Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fly mojo potential buyer  (Read 2941 times)

Offline incognito

fly mojo potential buyer
« on: March 09, 2005, 09:39:37 PM »
I’ve had several opportunities to get a fly deluxe, which I think is an excellent guitar, used for between 1000 - 1500. I’ve been wondering though about the mojo. I haven't had an opportunity to play one yet so I’m wondering if the differences between the two guitars are significant and distinct enough to hold off and invest in a new mojo. Another factor in this decision is the factory change and buyout. Are parker still manufacturing the same quality instruments I have tried out, or are they simply a moniker at this point?

Who here has - A. tried a mojo - B. tried guitars from the new factory and - C. can give an educated estimate of the tonal differences between the two. I mean is it as different as say an SG is to a Les Paul? Or perhaps not as pronounced?

Side Thought: it would be interesting for parker to actually go above the other guitar manufacturers websites and just go ahead and provide audio clips of each of its guitars (through identical setups of course), just to give potential customers a cross section and comparison of each guitars tonal palette. don't know if that would be a complete bandwidth killer, but you know, just a thought.

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline darkest_fugue

fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 10:06:09 PM »
i own a mojo and an older supreme....its a fine guitar but has a few problems...the headstock is slightly thicker on the bass string end so the tuner sits lower in the slot making it difficult to restring...fixed it though...the new style balance wheel is supposed to stay flush to the body...mine did not and has moved forward after i redjusted it to take 10 gauge strings...im not bothered by this because i have the trem in the fixed position  and dont need to touch it...the second string saddle piezo is faulty it goes dead if i bend the string...i was talking to parker on the phone...fellow called john....very cool friendly guy...he promised me hed send me a replacement saddle so hopefully he will come through and all will be well...my pre take over supreme had a few problems of its own so im not blaming the takover its still high quality....the neck seems smaller though but it doesnt bother me...the best thing about the new models is the 6 mag tones instead of 3...i like this a lot but thats the only real advantage the new ones have for me...as for the deluxe and the mojo...the only real difference is the sound...the deluxe its brighter and more airy and the mojo is darker and a little raunchier on high gain settings...so in the end it boils down to taste...personally i always wanted a black deluxe...the are bad ass looking

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 10:10:58 PM »
I will help if I can. First off I own a '97 Deluxe (with replacement Dimarzio Parker pickups) and a '98 Classic all original. Tone is subjective and you will get many many opinions on which one is better. The other guiatrsist that I work with for an original project has the Mojo with the Seymour Duncan pickups. I have played his and it really "sustains" in your hands when you play it unplugged. We have tried many side by side comparisons between my Deluxe and Classic and his Mojo.
My take- If you like a darker sweeter tone then go for the mojo or a classic. If you want a brighter spankier tone go for the deluxe. There is a definite difference in tone. Then it comes down to tone of pickups that you prefer. I have tried Seymour Duncan pickups in some of my guitars, JB and JB junior. I personally prefer Dimarzios so that's why I decided after first owning the deluxe I wanted a mahogany bodied Parker but I wanted Dimarzio pickups and I wanted the same setup of knobs and so on as my deluxe. I do love the mojo though. It is a very special instrument. My ears just don't care for the pickups. My buddy got his mojo right before they moved factories so I can't say that we have tried anything post US Music Corps. My suggestion is start road tripping if you have to and go play several Parkers. You WILL know when you find the one that speaks to you. Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Kevin S.
www.burningindecember.com
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:27:47 PM »
I just thought of something else to add. If you wanted a little bit of both worlds you could look for a Hardtail. They are somewhat hard to find but whew what a tone! Basswood body. If you go to "wood and tone" section on the website and read the descriptions it might help you make up your decision a little easier. Still you need to play them unplugged and then preferably play them through your rig if you can.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:36:49 AM »
Just a quick note.  Here at Parker, we are very proud of the fact that we have maintained the quality and integrity of the Parker guitar during the transition.  Of course, they pay me to say that - lol!  In all seriousness though, if you do have questions about that issue, the best thing to do is to contact several of our Dealers that have been with us for some time and ask them.  You will be very pleasantly surprised at their responses.  I know, because I have asked.  Also, I was with Parker when the company was sold, and I am with them now.  You should know that the number one goal when the factory was relocated was to maintain the same level of quality we are known for even if that meant shipping only one guitar per month.

The Mojo has a hotter, fatter tone than the rest of our guitars - sort of vintage sounding like an SG.  The Classic is cleaner sounding with a lower mid-range for smooth distortion.  It also has great low-end response.  The Deluxe is edgy and bright delivering tones suited to R&B, rock, and country-western.  

John

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline incognito

fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 12:33:22 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. Road tripping is going to be inevitable I realize, although currently it seems far off. Most authorized dealers are waiting on mojos till June or July depending on color (I’m looking for dusty black myself). One thing occurred to me in reading your responses however that would weigh in favor of getting a new model over a used regardless though - COIL TAPPING. I own a schecter hellcat bass VI and this feature makes it insanely versatile. Other factors will impact my decision too though that I’ll have to sort out myself. For example I own a les paul custom silverburst reissue, now am I trying to just add to my tonal palette with a new guitar, or truly try and find a replacement flat out. This is going to be answered once I find a mojo.

This leads me to a new question: can the mojo sound like an LP? There are several things I mean by this question as well so let me clarify. Tonally I play every pickup setting between pure bridge pickup, tone at 10 all the way to neck pickup tone at 1. Can a mojo get as muffled and ethereal as that neck at 1 setting? The deluxe could not, and had a very airy tone throughout (almost like an SG combined with an ESP but higher quality and accessibility or course). This led me to believe a deluxe would only be an additional guitar for additional tones, but by no means a necessity.

If a mojo is capable of this there is a good chance I’m in the market to replace my LP. The piezo is phenomenal (what a harpsichord is to piano's the parker piezo is for electric guitars, I love it). That coupled with coil tapping would pretty much outweigh the LP in the running for my main guitar. LP's (tuning issues and all) really do look archaic next to a parker in my opinion; it's just the tonal versatility that has kept me with them. Anyway, this post is so long it's probably unreadable. Sorry guys, and thanks again for your help thus far.

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline darkest_fugue

fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 06:52:39 AM »
i did a live show last night and played the GNR version of knocking on heavens door...you can get a les paul tone out of it no problem....i play parisienne walkways and some santana on the neck pickup and it has that les paul quality ..its just there...also it nails the dire straits money for nothing tone which was also done on a les paul...my answer is yea you can get that tone...and almost everything else too

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline Entropian

fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 07:06:03 AM »
I own a Fly Mojo and what I love the most about it is that I can get the vibe of a Gibson/PRS type of sound.  I'll admit to not really liking Gibsons, but my Mojo has more clarity than most that I've played, and not to mention much easier on my back!  I have owned a couple of PRS-es in the past, and I think the Mojo is a little less harsh in the midrange.  I can't say that the sound is Gibson or PRS-like, but there is a similar sort of vibe.

To summarize my thoughts on the Mojo - it sounds fat, yet clear and sweet, it's versatile without being too intricate, and the playability knocks the socks off pretty much any other guitar I've owned.  Try one.

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline DBergsma

fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 01:29:05 PM »
Mojo....I have two.  One for each state where I play.  Don't want to transport.
I would never have considered a Parker until I met Dave Martone and then the Mojo with Duncan's arrived.  I didn't like the Fly Deluxe sound with Dimarzio's.
I'm 57 and the groups I play with seldom play more than 3 sets, but like most long time players I have a left shoulder that is less than it was at one time.  The Duncan's get it done for me and the 5 lbs has extended my playing hopefully for a long time.
After a month with the Mojo I just sold every Strat I had except a collector model.  I haven't played my PRS Hollowbody in months..though it is light also.  Though I have always played with 10's I have kept the 9's and gotten to like those also.  For the Mojo I prefer the 9's.  I would use 10's on a PRS but might try other guitars with 9's now since my feel has changed.
I'm a Mojo guy now.  Love the guitar though it did take some getting used to...about two weeks and a few gigs.  The 24 frets were probably the toughest adjustment.
I honestly think the Mojo is the finest and most versatile guitar I've ever owned....and I have owned way too many.

fly mojo potential buyer

Offline vinni

fly mojo potential buyer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 04:54:56 PM »
Well,
That's something I don't like about the Mojo....it has 24 frets!
I would like to have a Mojo with 22 frets.
I have a NiteFly SA now. Sound is very subjective...with the
Tonezone I've put in the sound is decent. Would like to try Suhrs.
My other guitar is a Vigier...it has a H/S/H configuration.
I'm considering a new pickguard for my SA where I can put these pups in. But it would be nice to see this configuration as a standard option.

B.t.w.....a singlecut Trem would be nice!....hmm...sounds familiair...

Vinni

.....back on topic....
Sunburst Parker NiteFly......Sold the rest!