkins

part of the reason we chose a parker rather than the traditional design is because we are fussy and picky about what we will and won't put up with.  i agree some of the flaws sound worrying, but in general we are looking at parkers with a fine tooth comb.  do people do that with strats when they buy?

I do that with everything I buy. I like a quality product.  Fender, Gibson, Parker..it doesn't matter.  I have to live with it and a stupid flaw bugs the heck out of me.  No guitar is perfect, my best guitars are fine by me but others may find a problem with one.  Do I hold Parker to a higher standard? Not at all.  I hold it to the same standard as my other guitars.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Parker NiteFly M
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Alvarez acoustic

Quality Control & Parker

Offline jamrcat

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 01:07:31 PM »
Adding another 2 cents here: First penny: I've been taking my P-36 apart to do some mods and I am blown away at the quality of this Parker import. The pickup cavaties and quality of the unseen rivals and exceeds any guitar I've owned. And I've owned some of the best: Martin D-12, Gibson Goldtop 72, Ovation Legend & Adamas, BC Rich Seagull 82, oh thats enough on my list [:o)] etc. With all the hype about Parker problems I think I would be hesitant to order a new one, but I've yet to see a used one that wasn't outstanding in quality!

For my second penny: My thought is that some constructive criticism can't hurt Parker's reputation as it has been well established at this point, but it sure could help if the right people at Parker (aka:US Music) is listening![:D]

Parker P36 (Red)
Adamas II 1982
Washburn RS-10V 1987
Fender Tele USA 1998
Korg AX1500G Toneworks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:34:10 PM by jamrcat »
"A Fly for each hand!"

Quality Control & Parker

Offline loumt123

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »
thanks for the kind words!

ps. I should have some pics of the parker in action at a gig tonite! maybe i'll be able to post a few

Quality Control & Parker

Offline trap

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 07:11:11 PM »
haven't seen you here in a while jim, does it have to do with what you just posted?

Quality Control & Parker

Offline supersecretjim

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 09:37:39 PM »
No actually. I still love the Parkers that I currently have, & Im really hoping that Parker resolves the issues on my Nitefly Mojo when it gets back to them.

I usually do a little Parker forum workout on my lunch break, but havent taken lunch in a while. The body shop I work in is having record month after record month. So theres that, plus Im taking more time with my son who just turned one last week.

No hard feelings here.

Actually, Im kind of interested in marks southern nitefly, if hes looking to sell it.

I just cannot justify purchasing any more new Parkers while the ongoing 2 year transitional period continues. Just the luck of the draw maybe, but three USA duds in a row kind of killed my confidence.

James W
Uncompensated Parker endorser...

05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 05 Fly Mojo custom butterscotch burst, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Trans green Nitefly Mojo flame top, Nitefly-M, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, TC Electronic G-System, Peavey XXX Combo, Crate acoustic 112 combo & Powerblock, GK 250 ml stereo combo, Genz Benz cabs, Pod XT Live, more stuff...
James W

Custom Wayne Charvel Villian, Carvin CT-6M flametop, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, 05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Nitefly-M, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra (Is there really anything else?)

Quality Control & Parker

Offline supersecretjim

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 11:02:01 PM »
""I don't want surprises like the one I had when I sold my Southern NiteFly again. (I don't want to go into details, so please don't ask..suffice it to say that I gained a ton of respect for John Page over this matter amd I owe a debt of gratitude to the buyer who has been very cool about the whole deal)"

John, what exactly was the deal with that? What happened? Sorry, Ive gotta ask...Can you just give me/us the jist of it? Did you sell someone a guitar that had issues? Does it stem from Parkers awful warranty??? Non transferable & only one year to the original owner? Did Parker take care of it for the guy you sold it to? Am I on the right track?

Parker should take note from one of the best, if not THE best amplifier mfg out there - Soldano. Even if its not your type of sound, you cant argue with the quality or the warranty... on the flagship SLO-100 its lifetime transferrable. Thats confidence in your product. Its also made with the best components they can find. No compromise. No "lets save .89 cents on this pot to increase profit 5% over a years projected sales.

Thats a commitment to quality & the customer.

James W
Uncompensated Parker endorser...

05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 05 Fly Mojo custom butterscotch burst, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Trans green Nitefly Mojo flame top, Nitefly-M, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, TC Electronic G-System, Peavey XXX Combo, Crate acoustic 112 combo & Powerblock, GK 250 ml stereo combo, Genz Benz cabs, Pod XT Live, more stuff...
James W

Custom Wayne Charvel Villian, Carvin CT-6M flametop, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, 05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Nitefly-M, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra (Is there really anything else?)

Quality Control & Parker

jwrooker

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 07:00:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by supersecretjim

John, what exactly was the deal with that? What happened? Sorry, Ive gotta ask...Can you just give me/us the jist of it? Did you sell someone a guitar that had issues? Does it stem from Parkers awful warranty??? Non transferable & only one year to the original owner? Did Parker take care of it for the guy you sold it to? Am I on the right track?

Jim,

Email headed your way!

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
'02 Parker NiteFly M
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Alvarez acoustic

Quality Control & Parker

Offline MFenkner

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »
I am a person who is in the camp of having a negative exprience with  Parkers that I've recently bought (two out of three), though not a single gripe with my '98 Fly.  I've owned numerous guitars in my life and have also helped many friends and family members buy guitars.  Sure, I've seen a few bad guitars, but I've also been blown away by the build quality of guitars sold for $200 or less.  When a $200 guitar has a better build quality than a $4K Parker Artist, it's reason for alarm to me.

With my Mojo Single Cut, there were some setup issues and I understand that it might take a little while for the staff to get up to speed on the new bridge.  The issue with the "worn" tuners is Parker just accepting a bad batch of parts (which they continue to use); they should have sent them back to Sperzel.  The issue with the "tilt-a-whirl" knobs was just plain silly with people at first denying the problem, then saying that's they way they should be; at least Gil told me they knew of the problem and was looking into other knobs.  What frustrated me most during the experience was Parker's insistence that nothing was wrong and sending me on a wild goose chase for support.  For two weeks, I was put through the mill and spent more than 16 hours of personal time trying to get support until I finally reached Gil and he helped me out.  Now that I have the issues sorted out, I love the guitar.

On my Southern Nitefly, the QA was the best of the three.  Mainly all it needed was some setup and a couple of minor changes I could do myself.  No big deal here.

My Fly Artist was the biggest disappointment for me.  For the price of the guitar and the given claims on the build quality, I'm horrified by the quality of the guitar.  I feel certain that no special technicians as involved in the building or setup of the guitar, contrary to the claims made.  Disregarding the QC issues, the dead give-away was that the tension wheel was entirely setup wrong as if the person had never touched a Parker before.  I fixed all the setup problems but could never get over the other issues in the build quality, so it's now back at the factory.  I really hope it works out.  At the moment, my cynical joke is, "What's the difference between a Fly Artist and a Fly Deluxe?  An $1800 piece of spruce."  For the $1800, you should also get a little more attention to detail in the build.

I love Parker guitars and have "converted" many friends over the years.  When I've offered criticism, it has meant to be constructive.  But what has frustrated me is when I've escalated a problem, I'm treated as a nuisance and only after truly making a nuisance of myself have I gotten any attention.

I wish US Music the best of luck.  I want them to succeed.  If they'd take some basic advice from the forums - spend 5 minutes QC time on each guitar, spend a few more dollars on pots and switches, etc - it would make a world of difference in their products.

Mark

2005 Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut, 2005 Southern Nitefly, 1997 Parker Fly Deluxe, 2005 Ovation Collectors Edition, 2001 Fender American Strat, Takamine C-128 Classical, Peavey Generation Series 2, Fender Cyber-Twin, Line6 PodXT, Korg Oasys 88, Minimoog Voyager, & Sundry Implements

Quality Control & Parker

Offline rt0412

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 06:12:42 PM »
Is this a sign of Parker getting to be more like PRS and Gibson... overpriced?

quote:
Originally posted by MFenkner

Sure, I've seen a few bad guitars, but I've also been blown away by the build quality of guitars sold for $200 or less.  When a $200 guitar has a better build quality than a $4K Parker Artist, it's reason for alarm to me.

At the moment, my cynical joke is, "What's the difference between a Fly Artist and a Fly Deluxe?  An $1800 piece of spruce."  For the $1800, you should also get a little more attention to detail in the build.

I wish US Music the best of luck.  I want them to succeed.  If they'd take some basic advice from the forums - spend 5 minutes QC time on each guitar, spend a few more dollars on pots and switches, etc - it would make a world of difference in their products.

Mark

Quality Control & Parker

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 07:36:27 PM »
Over Priced ?

http://www.stratcollector.com/corner/archives/000255.html

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo
A few Flys in my soup

Quality Control & Parker

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by MFenkner

Mark

If 5 minutes and a few dollars is all it would take for you and a few others to be happy... Then they are light years beyond PRS & Gibby. [:)]

www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

Quality Control & Parker

Offline rt0412

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 01:01:26 AM »
Are Parker guitars collector items? Some of those collectibles in the list (Clapton's Blackie, for example ) originally cost just a few hundred dollars... Clapton's Blackie Strat is not even an "original" Strat, it's a combination of parts cannibalised from other Strats.

"Right after I'd seen Steve Winwood playing his white Strat," begins Eric, "I was in Nashville and I went into this shop called Sho-Bud where they had stacks of Strats going for virtually nothing because they were so unfashionable and so unwanted.  I bought a big pile of them all for a song - they were really cheap, like three or $400 each - and I took them home and gave them out. I gave Steve one, I gave Pete Townshend one, I gave George Harrison one and I kept a few.  I made Blackie out of a group of them;  I took the pickups out of one, the scratchplate off another and the neck off another and I made my own guitar - a hybrid guitar that had all the best bits from all these Strats.

"I wore it out too.  Its pretty well inaccessible now - there's not much of the neck left.  It's worn away on either side and on the back with wear and tear.

"What makes Blackie unique for me is the fact that I made it!  It was one of the last guitars that I actually built myself, really.  Therefore it felt like it was invested with some kind of soul, you know"

quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Over Priced ?

http://www.stratcollector.com/corner/archives/000255.html

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo