Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quality Control & Parker  (Read 8132 times)

Offline loumt123

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 05:34:49 AM »
5 more minutes, a few dollars, and a little more attention to detail really would make a world of difference. I would not mind paying an extra 50 dollars or so if it meant the guitar was made properly.

Quality Control & Parker

jwrooker

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2006, 05:58:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

5 more minutes, a few dollars, and a little more attention to detail really would make a world of difference. I would not mind paying an extra 50 dollars or so if it meant the guitar was made properly.

What I don't understand is this...I've been hearing that Washburn is turning out some very nice guitars these days.  They used to be known for some pretty poor workmanship.  Now, Parkers are being built in the same plant and we're hearing of a lot of quality problems.  What's up with all of this?  I know Parkers are very different guitars to build, but a lot of this is simply carelessness on the part of the guys building them.  QC checks are not being made, component parts are being downgraded.  There's a big emphasis on the imports with the new acoustic being imported and most of the new models this year being in the P series.  Are we seeing the end of the American Parker?  What's next, a Korean made Fly?  That might actually be an improvement.

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
'02 Parker NiteFly M
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst
Gibson ES135 Vintage Sundburst
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Quality Control & Parker

Offline MFenkner

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 07:22:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

What I don't understand is this...I've been hearing that Washburn is turning out some very nice guitars these days.  They used to be known for some pretty poor workmanship.  Now, Parkers are being built in the same plant and we're hearing of a lot of quality problems.  What's up with all of this?

One possible explanation is that US Music's current quality is better than what Washburn used to be, but worse than Parker used to be.  The older Parkers I have seen were immaculate, and it seems other people in the forum share the same opinion (I've yet to hear anyone say pre-US Music Parkers had QC issues.)

Another possible explanation is that the staff at US Music are still perfecting their skills in building Parker guitars.  I hope this is the real explanation.  I've only had a little contact with Gil, the production manager, but he seems to be a great guy who cares about his work.

Some people have said that the grumblings in this forum are the exception rather than the rule and only a small percentage of guitars have defects.  I would disagree; I think this has become enough of a reoccuring theme to be taken seriously.  I participate in a few other music product forums, namely Korg, Moog, and some other synth forums, and I rarely ever see anyone complain of a problem and there is never any threads complaining about overall quality.  One time I purchased a Korg Triton Studio with a defective keyboard; within a couple of days a tractor trailer showed up at my house with a brand new keyboard.  Because of my confidence in Korg, I didn't hesitate to pay $8K for the Oasys when it was released.

Mark

2005 Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut, 2005 Southern Nitefly, 1997 Parker Fly Deluxe, 2005 Ovation Collectors Edition, 2001 Fender American Strat, Takamine C-128 Classical, Peavey Generation Series 2, Fender Cyber-Twin, Line6 PodXT, Korg Oasys 88, Minimoog Voyager, & Sundry Implements

Quality Control & Parker

jwrooker

Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 08:29:40 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by MFenkner

One possible explanation is that US Music's current quality is better than what Washburn used to be, but worse than Parker used to be.  The older Parkers I have seen were immaculate, and it seems other people in the forum share the same opinion (I've yet to hear anyone say pre-US Music Parkers had QC issues.)

Another possible explanation is that the staff at US Music are still perfecting their skills in building Parker guitars.  I hope this is the real explanation.  I've only had a little contact with Gil, the production manager, but he seems to be a great guy who cares about his work.

Some people have said that the grumblings in this forum are the exception rather than the rule and only a small percentage of guitars have defects.  I would disagree; I think this has become enough of a reoccuring theme to be taken seriously.  I participate in a few other music product forums, namely Korg, Moog, and some other synth forums, and I rarely ever see anyone complain of a problem and there is never any threads complaining about overall quality.  One time I purchased a Korg Triton Studio with a defective keyboard; within a couple of days a tractor trailer showed up at my house with a brand new keyboard.  Because of my confidence in Korg, I didn't hesitate to pay $8K for the Oasys when it was released.

I agree about the Pre US Music Parkers.  I had alwys heard positive things about build quality and initial factory setups.  Even if a player decided that a Parker wasn't his thing, they alwaus said that they were extremely well made.  

I also think that the vast majority of loayl Parker fans in this formum own pre US Music Parkers.  I've only had limited experience with Parker.  My "02 NiteFly M, purchased in '03, arrived in perfect conditon.  The build quality was excellent and the initial setup was perfect.  I haven't made any adjustments to it.  The 05 Southern NiteFly, purchased in January of '06 was a different matter altogether.  

If it is simply a matter of the Washburn guys learning how to build the Parkers, maybe better days are ahead, but I do hate to see the cost cutting in cases and hardware.   I'd rather see them rasie the price of a Fly and keep the quality.

John Rooker
Olde Pharte Guitar Hacker
Rochester, NY
--------------
'02 Parker NiteFly M
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst
Gibson ES135 Vintage Sundburst
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Quality Control & Parker

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 09:31:55 AM »
quote:
Do you know what it is like to move a house full of stuff from one end of town to the other? If you have a wife and kids you know that it is torture. Imagine moving a factory half way across the country.

I just moved about 90 days ago - wife, 4 year old daughter, 2 year old boy - (4) 28' U-Haul truck loads. What a pain!!

I don't know how I missed this thread, but it's an interesting one. You know, my Ibanez S470FM is even better than some Fenders I have played. When it comes to Gibson, well honestly, I have never played a Gibson that I liked. I guess you could say that I am a converted Strat-man. [:I]

Anyhow, just for the record, my Parker Mojo Nitefly is the best playing, best sounding, most versatile guitar that I have ever owned. The neck is perfect and the finish is flawless. I love the looks, the light weight, the design concept - well, everything! As I have said before, "Viva Parker Fly!" I know, I know, it sounds like I have Parker-colored glasses on, but I have played enough guitars over the years to know a high quality instrument when it is in my hands. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Quality Control & Parker

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Quality Control & Parker
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2006, 03:14:58 AM »
i can sympathise with a lot of the complaints - i only have the worn tuner issue on mine.  
In England, we pay a higher premium for parkers and when people ask why i blew nearly 3 grand on a guitar that in their opinion is weird and a bit ugly, i want to be able to give them a simple answer -
why did i buy/pay it?  because it is the BEST.  I challenge my friends to find an scientific/objective fault with mine, and they rarely can - it all just boils down to their opinion.  Then they understand why i bought it.

i hope the QC issues don't take this 'it's the best' argument away from me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:16:15 AM by David Tomkins »
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!