Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: both signals through a single keyboard amp  (Read 1882 times)

Offline verr76

both signals through a single keyboard amp
« on: May 26, 2006, 05:03:34 PM »
i've been thinking of sending both the electric and acoustic signals (each with it's own multi-effect prossesor) to a 2 input keyboard amp.
can it be done?... what should i expect?

Offline PatricBrown

• http://myspace.com/patrickronaldbrown
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »
I think the input that takes the red(ring) quarter inch tip needs to be balanced, so as to be able to take the signal from that part of the stereo cord. I tried,,jut to be sure(I thought it wouldn't work) to put the ring end into my Line6, and, it wouldn't take, not being balanced. If you don't have a balanced input on the amp, a DI box should do it. The grey(tip) will work no problem.

I'm not an expert here, so am open to correction, additions. Kind of curious myself. The red end went in fine into a Fender Acoustasonic 30. I'm not real enamored of the power of that amp. Not bad sounding, but doesn't sound like 30 watts to me,,,not even the weaker 30 solid state watts, as opposed to tube watts. Maybe that particular amp is defective.

Pat

2005 Fly Deluxe Majik Blue
THD Univalve w/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack)
Traynor YCV20WR
Line6 Flextone III(one 12)
various & assorted other acoustic & electric
Home Studio
http://www.myspace.com/patrickronaldbrown

2000 Fly Stealth Gray Hard Tail, 2000 Reverend Slingshot, THD Univalvew/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack), Traynor YCV20WR, Ableton Suite 8, various & assorted other acoustic & electric, Home Studio

It is better to know than to believe.

Live is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 10:01:11 PM »
Hi Verr  Welcome to the parker forum. [:D]

In theory either of the split ends should be able to go into any amplifier and work just fine. Most people never have a problem. Evidently I assume Pat had the same problem I had. The magnetic output end works fine in everything I plug it into the Piezo output end works in most amps but not my Johnson Modeling amp. It should work fine going straight into your Keyboard amp. If it doesn't running it into a effect pedal might be all that it needs, that is in fact what I am doing. I run my magnetic output into my pedal board and then to my tubes amps. I run my piezo output into a multi effects pedal and then into my Johnson.

Hey Pat try a pedal that might be all yours needs. On mine the "smart switch" doesn't switch...not so smart. [^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline verr76

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 03:51:25 AM »
thank you both pat & 908ssp...
when connecting both signals to the same amp should i expect ground loops, hiss or feedback, or any of those kind of anoying things?.

Offline PatricBrown

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 08:03:26 AM »
Alex, Smart Switch where? on the Fly? Mine's a newer one with the smart input,,,if that's what you're talking about, and that seems to work fine, at least thru the acoustasonc. I just don't think that amp sounds so good. Maybe it's on the acoustisonic,,,I'll look. I've not bothered to really look at that amp hard, or use it any. Reason being, it's not really my amp, and the heir of the original owner has yet to come from TX to get what's legally hers. I'll try a pedal. With the Line 6 amp. I'd  like to get it to work though a regular amp just to see if I can. Even though it's ostensibly for acoustic type sounds,,seems to me it can work otherwise,,a la the Line 6 Variax guitar,,though the Variax has a Baggs piezo. I have a Variax 600, but it's up for sale on consignment in a Lafayette store. Interesting guitar, but it doesn't endear itself to me enough for me to want to keep it. Thanks. [:)]

PS I do have an old Rapco direct box that might work. I say might because I had it rewired so as to be able to take a fiddle pickup into an amp. The GK in fact. But one of the outputs on it seems to work as an input,,oddly enough, maybe as a result of the rewiring that took place.

I've other direct boxes I can use,,little preamps, in fact,,an Audio Buddy, an ART Tube Studio MP,,a couple of Joemeek MQ3's,,,these all have balanced ins that could handle the ring of the stereo cord.

Pat

Traynor YCV20WR
Home Studio
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 08:08:22 AM by PatricBrown »

2000 Fly Stealth Gray Hard Tail, 2000 Reverend Slingshot, THD Univalvew/one12 Avatar Bottom(Eminence Private Jack), Traynor YCV20WR, Ableton Suite 8, various & assorted other acoustic & electric, Home Studio

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »
Verr no both outputs into one amp wont give you any problems as a mater of fact it will give you less.

Hey Pat Parker calls their stereo/mono sensing preamp board a "smart switch". I bet if you put a mono cord in yours you would have no problems feeding the signal to any one amp. Now you put the stereo cord in and this splits the output but only if the "smart switch" senses the presence of the stereo hook up and it does that by sensing something from the amp. Impedance, resistance, load I am not sure what but the point is mine works 100% of the time fine with some amps on the piezo output but not with the Johnson. Yet there is nothing wrong with the Johnson It works 100% with the mechanical switch on my old Deluxe and 100% of the time with a mono cord with the 2005 Mojo. Weird [:(]

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline PatricBrown

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »
Hi Alex, Thanks. I think we're on the same page here. To wit, If I use the stereo cord out of the Fly, the smart switch(guitar input/output,,it's quarter inch jack) is working fine, because the grey(tip) end goes into the THD, and it takes fine, and the red(ring) end goes into the Acoustasonic, and it takes too. But, the red(ring) 'won't' take into a regular guitar amp, like the Line 6, and by reasoning, neither will it go into the THD and take, the reason being that the regular guitar amps have mono inputs that are made to take only a tip signal, so the ring signal doesn't register.
When my now deceased friend bought the Acoustasonic, he got a Tacoma Chief guitar, and could use a regular guitar cord,,tip, to tip, into the Asoustasonic, and it would also take fine.
This tells me the the input of the Acoustasonic is Tip Ring Sleeve, and will therefore take either a tip or a ring input having the appropriate structure to do  so,,balanced, and stereo having the same TRS architecture. That's why your Johnson won't take(I'm surmising), because it is a mono, unbalanced, tip sleeve architecture, and it would need to be a TRS or tip, RING, sleeve in order for it to flow, to take. Most DI boxes, and preamps have this TRS architecture in their inputs, and so the ring end of the stereo out of the  Fly's cord will work fine there.
This is what I think is happening.[8)]

PS The fact the ring works with your old Deluxe kind of undoes what I say above, or it says the Deluxe has TRS, OR, for some reason, the structure of its input jack is accidentally long enough for the connect to reach to the ring, which is the piezo's end of the stereo cord output. Yeah,,it is weird.

I noticed if I pulled abit on the ring end of the cord, trying to make it work in my Line6, I would hear it go on instantaneously/momentarily, but I could never seat it anywhere,,even halfway out, or whatever, to establish is good, lasting connect. Actually, I think I'd have to push it in further, which I can't do, rather than pull it halfway out,,but, it don't work. [:0]

Pat

Traynor YCV20WR
Home Studio
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 08:59:29 AM by PatricBrown »

Offline PatricBrown

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 09:06:06 AM »
Replying to my own topic rather than to keep an endless PS going, I'm recalling the stereo  outputs of Rickenbacker, and the Gibson ES-345, though I don't know how stereo this was,,whether it was just a split to two tips, with no ring structure involved, bacause back then the idea was to be able to go to two guitar amps,,nothing special about the way their inputs were constructed,,,sort of like jumpering from input to input of same two channel amp,,old Fenders, or jumpering inputs to other amps. I used to do this in the old days alot, with mono cords. You just needed enough inputs.

PS,,yet another. I've never owned either the Ric or the 345, so I don't know for sure what they were up to with its 'stereoness',,,I just thought of them in the context of the thread, but can't hold forth with any sureness on the topic.

Pat

Traynor YCV20WR
Home Studio
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 10:46:15 AM by PatricBrown »